Thread: Lund Impact XS

Lund Impact XS

Life is getting to the point where a 19 foot bass boat, while terrific for fishing, is not the most family friendly option. I have a 2 year old and another on the way and we learned this past summer while on vacation that a bass boat is tough with a little one, nevermind two. I absolutely love my boat but I want my kids to be able to come fishing and have some more space, not worry about falling off the deck, etc. Also will be good to do some tubing and whatnot when they get older.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a leftover 2016 Lund Impact XS with a 150 Merc 4 stroke. Given that the 17's are on the way, I feel I'm getting a pretty good deal on it with the options it has installed. Curious if anyone here has the IMpact XS or the Impact and have any thoughts on it. Also interested to hear what people are running for trolling motors. I'm leaning towards the MK Ulterra with the 60" shaft, but not sure if that shaft size is overkill....I don't fish the great lakes or anything like that. I've crawled all over the boat and like the layout and features. I know I'm giving up some front deck space and will be dealing with the higher sides but seems like a pretty perfect compromise.

2. Banned
    I own an Alumacraft Competitor 175, which has similar specs, and have a 60" terrova I Pilot up front. If you're not fishing rough water, you may not need the 60", but if your next only choice is a 45", I would definately go 60"! I did not see any length option between a 45 & 60 on the Ulterra...???

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I have a 2014 1875 impact with the 150 Merc. It's a great boat. Get the 60" TM. I have the MK Terrova with Ipilot. Mine has the fold down aft seats which gives me the option of a very large back deck or 2 additional seats. Have the dealer put a boarding ladder on the back, will be needed with a family. PM me if you have other questions.

4. Member
    Thanks for the insights guys. Sounds like the 60 inch trolling motor is the way to go. I do fish a lot of shallow water at times and the power trim on the Ulterra I can see coming in handy.

I think the boat is a pretty good compromise between fishing and family. The XS that I'm looking at has the fold down seats and ladder already included so good there. The other options included are bimini top, hydraulic steering, upgrade to the pro seats and air ride pedestals, stereo, bow cushions, ski pylon....and I'm sure a couple I'm missing. Pretty much everything I would want to put on at this time. Heading to the dealer Saturday to finalize things.

5. Member
    Hi there I will lend my opinion as I have a basscat but fish out of my cousin's 1775 impact. The boat fishes really nice in open water, he has spot lock on his MK which is a nice feature. I think for that size boat the storage and layout is really nice, actually a lot nicer than the 1994 alumacraft competitor 185 that I had before my basscat. I will say the two things that continue to bother me with that style of boat and my previous boat was 1) getting blown around the lake and 2) this is a big one for me but every time I am in his lund we are wet. If there is any kind of wind and you are not hitting the waves straight on we are sprayed. I am sure a bit of it can be corrected by trim but the rails on these boats throw out a nice spray and it inevitibly finds its way back. All that being said it is a really nice multi specie platform.

6. Member
    I also have a 2014 1875 Lund impact sport you will get blown around more than a bass boat the Lund has higher sides. I've honestly never gotten wet in my boat but I have a full windshield. I absolutely love my boat there are times I miss my bass boat but I would not hesitate to tournament fish with my impact and my Kids also love it compared to my old bass boat. PM me with any questions.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

7. Member
    I figured the higher sides would be one of the negative points, but I'm hoping to offset some of that with the Ulterra and using spot lock when fishing open water for smallmouth. Glad to hear those with similar boats like them for the most part. There will definitely be things I miss about the bass boat but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

8. Member
    It will be worth it.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

9. Member
    I went from my 19 ft bass boat to my 1775 Lund last year. I ran the bass boat for 15 years before getting back into multi species. Best move I made. I have the 115 Mercury on the back and a Terrova 60 inch up front. Definitely need the 60 inch on that boat. I have spot lock and works beautifully for smallies and walleyes. I also have gotten the itch to troll again and I have riggers now too trolling for trout and salmon as well.. My only negative with my boat is I have vinyl floor on the front deck. Without carpet the lids on my storage compartments and the livewell rattle and slap in rough water. my buddy has same boat with carpet and everything fits more snug on the front deck. I have had water a few times slosh out of the front livewell running in rough waters because of this.. Other then that love the boat.
    2004 Ranger 520 vs
    2004 Mercury 225 Optimax

I went from an aluminum bass boat to and aluminum multi species (not Lund) and haven't looked back. Enjoyed the hell out of it last year and just waiting for the weather to warm up again. Wife loves it, too. A longer TM shaft on the these taller v-hulls is a must.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

11. Member
    Went to the dealer yesterday and finalized all the details. Thanks all for the thoughts on the boat, it helped a lot in the decision making process....and to be honest was a little bit of a "support group" for making the jump out of the bass boat. It will be a long couple of months before I pick it up, leaving it at the dealer for now since everything is frozen up here. I'm sure I'll immediately start tinkering/planning upgrades but very happy with what I ended up with.

12. Member
    Much info on Lunds here. http://www.walleyecentral.com/