Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
  1. RIP -April 30,2023
    sounds good. let me know when you are ready

2. Member
    I'm ready. Sent you a pm...

3. Member
    How does a foil do in rough water. I try not to jumps waves but can the foil bend on a hard landing? How does it affect steering at all speeds? In rough water I'll have my jack plate as low as possible how does the foil react to this setup? I've had a foil(bryans) sitting in my garage for a year and scared to drill the holes and have issues fishing the Great Lakes.

Thanks
    Last edited by jasonG; 05-25-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    Nitro z21

4. RIP -April 30,2023
    id be lying to you if i said a foil couldnt be tore up. it seems if it can be broke, ill tear it up. the ss foil seems to hold up the best. if you stay in rough water, id get the stainless over the aluminum. the ranger guys that have my foil can tell you what to expect as far as handling. ive got a stroker and have not seen any ill effects of a foil. i was in the absolute worst water earlier this month with 2 other guys in the boat and had the boat almost straight up in the air and landed on the back of the boat at one point. i told the guys with me that when we get back to the ramp and the foil is still there, it would be a miracle because we landed so hard many times. to my surprise, its was still there.

5. Member
    Thanks Chris you and Bryan make great foils. I don't think you were around with your foils at the time of my purchase. You definately have that wow factor with your product. I just may finally today decide to install the foil.
    Nitro z21

6. RIP -April 30,2023
    i was making foils back in the 90's just nothing like what im doing now. bman is good dude. install his and later on, if you decide you want a pimped out one, let me know.

7. Tony C
    Ordered my foil, can't wait to get it!
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

8. Member
    Sent you a PM Chris.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

9. Member
    Ran my foil yesterday everything is good. Was fishing a tournament so no time to play around but one major negative is I got a tremendous amount of back wash over the motor coming off plane even with goosing the motor. That is something I was not expecting or never heard about.
    Nitro z21

10. RIP -April 30,2023
    try bumping trim up just as you sit boat down. that will change the angle of the foil and should get rid of the water splashing on back deck. do you have negative degree wedges by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    Ran my foil yesterday everything is good. Was fishing a tournament so no time to play around but one major negative is I got a tremendous amount of back wash over the motor coming off plane even with goosing the motor. That is something I was not expecting or never heard about.

11. Member
    No wedges
    Nitro z21

12. RIP -April 30,2023
    try bumping trim up just as you sit boat down. do you know if you jackplate was built with extra negative tuck?

13. Member
    No idea looks like a normal atlas. I'll try the trim. To be honest we had a great day we didn't run much so most times I was no where near the trim limit for this hull. Looking forward to see how it works with the tempest. With my bravo I didn't notice much
    Nitro z21

14. Member
    I have a Mercury Optimax 150hp. Would it make a lot of difference to my motor? How much are they?

15. RIP -April 30,2023
    every boat will be different but yes. some have reported holeshot has been cut in half, some more and some less. ive done them for 25hp to 400hp outboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez517 View Post
    I have a Mercury Optimax 150hp. Would it make a lot of difference to my motor? How much are they?

16. RIP -April 30,2023
    price varys depending on model and how you want it finished. anywhere from 130-226

17. Member
    Z18 w/150 4S

Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    Howdy,

I have asked this before, however, I will put it out there again to see if anyone has any new information.

Regarding the foil’s performance, has anybody noticed a change in fuel economy? Specifically, by being able to run on plane at lower RPMs?

I have Z522D and, while I have no performance concerns about the boat at all, it would be nice to run on plane and at slower speeds and RPM’s for economy and safety purposes in treacherous rock infested waters.

Take care,

Ruddiger

19. RIP -April 30,2023
    sorry, just seeing this. i have not had any feedback on fuel economy when going slow or going fast for that matter. normally, if it has effected something in a bad way, i would have heard about it. i havent seen anything on my boat setup either. anyone have feedback on fuel economy? also, you can tear a foil up in rocks but i suspect that before they hit the foil, its gonna break the prop, skeg and lower unit up first due to the mounting height of the foil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
    Howdy,

I have asked this before, however, I will put it out there again to see if anyone has any new information.

Regarding the foil’s performance, has anybody noticed a change in fuel economy? Specifically, by being able to run on plane at lower RPMs?

I have Z522D and, while I have no performance concerns about the boat at all, it would be nice to run on plane and at slower speeds and RPM’s for economy and safety purposes in treacherous rock infested waters.

Take care,

Ruddiger

20. Member
    I’ll chime in here. I’ve had my foil on quite a while not. I have seen zero negative effects. It’s some of the best money I’ve spent on the boat. Fuel economy has not changed from what I can telL.
    2005 Ranger Z21 2005 Mercury Optimax 250XS Serial#OT999281 25P Mercury Tempest +

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast