Why does my Yamaha Vmax keep flooding out once a trip. 150hp

2. Banned
    What model and year?

3. Member
    2006 I don't know model off top of my head. It is carbed

4. Member
    2006 I don't know model off top of my head. It is carbed

5. Banned
    Are you sure its carburetor? Yamaha started making EFI's in 2000, HPDI came out in 2003, does your cowling have OX66 if so its an EFI.
    EFI, HPDI or carb?, model is needed to offer any assistance.

6. Banned
    Check the carb choke plates. Ensure they stay open after motor is warmed up.

7. Member
    VX150tsrd is the model

8. Member
    I just saw 3 double carbs in front of the motor so I thought it would be carbed but there's the the model number

9. Member
    They do stay open

10. Member
    You may have a float needle not seating correctly from time to time.

11. Banned
    A VX150 is an OX66 fuel injected model. No carburetors. Six throttle bodies. Fuel injection.

But there was no VX150TLRD model offered here in the USA. Last version was a VX150TLRC.

There was a V150TLRD offered in 2005.

What are you hearing, seeing, smelling, feeling when it is flooding out?

12. Member
    Hearing=motor just turn over and over and spit once
    seeing= relay just a motor but once it starts little bit of blue some
    smelling= fuel light amount
    feeling = frustrated other that that everything is strong runs great once started it does ideal rough right after start.

13. Banned
    VX is an injected motor, no carbs. Can you post a pic of the front half? I assume you know what carbs look like...well, maybe not.

14. Member
    I will do that this evening. Can you give me both situations carberated and fuel injection

15. Banned
    On a carb motor you may have a lift pump leaking into the crankcase, choke plates not functioning correctly or like Charlie suggested the flote is out of adjustment and needle not seating/closing off fuel. With efi you need to test the lift pumps diagrams for leaks, clean mesh screen behind the fuel pressure regulator and if problem persist have the fuel injectors serviced and validated for proper flow.

16. Member
    It's only happing on start up and once a trip. You make it sound serious for still being able to run 59mph. I checked the model num again had my buddy check it while I was at work and he was wrong. And it's v150tlrd the carbed model.

17. Member
    Check low pressure fuel pumps. Unbolt the two pumps and squeeze primer bulb. No fuel should leak from fuel pumps.

If fuel pumps are leaking, plugs foul, idle is worse, and engine will stall.

Check spark plugs.

A great improvement is installing an electric fuel pump. I have the 2003 model of the same engine. Electric fuel pump conversion was a great upgrade. I followed the advice of many on these boards. Plenty of instructions on this board.

18. Member
    Did installing the elitrical fuel pump fix being tuff to start when cold.

19. Member
    Fuel pump diaphragm are just fine. Spark plugs are black with deposits on them

20. Banned
    Electric lift pump is not a good option on a carb motor. Yes, it can be done but the pressure must be very low and it may flood the carbs.
    It seems to me that it would be best if you have someone work on this motor that has at least basic operation knowledge of components on the motor. Not saying you cant fix it but you may do more damage then good especially when it comes to fine tuning the carbs. See if this helps next time you are out. When you stop to fish, trim the motor up so that the prop is just under the surface of the water. Try to start the motor in this position. You reducing exhaust back pressure and at the same time excess fuel that is trapped in the motor won't flood the cylinders. If the motor won't start and you see fuel in the bottom of the pan have a machanic do some diagnostic test on the fuel supply and the carbs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast