Thread: 22 Nosler

22 Nosler

Anyone gonna pick up a new upper or rifle chambered in this new round. Sounds like a fad but maybe it will be a hit.

2. Member
    IDK......let us know what you think.

What is the twist rate for a Nosler though?

I've seen some 17 HMR stuff coming out now for uppers as well as complete rifles.....NO idea how they are operating/performing. Alexander Arms has there own version as well. I'm sure that Bill did his own research to make it work though. He sure made the 6.5 Grendel work, so I don;t see why not.

3. Member
    NEVERMIND.............I had to go look it up just to see what it was........So basically it's an 6.8 SPC necked down for a .224 bullet. It it truly made to perform in a 1:8 though.

Way to new for many to know much about it right now. No one is producing it either, so you will need lo reload all your own it seems. You can buy all the brass directly from Nosler it seems. $78.00 PER 100 You supply your own bullets as well.......Load data says 55 to 77gr bullets.

Varget seemed to work the best for lower 3 bullets as well. All but the 77gr.

This cartridge shoudl make a lot of Predator guys happy though

22 caliber cartridges are legal for deer here and a 77 grain bullet at near 3000 fps is intriguing.

5. Member
    I would still wonder what the practicality of it is supposed to be, other than a new load.

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    I would still wonder what the practicality of it is supposed to be, other than a new load.
    Cartridge development has never been about practicality, if it was we would have never moved past the 7mm Mauser or the 30-06, it's about filling a perceived need. Pretty much the same with rifle sales, people want what they are used to using and our returning G.I.S are the ones buying and it's been that way ever since there were armies. The doughboys of WWI and bolt rifles to our soldiers now using AR 15's. The Nosler is a niche cartridge that will work well from Varmits to hogs.
    Last edited by 11pounder; 01-30-2017 at 10:36 PM.

7. Member
    OK, I will rephrase.......What is the perceived need then? I don't see it being utilized as a good hog load, varmit/pred....Yes, maybe I am missing that part though. Sure, a 77gr might have just enough to do it, but may not knock em down......I could be wrong, I just know too many using 120's or higher to do that job. Maybe we are just overloading or over thinking it??

The Nosler won't do anything that the 22-250 or the 220 Swift won't do except fit in an AR 15 platform, that's what's selling so everybody is trying to come out with the latest and greatest for that platform with the fewest modifications. Yes the AR 10 is out there but not every one wants a heavier rifle and my under standing is that the AR10 is not as modular between different manufacturers as the AR 15. Myself I prefer a larger and heavier projectile, I'm really not even a fan of the 243, but me personally if I'm going to use a larger caliber it would be a bolt gun.

I don't know about this 22 Nosler. But I have a 26 Nosler in a Christensen Arms Carbon Classic. I like it but hole for hole, my .264 Win Mag shoots just as well.
    .22 wildcats will always come and go. Something about them appeals to someone everywhere. I'd rather have the .220 Swift which has been around much longer and proven itself.
    1999 Ranger R91 / Mercury 200 EFI.