Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by elisha552000 View Post
    That would be like saying when a new truck comes out, no I'm not buying it until it's been around for 5 yrs. By then it will have changed body styles. The way brp technology is they will probably change the motor some way within 5 yrs.
    It's not a truck. It's an outboard engine that goes on a boat. Big difference. Those of us that have been buying these rigs for awhile are familiar with the "Opti-pop" phase in for Mercury, (yep, I bought another EFI in 1999 during this phase) and the Ficht was yet another new design start up that cost some folks. You don't have anything to loose by waiting a few years.

Based on every thing I have read, seen in video, I opted for the G2 when purchasing my new boat. The ten year warranty is nice but it ultimately came down to what the owners of this engine were getting as far performance. Now I have not run mine as of yet so I can't say what my impressions are of it. I can say that I am highly anticipating ice out this season to give her a rip!

May even have to pack her up and head south during spring break just to try it out!

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    You don't have anything to loose by waiting a few years.
    Actually, you can lose a few years by waiting a few years. Completely serious.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Banned
    I have had Evinrudes in the past, but the Mercury ProXS os one reliable engine. When I stop at my dealer to get oil or whatever I see the G-2s setting in the shop being repaired on waiting on electrical parts. I will stick with Mercury.

5. Member
    I would be open minded to my options: warranty, service centers, dependability, and cost efficiency just my 2cents.

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    Actually, you can lose a few years by waiting a few years. Completely serious.
    Boat #13 with a dependable Pro XS at 436 hours and no issues. Mercury 200 EFI with 1467 hours on it prior to this one. I can wait and see how they shake out. I had an Evinrude 150XP back in the early 90's and it was also trouble free.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Boat #13 with a dependable Pro XS at 436 hours and no issues. Mercury 200 EFI with 1467 hours on it prior to this one. I can wait and see how they shake out. I had an Evinrude 150XP back in the early 90's and it was also trouble free.
    My point exactly. A good engine is a good engine. Ironically, I am on my 13th Evinrude, all great engines, and also had 2 Mercuries. The last 2 years, G2 owners have been thrilled with the performance of the engines. In one sense, the more electronic functions on a piece of machinery, the more can go wrong, but the bugs on this one have been minor and very temporary. Are older technologies safer? No one can predict what might happen to any engine tomorrow. But if a newer design offers features/advantages that the older design doesn't, those who wait, and wait, and wait some more are definitely not reaping those benefits. I'm not giving away my G1 at the moment--it's as good as or better than a Pro XS--but unless an even better design hits the marketplace, my next engine will be a G2. Life is too short to let all those advantages lie unappreciated.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    G2...seems like every low hour used merc I see for sale here on board or elsewhere has a new powerhead on it. Cant beat a 10 year warranty, plus they look dam cool IMO.

9. Member
    G2- more torque, less fuel used, no compressor, compressor bolts, belt with pulleys/tensioners, tracker valves, fuel rails etc, cleaner and quieter, longer warranty, looks better IMO, power steering, much nicer shifting, gear lube monitor bottle, ability to swap from foot to hand if you have a boat that this suits, more charging amps without the need for an external part like an alternator. From day one the G2 has been designed as a direct injected outboard, not a carby block or an automative derived block-some very cool technology going on under those colour changeable panels. As said though the best engine you can fit is the engine brand that has the best local dealer because they are all good today and they all can and do have issues from time to time.

10. Member
    Great feedback and views!!
    2018 Ranger 520L with Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Fitzgerald Rods
    Lews Products
    River Runner Baits

11. Member
    I had a 520c with a G2 and got rid of it within the year now have a SHO and will not have anything else!

G2 two years no issues. 600 ft lbs torque at the prop...WOW it's an incredible ride!

13. Member
    Have no experience with either but I have seen the G2 going in for a lot of warranty work. They take care of it but you are without boat.

Quote Originally Posted by towboaterpete View Post
    Have no experience with either but I have seen the G2 going in for a lot of warranty work. They take care of it but you are without boat.
    I did lose a fuel injector on my G2 late in the summer. I started getting an “open circuit” warning on my ICON gauge, and took it into Lockeman’s here in Detroit. The injector was replaced quickly and easily under warranty. I was without a boat from 9:30am –Noon on a Friday.

No matter what brand you hand from the back of your boat, make sure you have a dealer with a good reputation in your area.

15. Member
    Really all three of these engines run great, but they’re all a little different. To me it comes down to what you’re comfortable paying. Secondly and most importantly be certain there is a dealership that will provide you high-quality service within a reasonable driving distance.Make sure deep down inside that you’re happy with the engine you’ve selected.

Ranger, Z520c with Mercury, 250 Pro XS
    Garmin & Minn Kota

Quam's Marine, Stoughton, WI

I like the Opti. The rude is just plain ugly to me. It might run good and have a great warranty but Id still have to look at that ugly thing everyday.

I question all the guys claiming to see the g2 at the shop all the time and they don't own one, why are you there???
    1995 Viper 201D
    1995 Johnson Venom 200
    Gas mileage is for sissies

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I question all the guys claiming to see the g2 at the shop all the time and they don't own one, why are you there???
    I agree. Every Mercury shop has a two-three week wait for service. 10 year non declining factory warranty...you bet the G2 would be my pick againif you want a list of the benefits,PM me

G2, I have had all three and had good luck with all of them. Performance, fuel consumption, power steering, auto trim, switch between hand and foot throttle, 10 year warranty I am staying with the G2!

I wouldn hesitate to own a G2 but the Ranger Cup Z520C I'm buying has a Merc. That 10 year warranty is huge!
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12