Upstate Ny (REAL upstate, not 15min outside NYC)

1988 Cajun 175 Espirit

Hi all, new to this style/brand of boat. i am looking at a good shape 1988 175 espirit, and i haven't seen it yet in person. The seller tells me the floor is fiberglass and not wood. Is this true? (i asked condition of floor). i can't seem to find the answer on the interwebs.

Also, there is a 200hp on the back, and from what i see most have 150hp max. Is this oversized? i'd worry about the transom stress.
    Was also wondering about issues with this brand/model, i don't see many in my area, mostly nitro/rangers around here..

Thanks in advance

There should be a coast guard rating placard in the passenger compartment that lists max. HP and load limit for passengers. That model should be 150 hp max, according to iboats.com specs. If placard states 150 and it's got a 200 on the back, it is certainly a red flag - from a safety and liability standpoint.

No idea if the floor is wood. My '95 Ragin Cajun has wood floors, so guessing older models may have them also...?
    Did previous owner replace the old floor with fiberglass encased wood? Something to ask about.

My 85 Grand Bateau is wood flooring.

4. Member
    Upstate Ny (REAL upstate, not 15min outside NYC)
    Thanks for the help. He did confirm it was rated for 150hp like I thought but but said " the motor weight is the same and it has a quarter inch aluminum transom plate, so it should be fine."

i wouldn't be doing holeshots with it but would always be wondering how the transom is inside.

5. Member
    When I redid my carpet on 1995 Rajun Cajun the sub floor was fiberglass and the carpeted floor was plywood on top of that fiberglass floor.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

6. Cajun Boats/MN Fishing Reports Moderator DJ from MN's Avatar
    The main issue is not if the boat will handle the extra HP or not (it will) but you have any kind of boating "incident" and your insurance company will suddenly not know you.

7. Member
    I'm late to this thread, so it may be a moot point. I have an '88 Espirit 195. Great boat. Absolutely love it. I assumed my floor was wood and tried to reattach a loose corner of carpet by stapling upward from underneath via the opening in the center of the floor. No way. Definitely fiberglass. It's possible that's subfloor, and that there's wood floor directly under the carpet. But if it's wood, it's on a subfloor of fiberglass. No bend or give whatsoever in that floor.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ from MN View Post
    The main issue is not if the boat will handle the extra HP or not (it will) but you have any kind of boating "incident" and your insurance company will suddenly not know you.
    That's a very nice boat, and as much as I like Cajun's, you should pass on this one.

9. Member
    I have a 1989 Cajun Esprit 175 and the floor is most certainly fiberglass.
    The coast guard sticker says max 150 hp with dual steering.
    Anything else just let me know