Thread: Polaris techs

Polaris techs

Do we have any Polaris rzr techs on the BBC ?
    I've got money I haven't even spent yet!
    2011 Nitro Z8--200 pro xs

2. Member
    What is your question?
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMS View Post
    What is your question?
    Rebuilt top end due to dusting, timing chain jumps now.Everything done per FSM.

4. Member
    I am assuming you are confirming the timing jump because the timing marks don't line up again a period of run time.

Did you replace the timing chain?

Did you replace the chain tensioner?

I would also check the bottom sprocket. Some of those are a keyed way setting with others being pressed on, they will shift.

5. Member
    Yes, marks don't line up after trying to start. Won't run for more than 5 secs. Did not replace chain (only 3700 miles), replaced tensioner. Hash mark on case split lines up with pto piston being at TDC. Timing chain will jump while trying to turn over manually.

I'm going to remove the head again and check for damage. Ordered new head bolts again, new head gasket, new timing chain guide, Alba racing automatic chain tensioner. We'll see what happens this time.

6. Member
    I would replace timing chain also, they are pretty cheap and are known to stretch. I would ditch any automatic tensioner for a manual one in a second. I did this to all my race bikes because the auto's are junk. I don't know of a manual one for a RZR but I have not looked into one before.

It sounds like the bottom sprocket is good by what you said.

When you are setting your timing, once it is set turn the motor over manually with a wrench and recheck your marks. Do it a second time with the plug in so it builds some compression and puts a little more stress on everything.

7. Member
    Everything worked perfectly before the teardown. Just used oil.

8. Member
    Tore it down again, no damage to valves but the chain jumped again. Going to install new chain guide, alba automatic tensioner and put her back together. We'll see what happens this time.

9. Member
    Are you sure that the timing is changing as you rotate it?
    Are you saying that the marks on chain aren't re-aligning with the marks on gears?
    Most engines it takes several revolutions to before the links will line up on the gears.

10. Member
    Timing mark is on the flywheel. Timing chain sprocket marks line up perfectly, but you can visually see the chain jump when rotating by hand. After 1 complete rotation the mark on the flywheel is about a quarter inch off.

11. Member
    If you can see the chain come off while hand rotating the motor I would say you have an alignment problem. I would check your cam sprocket and make sure it is fully seated. I would also take a close look at the chain for kinks.

12. Member
    If you can see the chain come off while hand rotating the motor I would say you have an alignment problem. I would check your cam sprocket and make sure it is fully seated. I would also take a close look at the chain for kinks.
    I did the above,alignment is good and I looked the entire chain over for kinks.Talked to the dealer and he said this is common. He said to line everything up and start he engine without doing a preliminary rotation by hand. Said that the fast turn of the starter won't let the chain jump. Does this sound correct ?

13. Member
    Ther harsh engagment with the starter is what usaully cause the chain to jump. I would try turning it over manual while pushing on the chain guide through the tensioner hole with some force to see if it skips. It mite take a second person to do this.

I really don't like the idea of the first time turning the motor over after messing cams with the starter. If you have missed anything that could be an expensive push of the button.

14. Member
    After reading the FSM a little more it says to turn the key to 'on' 6 times letting the fuel pump prime the system before cranking. This could be part of my problem.

15. Member
    Installed new timing chain tensioner, white plastic insert on timing chain guide, primed fuel system and liftoff!

16. Member
    Well that is good. I really don't like automatic tesioners. They just don't work. Honda had a lot of problems with them with there 600cc street bikes for years. Any machine i have owned I have switch to manual ones.

17. Member
    Well that is good. I really don't like automatic tesioners. They just don't work. Honda had a lot of problems with them with there 600cc street bikes for years. Any machine i have owned I have switch to manual ones.
    I'm going to give this a try for awhile. It sure is a lot quieter without the polaris tensioner.