Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

10 YEAR WARRANTY HAS A LOT OF PEOPLE INTERESTED!!!

What do you all think about the release of the 10 Year Warranty?

Would it make any of you die hard Mercury guys do a double take?

zacktarner@thayersmarine.com
    860 887 8315

It makes me wish I didn't have one kid just graduate from college and another in their first year...

3. Member
    I think it already has.
    With the price of outboard repairs it makes sense. Plus E-Tecs are sweet mills.
    2005 206
    BRP 225 H.O. (E225DHLSOF)
    Fury 4 24p @ 5,750 fully loaded

4. Member
    E-tecs aren't bad motors and they are offering 10 years?! This is why I ordered it over the mercury

5. Member
    When considering a new outboard we all have our preferences, but if one goes in with an open mind the G2 offers unrivaled torque especially where a boat needs it, it is the cleanest engine made today, it offer unmatched fuel economy and offers the boater many user friendly features, it is able to be colour matched to the hull and throw in this 10 year warranty you guys are getting up there then it is hard to beat.

6. Member
    10 years warranty have definitely put the G2 on the map when buying anew rig, with that said the minute you drive one and experience the torque at low and mid range you will wonder why you waited so long to get one, plus you add in the fuel mileage it gets then you really light up some bells.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    10 years warranty have definitely put the G2 on the map when buying anew rig, with that said the minute you drive one and experience the torque at low and mid range you will wonder why you waited so long to get one, plus you add in the fuel mileage it gets then you really light up some bells.
    Do you know how it compares to a 2005 E-Tec as far as torque?
    2005 206

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumb View Post
    Do you know how it compares to a 2005 E-Tec as far as torque?
    Would be very surprised if anyone has recently checked, or will check, the average torque output of a 2005 E-Tec. But the G2 beats all current competitors in this area, so....
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

The 250 HO G2 puts out over 600 ft.lbs. of torque at the prop. A G1 puts out somewhat less than that but still more than almost every other motor of the same size.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Member
    Tried searching for engine torque for a 225 H.O. but no luck. Mainly just HP and displacement numbers.
    Wonder why torque is not specified more?? Is it not as important with outboards as I would be with say a truck?
    2005 206

11. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Tried searching for engine torque for a 225 H.O. but no luck. Mainly just HP and displacement numbers.
    Wonder why torque is not specified more?? Is it not as important with outboards as I would be with say a truck?
    It is just as important on a boat, but a) there are far fewer boats sold than trucks, making detailed marketing less financially viable, and b) boats vary a lot more in hull design--not to mention propping, loading, and so forth--than trucks do, so apple-to-apple comparisons (of how the torque of a certain engine affects overall performance) are harder to come by on boats. Very rarely does a new engine design come along that significantly raises the bar in a key element of performance. It takes millions for an outboard manufacturer to stage a worldwide campaign promoting a motor, and tens if not hundreds of thousands just to publish detailed performance specs on an engine. My guess is that in the past, the torque numbers for G1 engines were not considered a substantial enough advantage over the competition to warrant publication costs. Those numbers have got to be out there somewhere--they don't just slap engines together without testing to see what they'll do--but not necessarily easy for John Q. Public to find.

[Can you tell I used to be in the business? Not saying I have all the answers, but I relate to what I believe might be their perspective.]

12. Member
    Makes sense.
    Since I run bigger water and have a heavier boat than normal I'd like to have as much torque as possible to help out when things go south.
    It does seem mine has enough torque especially since I've found a prop that works. It gets up to speed a lot faster then other boats I've driven and I'm sure my 206 Champion is not the slickest of hulls.
    Last edited by magnumb; 01-27-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    2005 206

13. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You put your finger on a big deal regarding torque, and that is the ability of the prop to convert torque into forward boat movement. Just remember that once you've found the most effective prop, more torque equals more power. [I think we are still more or less on topic.]

-----

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Seahorse!

16. Member
    What engines are included with the 10yr. warranty, G1, G2, both ??

Quote Originally Posted by unknown angler View Post
    What engines are included with the 10yr. warranty, G1, G2, both ??
    Both
    -----

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    People are so closed minded! I got one with a slight hesitation. Wow these things are awesome. Love everything about my 250 G2

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5NCULLKY View Post
    People are so closed minded! I got one with a slight hesitation. Wow these things are awesome. Love everything about my 250 G2
    We are seeing almost the same thing with the advent of the new small-displacement diesel pickups: guys who are buying them report immense satisfaction, while guys with older technologies in their trucks claim the sky soon will fall. Particularly vehement are the guys with Mercury underwear, which I just don't get. I follow the threads on this subject with interest and rarely if ever see anyone who's had Evinrudes for decades--with very good experiences--bad-mouthing Mercuries. But the other way around? Hoo boy! Must take a lot of Tums to get to sleep when you're that cranky!

I get it...Mercury gives most of their "pro staff" guys $2,500 to $5,000 off of a brand new motor every year and they will offer this discount to just about anyone the dealer will endorse...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast