Question megaware keelguard

Anyone ever bought a keel guard longer than recommended and run it all the way up over the hook ilet? Reason I ask is where my keel goes over the roller and where the ilet is, it's a little messed up. I was thinking I could get a longer one and cut a slit in it to go over top the hook ilet to cover that mess up. Anyone done this?

2. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Megaware (and others) also makes bow guards that cover the fiberglass around the bow eye.

3. Member
    Yes, I currently have one on there, It was a pain to put on. Very hard to get the bend of the keel to fit perfect. It keeps pulling away from the boat, I've tried epoxy to glue back holding it with a 2 x 4 for a few days while drying and it keeps pulling away. I was just thinking about the keelguard all the way up would work. Wanting to see if anyone else done it.

I had the same issue with my bow protector. It came loose and I lost it on a rough day when I speared a large wave

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

I'd think the roller pressing and rolling against it could cause it to delaminate after a bit - the roller is a lot of centralized force in that area.

6. Member
    Yea, castingcall I think your right. I'll prob try to redo the bow protector I currently have, or just get another one.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I'd think the roller pressing and rolling against it could cause it to delaminate after a bit - the roller is a lot of centralized force in that area.
    I don't follow. You think the roller pressing against the bow protector will cause delamination? If that's the case I sure don't not want another one

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    I don't follow. You think the roller pressing against the bow protector will cause delamination? If that's the case I sure don't not want another one
    I meant running a keelguard strip all the way up to where the bow roller would press against it. I just picture a rolling pin on bread dough - and the keelguard getting squished (and possibly popping loose) from the pressure when it's cranked down.
    Disclaimer - I have no proof, only offer conjecture, and likely don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Use at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    I meant running a keelguard strip all the way up to where the bow roller would press against it. I just picture a rolling pin on bread dough - and the keelguard getting squished (and possibly popping loose) from the pressure when it's cranked down.
    Disclaimer - I have no proof, only offer conjecture, and likely don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Use at your own risk.
    Ahh I got ya. Your theory makes sense.