2003 150 Optimax Mercury Issue

Hi guys i have 2 Mercury optimax 150 hp with 400 hours.
    Engines runs great! But...
    Recently the Port Engine came up with an issue.

The engine runs smooth and perfect .I stop , fish and then start the engine again..the engine stays idle. I give throttle , nothing happens the engine doesnt get any power. Another time the engine went to maximum 2000 rpm, then i stopped the boat again , restart the engine and is there idle speed ..NOT getting any power at full throttle

I come back home ...with starboard engine. The day After i start the port engine again and its perfectly fine.

I also changed the switch 1/2/ALL...but 3 days ago i got same problem. The gauge gets crazy and say power sensor check engine. it looks like something engine temperature related ..
    It happens after 1 hour or 2 i use the engine

Thanks for help

2. Member
    Serial numbers are useful.

I would definitely look at the throttle cable: how it is attached at the motor, how it as attached at the throttle handle. Sounds like the cable may have come out of its retainer on the motor. It will sometimes hit the throttle linkage and rev; at other times it will miss the linkage and you'll get no response.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

3. Member
    thanks for the suggest grybrd..i will take a look at it

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Moving thread to the correct (2.5L) forum.

Since you received fault information (indicating you should also have received a warning horn), it will be necessary to obtain the reports shown in the link below:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor