side imaging distance question

When looking at side imaging, do you have to take the water column into account when figuring out how far away a piece of cover or structure is? For example, let's say I have the side imaging shooting out 100 feet to each side of the boat. The water is 20 feet deep, and I see a big tree halfway between the boat and the 100 ft mark on the left side of the screen. Is the tree 50 feet to the left of the boat, or is it only 30 feet to the left since the first 20 feet of side imaging shown on the screen is the water column?

SI does not show horizontal distance, it shows slant range or distance between the subject and transducer.

You have to do some creative cyphering to calculate the horizontal distance of the oblique image.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member

4. Member
    Ok, so if I move the cursor over the object, is it going to tell me how far left/right the object is, or is that also utilizing the slant range?

5. Member
    Yep, you can put the cursor on the structure and hit Mark and it will make it a waypoint if you have si navigation turned on also. Then you can leave it in si screen and the boat icon will turn the direction you need to go and help navigate to the target waypoint

6. Member
    Now that right there is pure Kentucky wind age I don't care who you are It's rocket science 101. I like it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post