New Hunting Rilfe

Getting back into deer hunting after 20+ years. Looking at a 270 or 30-06, pros and cons. Wanting to spend between $350.00 and $450.00. Best gun and make for the money. Thanks

2. Banned
    7-08 hands down. Howa lightning for $329.00

3. Banned
    270 for me. Remington 700. Can buy them at walmart.

30/06 for me.

I am also a .270 Win fan, but pretty much any caliber from .243 Win and up will do nicely on Whitetail. Comes down to personal preference. Any of the major brands (Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, Howa, Sako, etc.) build good rifles these days. Keep in mind that a quality scope will be needed to take advantage of a good rifle.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

6. Member
    The short-action rounds are nice due to the length of bolt travel so .308 and 7mm-08 rank higher in my book than the two long cases you mention. There's also the issue of recoil. The 7mm-08 posts similar ballistic numbers to the .270 but the recoil is a little over half of an '06. There are a bunch of good shooting bolt actions in your price range. Most will come with synthetic stocks. Go to a gun shop and shoulder a few dozen. Some of the best values on paper just might not feel good to you.

Good luck and have fun

7. Banned
    I agree. Shoulder a few dozen and you could eliminate a few dozen

8. Member
    Look up the ballistics for the rounds youre interested in. The 7-08 is hard to beat.. it has virtually no recoil to boot.

I agree with Aaron...I prefer a .308 to the two you listed...if I had to choose between the two you listed, I've never owned a .270, but have owned 2 .06s. Don't have either of them anymore. I do have 2 .308s now though. Go to a gun shop, shoulder a few, see what feels good, see what you like. I prefer Brownings and do own one model 70 chambered in .308. The disadvantages vs advantages for bolts and semis to me don't really matter when you make the first shot count. There are too many makes out there to tell you this one is better than that one...they all make good rifles now...the thing I like about Browning bolts compared to others is the action is set at 60° instead of 90° plus the handle is a little longer do it allows for a better grip as well as more room for the scope and your fingers when mounted lower on the rifle...I think the Weatherby Mark Vs are set at 54° . With those two you're getting into a lot of money though.

I agree 100% with the scope recommendation...put a quality scope on whatever you choose. You will not regret it as you know, if you've ever hunted before...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Member
    I have alot of rifles in different calibers and have turned to .308 for the less recoil....I have a Browning A bolt micro medallion in 7mm 08 that is a sweet rifle also..
    30.06s are starting to beat me up in my old age..
    There is nothing wrong with the Ruger American if you want to be budget conscience..I have one in .308 with a big ol Nikon scope that I use for long range plinking...
    I hunt with a Browning A bolt in .308

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I have alot of rifles in different calibers and have turned to .308 for the less recoil....I have a Browning A bolt micro medallion in 7mm 08 that is a sweet rifle also..
    30.06s are starting to beat me up in my old age..
    There is nothing wrong with the Ruger American if you want to be budget conscience..I have one in .308 with a big ol Nikon scope that I use for long range plinking...
    I hunt with a Browning A bolt in .308
    Check out the tikka line in you're caliber of choice

12. Member
    If your going to use for anything larger than deer 30-06, if you want a lighter, less recoil, flat shooter, that can also be used for coyotes and varmits, with the proper load, 25-06

I am really a fan of the 30.06. You can get a wide range of loads for it and the recoil is not that bad. My squaw is 5'1 and shoots the hell out of one. With in 250 yards a deer or hog is as good as on the table.

14. Member
    I been shooting the 270 wsm for several years and it was great then bought a 300 wsm I really like it even more, the short mag with the smaller actions run a bit lighter in gun weight as well

I have a vintage 1981 Remington 7400 in 30-06 with under 100 rounds fired and the original box that I would part with...

Quote Originally Posted by cape cod basser View Post
    I have a vintage 1981 Remington 7400 in 30-06 with under 100 rounds fired and the original box that I would part with...
    I bet that's nice...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

17. Member
    Lots of good advice. I picked up a little Marlin xl7 in a 25/06 a few years ago and it is lights out on WT deer. I have a Vortex Viper 2-7 on it and wouldn't trade it or sell it for anything even though I have a number of higher dollar rifles, mostly Rugers. But I hear a lot of people talking about the 7mm-08. I have only shot one and that was a Rem. 7 in the caliber a number of years ago now. My first thought was, I can't believe everyone says there is virtually no recoil with that caliber. Must've been the way the gun fits me. I have had 3 different 25/06's with the Marlin being the lightest of the 3 and I have watched every deer shot with one go down in the scope. But...this weekend I picked up another Marlin, this time a SA in the 7mm/08. Nice rifle and only had to give $210 for it at the local gun show. Waiting on the rings to come in to mount the scope and we'll see if it is a shooter like my other one and check out the recoil. The reason I say this is, just as the gentleman above mentioned the Ruger American Rifle, I can say that my experience with the little Marlin has been nothing but positive. They are no longer made, I don't think, but I have seen several used one at my LGS as well as the gun show. My LGS has one now in a 243 with a Nikon 3-9 on it for less than $300. Can't beat that. Take your time from now through the Spring and you should be able to come up with a good used gun and make your $$ go further. Good luck!