Question Recessed Foot Pedal - '96 R72

Hoping someone can assist. I've read the boards, but no one seems to have asked about my model of boat, and I am unsure if there is something about mine that may be different. I picked up 96 R72 that is in immaculate condition, perfect gel coat, no tears, etc, etc. The issue I am having is the trolling motor pedal (MK Maxxum) being on the deck and I would like to install a recessed tray.

Has anyone done on on this year/model? Issues or concerns I should think about? I am aware I will need to run a drain plug to the PVC or livewell. Will the firmness of the deck become more bouncy because of the tray area being removed?

I called Ranger, twice, and was told it was not a good idea to install but I have checked these boards and it seems lots of folks have done it. Ranger said the concern would be water getting in the insulation, which I will avoid via the drain hose. And they said I may cut into the livewell, which I do not think I will even be near when I am cutting the hole.

Thanks in advance for the help!!!
    Last edited by JTnWI; 01-27-2017 at 04:01 PM.

2. Member
    I haven't done my r70 because I am afraid the pedal will be too close to the seat post. Otherwise I would cut away.

I have an R73 and looked at putting recess in but it would cut into my center storage locker.

4. Member
    I don't know about your boat but your concerns are the same that most everyone has,no matter the boat. If you do the install,you should seal the cut edges of the deck and the foam. If not,it will absorb water.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. My boat is in storage in my MIL's barn, may need to go measure to see if it will work with the seat post. I found some pics on Google and it looks pretty decent. In taking a second look the guy may have moved his seat post back into the front live well.....odd. Pic in link below.

I have no center rod storage, although I wish I did.

Rip Bass - Good call on on sealing the edges.

Did he move the post?

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/amer...K8nykGPhCtWt4Q

6. Member
    Looks like it to me. I guess that would work but that lid would need some serious reinforcements. It is hard to see but it looks like the tray extended to where the old pedestal base was.