Flashed SHO and Yamaha warranty?

I'm seriously thinking of re powering my 1999 ZX210c with a new SHO. I was just planning on getting the 225 since that is the hp rating but after researching and checking with a couple different sources it appears that it is possible to change a 200 to a 300 by simply flashing the ECU. This process also is as simple as unbolting your current ECU and sending it off and for under $1000 it comes back re mapped. So if this is the case it seems silly to spend the extra money on anything more than the 200...
    Unless there is a issue with the motor under warranty. Will Yamaha stand by a motor that has been altered? So i guess this is the only snag and I am interested to see if any of you have had any personnel experience with this or have at least talked with Yamaha to get there take on it.
    Last edited by Limitfish; 01-23-2017 at 09:26 PM.

2. Member
    Yamaha will not warranty it if they find its been flashed, how ever, buy the 200 break it in with ecu an put some hours on it, then buy a new ecu an have it flashed an if anything happens put your factory ecu back on an take it in. you will be about the same money as the 225 but have a 300.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limitfish View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of re powering my 1999 ZX210c with a new SHO. I was just planning on getting the 225 since that is the hp rating but after researching and checking with a couple different sources it appears that it is possible to change a 200 to a 300 by simply flashing the ECU. This process also is as simple as unbolting your current ECU and sending it off and for under $1000 it comes back re mapped. So if this is the case it seems silly to spend the extra money on anything more than the 200...
    Unless there is a issue with the motor under warranty. Will Yamaha stand by a motor that has been altered? So i guess this is the only snag and I am interested to see if any of you have had any personnel experience with this or have at least talked with Yamaha to get there take on it.
    ZX250 300SHO

3. Banned
    I don't think that I would be discussing committing fraud in a public forum. But that is just me.

Conspiring to commit a crime (conspiracy) is sometimes seen as being more serious than the crime itself.

4. Member
    Exactly what I've been trying to get at.

5. Member
    Technically, it will void the warranty. I would assume Yamaha knows about this and is working on some way to recognize the flash. I would also assume that if you buy a new ECU that it would look real weird that your motor had the same hours every time you took it in. Say you went for your 100hr service then a year later it blows and you bring it in with 100 hrs still on it I think it would raise a flag. Then they send someone from Yamaha, they see the bolts that show signs of being worked and 2+2

6. Member
    I encourage everyone to stop and think for a minute --- If you don't do right then it won't be right.

IF anyone wants an ECU boost...
    at least wait until the warranty runs out ....
    an engine/transom not designed for that extra 50-100hp will probably have mechanical consequences you have not yet thought of...

Has anyone "proved" with legit research that 50-100hp produces more serious stresses on key internal parts... OR does not?...
    if not then a 200 and a 300 should have (or can have to save factory $$) the same internals or almost all the exact internals (beyond the block size)...
    IF the basic stresses/wear are the same...right?

Has anyone seen any posts or heard of any Yammy owner the past 10 years reporting NO issues after 100 hours of upgrade...
    that would sure help the constant posts about ECU upgrades?
    It sure seems a 25hp upgrade is a lot less risk than a 50-75hp jump...why does that just seem that way? Hummm.

(BTW, I had a couple of ZX200s HT-ed...one a carb one & one an HDPI back when...6mph gains were thrilling SO I UNDERSTAND)

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

8. Member
    If it helps anyone I flashed my 200 SHO ECU at 10 hours. I now have just under 300 hours and have not had an issue or put a wrench on my motor other than basic maintenance (oil change, spark plugs, fuel filters, lower unit gear oil).

9. Member
    The 4.2 200sho is the same motor as the 4.2 300 fourstroke, thats where they are getting the tune is from a 300 fourstroke an putting it into the ecu. my zx250 is rated for a 300hp so it should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by reelman View Post
    IF anyone wants an ECU boost...
    at least wait until the warranty runs out ....
    an engine/transom not designed for that extra 50-100hp will probably have mechanical consequences you have not yet thought of...

Has anyone "proved" with legit research that 50-100hp produces more serious stresses on key internal parts... OR does not?...
    if not then a 200 and a 300 should have (or can have to save factory $$) the same internals or almost all the exact internals (beyond the block size)...
    IF the basic stresses/wear are the same...right?

Has anyone seen any posts or heard of any Yammy owner the past 10 years reporting NO issues after 100 hours of upgrade...
    that would sure help the constant posts about ECU upgrades?
    It sure seems a 25hp upgrade is a lot less risk than a 50-75hp jump...why does that just seem that way? Hummm.

(BTW, I had a couple of ZX200s HT-ed...one a carb one & one an HDPI back when...6mph gains were thrilling SO I UNDERSTAND)
    ZX250 300SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Technically, it will void the warranty. I would assume Yamaha knows about this and is working on some way to recognize the flash. I would also assume that if you buy a new ECU that it would look real weird that your motor had the same hours every time you took it in. Say you went for your 100hr service then a year later it blows and you bring it in with 100 hrs still on it I think it would raise a flag. Then they send someone from Yamaha, they see the bolts that show signs of being worked and 2+2
    This is not accurate. The warranty is not voided by modifying the engine. The Magnuson-Moss Act allows aftermarket modification and the manufacturer must honor the warranty unless they can prove the mod caused the damage. Yamaha's knows this and if you read the warranty it doesn't state the warranty is void if you mod. It states that if the damage is deemed to be from modification they will not replace the defective parts.

11. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    This is not accurate. The warranty is not voided by modifying the engine. The Magnuson-Moss Act allows aftermarket modification and the manufacturer must honor the warranty unless they can prove the mod caused the damage. Yamaha's knows this and if you read the warranty it doesn't state the warranty is void if you mod. It states that if the damage is deemed to be from modification they will not replace the defective parts.

There are now 100s of flashed Yamaha ECUs...100s of mercs too....don't know of ANY that has a issue due to the flash and denied warranty...guess it could happen but I believe that would depend on your warrantee-ing dealer.....

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokerSmoker View Post
    There are now 100s of flashed Yamaha ECUs...100s of mercs too....don't know of ANY that has a issue due to the flash and denied warranty...guess it could happen but I believe that would depend on your warrantee-ing dealer.....
    Agree with you 100%. On top of that there are tens of thousands of modified vehicles on the road. It would be hard pressed to prove that the mod did the damage and the reason for the Act. Manufacturers figured they could blame a mod on a bad design or installation at the factory.

Heck, the 1st VF250XA that my dealership got in blew a head on 1st tart. Yamaha took the engine back and realized that the bore wasn't round which caused the piston and rings to seize up. Sometimes I think the people responding are mechanics who think they know the law. BTW, by law a dealership can't charge you for anything covered by warranty including shop supplies and diagnostics. I wish I would have known that a few years ago when I had warranty work done and a dealership charged me for shop supplies and diagnostics. I complained and got nowhere. The manufacturer washed their hands of it and said they aren't responsible for what the dealership does. This is a boring read but explains a lot about the rights that protect us as a purchaser.

http://www.klgates.com/files/upload/...sues_hines.pdf