School me on ARs

Getting ready to get my first AR. Going to be my predator gun, and since I already have a .223 bolt gun, I'm going with either .204 or 6.5 Grendel. My questions are do I go with a complete, ready to shoot gun, or would it be better to build my own from the ground up? Also, what brands do y'all recommend?

The sky is the limit. Depends on what you want to spend. I'd build one personally. I'd go 204. I bought a 204 bolt gun and it is becoming my favorite calling rifle. My beloved 243 is feeling neglected.

Their are so many deals on lowers and uppers a build would be hard to beat. Anderson had lowers for 39.00. It's really just up to you and how much you want to spend.

4. Member
    for overall cost of everything to go to a new cartridge, and the fact you have a .223 bolt.....stay with 5.56 or a .223 Wylde.

JMO of coarse.

The rest is up to you though. Lots of Yote guns around here are typically 18-20" though. Helps get distance closer on MOA than a 16" out to 300yds. Can still do it though with a 16" & the right glass though.

5. Member
    Thanks guys. Ive decided on the 6.5, gonna be running handloads through it since my buddy has the dies for his 6.5, now what kinda uppers/lowers do you like? Local gun shop that I frequent said he'd let me have a complete Palmetto lower for $200, plus Rock Rivers 2-stage varmint trigger for $100. is that a pretty good deal? also found a complete upper from model1sales.com I like but I haven't heard much from that company. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by HydrillaGorilla16 View Post
    Thanks guys. Ive decided on the 6.5, gonna be running handloads through it since my buddy has the dies for his 6.5, now what kinda uppers/lowers do you like? Local gun shop that I frequent said he'd let me have a complete Palmetto lower for $200, plus Rock Rivers 2-stage varmint trigger for $100. is that a pretty good deal? also found a complete upper from model1sales.com I like but I haven't heard much from that company. Any input?
    Go online and you can beat that. Their are numerous places that sale them cheaper.

7. Member
    ^^^^^^ what he said. Go online. You can buy a complete lower from palmetto state directly cheaper than that. Keep an eye on slickguns.com for deals. I know radical firearms sells a 6.5 complete upper or Alexander arms.

8. Member
    Complete lower for $200 I can do better than that now with an Anderson lower with a Hogue grip on it.

PSA has Blem lowers on sale right now for $150
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...-magazine.html

if you wanted to upgrade the trigger a bit get this for $30 more.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-a...d-trigger.html

Find a good 6.5G upper with BCG & CH & your done as far as that goes.

9. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    If you have never built one before, for a long range run I think I would get one off the shelf.
    As Brandon said there is some great prices on uppers right now and lowers are cheap, But most uppers are in the 5.56 or 300BLK version.

Once you start pricing out some high end stuff that you will need for long range you might be better off with a Rock River or like brands.

10. Member
    Thanks fellas, sorry its took me so long, works been killing me. But I think I've decided on an Anderson lower and I'm 99% positive I'm gonna get the upper from model1sales. Guy I work with has bought 3 from them and they all seem to be very good quality. Now if my taxes would hurry up and get here