Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JJ's Magic Dye ??

I have been wanting to try this for years, but never did. I finally ordered a bottle of chartreuse last week to dip some craw pinchers and lizard/worm tails. The only words of caution I have read is to not spill it in your boat, especially on carport. Do you simply dip them down in the dye and lay them out to dry? Is it okay to go ahead and dye a whole pack of lizards and put them back in the original bag after letting them dry. When you are dipping on the fly while fishing, how long do you have to wait before that plastic is ready to fish? I assume the garlic smell is an added bonus, or maybe it's the primary feature. Any tips on JJ's Magic?

Thanks!!

2. Member
    I use Spike-It in the plastic bottles. I got a couple small Plano Stowaway 351001 boxes with the extra tray removed. Put heavy paper towel pieces in the bottom each of the 5 slots, and tape more paper towel in the lid bottom. Slots will hold the bottles very snug when stood up and you lay the bait on the paper towel in the lid after dipping. Works EXTREMELY well and you about got to kick the box to spill any!
    LEGEND ALPHA 199DCX / 225 PRO XS MERCURY

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I've used JJ's for the last 3 years. Like any dye, it will bleed a bit on other baits if you store them side by side, but not badly. I dye mine at home, lay them out on paper towel to dry for 3-4 minutes, and then pack then in my bait boxes. Just to be safe, I'm careful to align the treated baits so that I don't get chartreuse heads on some, from bleed through. If I let them dry longer, like 24 hours, that might help, because I've found that if baits stored together are going to get discolored by their neighbors, this occurs fairly quickly. If I dye a bunch and don't notice any bleeding the first trip out, those same baits will then be "color-fast" until the cows come home. Like any bait additive, there are days the bass seem to prefer fresh-dipped baits, with that strong garlic odor, and days when it doesn't matter at all. Personally, if I was going to pre-dye a whole bag and place them into a loose fitting bag, where they could slide around and come into unwelcome contact with the dyed portions of others, I'd let them dry overnight to let the dye set up better. I've never tried this, though. Instead, I pack them rather tightly, in small groups, so rubbing contact is minimal.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    I just dye the baits as I go. I switched to the markers though, just less mess. You don't need to wait as long for the marker to dry either it seems. I don't wait anymore than 5 seconds or so. Works pretty good.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

5. Member
    Do not open the bottles when they are hot. You will have dye everywhere.
    Larry Plummer
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL PD
    1994 Johnnson 200 Venom
    2006 Tracker Pt170
    2006 Merc. 25hp 4 stroke

6. Member
    As stated, do not spill and do not, I repeat do not open bottles when they are hot. In extreme heat, put the bottles in the cooler.
    I only dip as I go and as soon as I dip the bait it goes in the water. The color and scent will stay on forever. There is no fading or loss of scent like you have with Spike-It. JJ's is potent and powerful but I feel the benefits outweigh anynegatives. It's the only dye I use now.
    Here's a tip.... Wrap two layers of plumbers thread sealing tape around the threads to ensure the bottle doesn't leak.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Just dip in water after you use the dye. The color will be set.

What he said!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier fisherman View Post
    2015 Ranger z119c, 225 Mercury ProXS

A guy I know was dying the tails of some Zoom lizards, and his wife asked why dye the tail. "To attract the fish", sez he. She suggested he try dying the head of the lizard, where the hook was. It worked as well or better, from what I was told. If you're going to dye plastics, do it in your own boat, or do it at home...

I also switched to markers. I keep them in a small ziplock. When I need to dye something, I remove the marker and turn the edge of the ziplock inside out and lay the bait on the out-turned side. I dye the bait and let it dry a few seconds. Then, put the markers back in the bag and fish. If the markers begin to dry out, pop the end off and use an eye dropper to draw some dye form a bottle and drop it in the opened end of the marker. Don't over-fill or the dye will run out all over everything! I have some markers that I have used for a long time by refilling them several times.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Member
    Something else to note, I found out the if you dip a Zman plastic bait into JJ's magic it will dissolve the bait. Lost 3 ends of my hula sticks before i realized it was the dye., Now my chartreuse dye is full of black and red glitter haha

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hblancet View Post
    Just dip in water after you use the dye. The color will be set.
    Brilliant! I knew this, but didn't make the connection. From now on I will dye at home, dip in water there, and then pack for use. I carry the pens in my boat for emergencies, but they aren't as bright and haven't nearly as much scent. I have an older
    spike-it spray can that does a nice job, nicer than a pen, but still not as nice as JJ's.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier fisherman View Post
    For those of you with concerns about the hot exploding JJ's magic bottles.. These bottles simply do not explode.. Yes..the dye bottles can build up pressure in extreme heat... However if you will just slightly crack the top a small amount you will hear the air purge.. (Think of it as opening a can of soda that's been shaken up) Once you stop hearing the escaping gases then it's safe to open as normal.. Also If I'm not mistaken JJ has changed to a different self purging top on his product bottles to help further with the pressure build up issues.. Please also take a moment to read the warning labels on the side of each bottle.. You will note that it's advises to store the product at a temp of less than 95F.. For those of us who live and fish in hot climates a small cheap soft sided cooler stored out of direct sun light will keep the temp of the bottles down to an acceptable level..

Another note of advise is to make sure you store the bottles in an upright position.. With the new self purging lids.. if the bottle is on it's side and a pressure build up occurs it will push the liquid dye out around the cap seal causing a spill.. Pressure related spills can easily be avoided by taking a piece of foam and making holes large enough for the bottles to slide down into holding them snuggly in an upright position..

With JJ's there also no worry about baits bleeding onto other surrounding baits.. JJ's magic is not an acetone based dye like the other bait dye products in the plastic bottles.. Once the baits are dry they will not bleed even when stored together..

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WCCT View Post
    I just dye the baits as I go. I switched to the markers though, just less mess. You don't need to wait as long for the marker to dry either it seems. I don't wait anymore than 5 seconds or so. Works pretty good.
    I have switched to the markers also. work just about as well as the bottle dye and as WCCT said a whole lot less of a mess and potential spill issue

15. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kadas View Post
    I have switched to the markers also. work just about as well as the bottle dye and as WCCT said a whole lot less of a mess and potential spill issue
    If you think the markers work just about as well...either you've never used JJ's or else I need to switch to your brand of markers. JJ's is easily 3 times as bright and penetrating (into the bait) as any marker I've used. Please note, though, a little dye is sometimes all it takes, and in fact, more effective in some situations than a super bright dye. But some colors and plastics are more resistant to dyes, which is where a stronger compound like JJ's really shines (pun intended).

16. Member
    My local retailer has had a lone bottle for the past few years. Each time I go in, I notice how much less is in the bottle. I guess it evaporates through the lid to some degree.
    Question everything!

I use JJ's clear. It really does help the bite. Don't get it on your fingers.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishaholic Ty View Post
    Something else to note, I found out the if you dip a Zman plastic bait into JJ's magic it will dissolve the bait. Lost 3 ends of my hula sticks before i realized it was the dye., Now my chartreuse dye is full of black and red glitter haha
    Ive dipped zman lure and havent had any issues. Here is a TRD that I dipped

Attached Images Attached Images

19. Member
    Try it with the hula stick and all you will have left is a terd and no skirt

20. Member
    Dont have hula but have zinkerz, finesse wormz and big trd no issues with jj's wonder what is different with the hula?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast