Thread: At wat distance

At wat distance

At what distance does a LEO qualify at on a pistol range .

2. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    When I went through Mississippi's academy (1993), we shot out to 50 yards. Qualifications, however, basically followed the NRA PPC (Police Pistol Combat) guidelines for stock service revolvers and semi-autos. That is; a certain number of rounds (48 total, I believe; some standing, kneeling, supported/unsupported, strong hand/weak hand) fired at 3, 7, 15 and 25 yards.

Your mileage may vary.
    Who controls John Gill?

3. Member
    0, 3, 7, 10 and 15 yardage......some of the one's still doing 25yd qualify are not up to date it seems I know a lot still do it, but you only have to have 4 shots on an entire FBI target to consider it a hit (Range-D if I recall).

the #"s don't lie though......89% of all lethal encounters happen inside of 21 feet.

4. Member
    Used to be out to 50 yards. When I came in it was 25 max. The past few years we've maxed at 15. Our state mandates some rounds at 15 but longer shots are not mandated. Individual agencies can chose to go beyond 15.

5. Member
    A very good guy I met several years ago (passed from cancer though) was retired LEO. He told me that when he joined the PD, they were shooting at 50 yards. I do not recall what year he was in PD when they were still doing that, but I remember that. So I can confirm that statement based on what he told me as well.

After 25yrs he said they were down to 25 yds but only 4 had to be on the very large paper.