Floor Repair 96 201 pro xl

In removing the gas tanks to replace the fuel lines, I noticed that the floor on my boat is in need or repair. I thought the soft spot in the floor was the typical near the drain Stratos mini trampoline. I found out quickly that the floor is cracked/de-laminated (see pictures below). The crack is located inside of the yellow square and is 2-3 inches of the center of the line. The picture with the screw driver is where the crack is. The composite under the tanks are good solid and the floor at the bow near both seat inserts are solid as well. This area seems to be the only soft spot.

I would like to get opinions on the next steps and also information on where the stringers (right word?) are located under the floor. If more pictures are needed let me know.

P.U.S.H- Pray Until Something Happens

Where the screw driver is is a common crack. Read on the restoration forums for further explanation and help. I did a re carpet on my 99 273 last spring and had the same issue. Sand it down and use a water resistant fiber glass filler and blend it in nice and smooth. This is what I used.

https://www.amazon.com/762-Bondo-Hai.../dp/B000CINDQ8
    1999 Stratos 273 DC
    1999 Johnson 115
    2021 Ram Limited

3. Member
    I just did the floor in my 95 201. The rear isn't too bad to replace. It's 1/2 " marine plywood. Take that screwdriver and tap all around to find what bad and whats good wood. Remove all rotted wood. Make simple straight cuts, the seams will be easier to do later. I used a circular saw set at 1/2" and of the oscillating tools to make my cuts near the outside edges. I made a cut straight across behind the consoles. Make a template out of multiple pieces of poster board taped together. Doesn't have to be exact but close. Theres a 2×2 cross piece near the drain, check it for rot. The stringers on theses are composite. They are fiberglass foam filled. There is a thin luan wood in them that rots and you can flex the top portion of the stringer. Fix this if needed. You'll need at least a gal of West System with activator, Coloidal Silica to thicken the epoxy for the seams. Enough fiberglass cloth to overlap your entire repair new to old surfaces, 3" foam rollers, fiberglass roller, throw away 2" paint brushes, qt mixing cups, bondo type spreaders, latex gloves and qt acetone . There are tons of you tube videos on using West System but basically it mixes 5:1 with the proper activator and for seams add Coloidal Silica til toothpaste to peanut butter consistency. Make a plywood strip to connect the new and old floor at the console from the bottom Once your wood is cut out epoxy the under side 2 coats with a foam roller. Once cured over night, epoxy and screw the front piece under the old floor, epoxy the tops of stringers then place the new floor piece in boat, screw it to the stringers wit stainless screws slightly counter sunk.. Lay out your fiberglass cloth making sure it overlaps all seams. Sand old floors with 80 grit for adhesion. Clean all seam areas with acetone. Make your epoxy for the seams and fill them. Working in two halves wet the floor pretty good with epoxy and lay your cloth down rolling the air out as you go. Make sure to overlap everything. Do the other side.

4. Member
    As far as materials go try and find a fiberglass supplier. The epoxy can be 30% cheaper if you can buy under a business name. The cloth by the yard will be significantly cheaper as well. I used foam rollers, mixing cups, latex gloves and acetone from Walmart. The marine plywood was expensive but we'll worth it.
    Also if you don't need fancy carpet check out Overtons. They send a free sample card and put on sale regularly. I used outdoor carpet glue and trowel from Lowes.
    All in all not too hard a job to do. Maybe a little intimidating, watch lots of videos on YouTube or at Jamestown Distributors. Best advice is take your time and don't cut any corners.

5. Member
    Thanks for all the post about this,the floor has always felt like there was no support under that area.I have a 1993 Stratos 201 Pro XL with the same floor problem I will tackle this winter.I have noticed that everyone I have fished in also have a fuel smell in the storage compartments.Any body noticed that?

I completely replaced the floor in my 94 201 Pro XL, and increased support by glassing in blocks between the stringers. Rock solid now, and I took pictures all along the way while the floor was out so you can see what's under there before you cut. Just PM me if you need pictures before you start, I'd be happy to share.

7. Member
    I would just clean it all up and let dry add a coupler layer glass and epoxy across the (line ) where the two meet .Over time it has broke free .
    US Composite in Fla . has some good stuff and fast shipping .
    I would put down one layer and let dry ,then add other . I would put 2-3 layer on top of all of it after fixed the seam .

8. Member
    I would like to see those pics of your floor if you don't mind.I have a 93 Iv'e got to do this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 230fishing View Post
    I would like to see those pics of your floor if you don't mind.I have a 93 Iv'e got to do this winter.
    Here's a link to the folder where I keep the pics of my restoration process. The floor is one of the first things I did, so those pics are near the top.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Ek?usp=sharing
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL 2004 Mercury 200 EFI