Engine swap question (Yamaha to Mercury)

hello, i have a older champ with a Yamaha Pro V engine Serial # P200TLRP, what are the things besides the engine i would need if I wanted to swap it out to a Mercury engine? and how would i go about re-wiring from yamaha to mercury?
    I apologize if this doesn't make any sense, new at this stuff. thanks

2. Member
    You will need controls and cables. Maybe a prop depending on the exact change. Gauges maybe and maybe not depending on what type of gauges you want and what you want them to do. Wiring depends on the gauges. And an ignition switch and main cable engine to console. Oil tank if 2 stroke.

Depending on the year and if you have a trim gauge, the older yamaha trim gauges won't work with a Merc.

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    More $ to change it all over. Most keep to the same brands because of controls/cables.

5. Member
    does anyone know if the 91 yamaha ProV200 are 20" or 25" shaft?

6. Member
    20" on pro vee

7. Member
    Okay I pick up a mercury 150 that is on a ocean type fishing ski boat, it looks like the controls looks different and bigger box than what on my yamaha, will the control box from the Mercury fit on my boat?
    Also the throttle cables on the Mercury seems to be longer will it still work on my bass boat?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    What is the model number on the Merc? Yes the throttle cables will work just give them a nice loop. The control box designs are different but should mount in the same holes on the boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    What is the model number on the Merc? Yes the throttle cables will work just give them a nice loop. The control box designs are different but should mount in the same holes on the boat.
    Mercury is a Black max 150, I don't see a model number but serial number is 6635267

10. Pat Goff
    I sure hope it's not a 25" motor. That will not work
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Put a tape measure on the cavitation plate and run it up to the base of the motor if you get 20" you are good if you get 25" you are not good.

12. Member
    I measure and looks like it's a 20" shaft

13. Member
    How or where can I get the correct length throttle/shift cables? The throttle/shift cables that were on the ski boat is alot longer than my ones from the Yamaha, I need to find the same length throttle/shift cables as my yamahas

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You can use either Merc or Teleflex cables you can get them anywhere.

15. Member
    Do I order the same length cables as the ones that was on my yamaha? Or do I need it a little longer?
    The throttle and shift on my yamaha motor was on the driver side of the motor but with the Mercury motor it's on the passenger side which will be a little longer stretch for the throttle/shaft cables