Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lund 2075 ProvBass update #1

Alright, you might find in my posts as I go through this process that I’m a picky person when it comes to my boats. So far, the 2075 seems to be a great choice although I found something yesterday that I was disappointed to find. I knew going in that the rear storage wasn’t dry. In looking at it closely, I know for a fact that it will be wet for sure. Lots of gaps there and no drainage except in the boxes themselves. Anyway, like I said, I knew that going in although I still think they should fix those back 2 boxes to be dry in their design. The ones under the seats are understandable. (Note that this is only an issue with the XS version, the regular bass layout seems to not have this issue).

I had justified this though with the fact that the front boxes which are seriously massive are dry with huge lips around the lids to keep water out. I had banked on the fact that these would be dry but after some work on the boat I see that isn’t going to be the case either. In the front of the boat, you have a thin aluminum 3 part panel as you can see in the pic.You can see that the removeal of 4 screws will remove each panel. When you remove the panel though, that is wide open under with direct access to the front boxes. So if you were to stick your hand down in there and head back toward the console, there is nothing there to stop you . What that means is that you have a flat panel with no lips, no direct contact with the side and the water will have no choice but to leak into that front box which then has no choice but to keep going in the back box. This is disappointing. These front boxes need to be waterproof but this is poor design keeping that from happening. A little tweak of the design would solve for this easily. I just hate not being able to count on dry storage. Only time will tell how bad the leak will be but physics will dictate that a leak will occur and potentially a bad one.

There is some hope that the center box will be dry but we’ll see. There is a tray under that middle section that will trap the water but I haven’t checked yet to see where that will route to. This isn’t enough to make me regret my decision and I’m still excited about the boat but I’m going to share the good, bad, ugly here because I would have loved to have had this info when I was looking.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Any chance you took a picture of what is behind there? I assumed there was a falls floor in the storage compartments and room underneath for water to escape if a lot of water managed to find it's way behind that panel.

3. Member
    Can you just run some rubber in the seams or a small bead of silicon?

4. Member
    I can get some pics. Just haven't had time yet. There are no clean seams to silicone so that is out. Think of it as one big hole that has a flat piece of aluminum sitting on the top of it. The "seams" on the outside don't have a flush fit to the gunwale of the boat. It's kind of hard to describe but I'll try to get some pics out. Not sure about the false floor. I don't see any drain holes in there if that is the case.

5. Member
    You'd probably have to run a scope to see but I doubt that Lund would put so much thought into the channeling of water on top to neglect the fact that the cover panel is not a 100% flush fit and would allow water in to the front of the boat before the compartments. I'd be interested to see but I would have to assume there is a way for water that gets in there to make its way to the bilge area without going through the storage compartments.

I know its not supposed to be a viable solution for a 50 grand boat. But with seeing how big those compartments are. I wonder if you could put some plastic totes in there to keep items for sure dry. Watching the video from the guy at BR with the 18 foot model I think I saw he has a milk crate in his to store items. Again I know it doesn't make up for the fact its an expensive boat and should have that stuff worked out. I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    I know its not supposed to be a viable solution for a 50 grand boat. But with seeing how big those compartments are. I wonder if you could put some plastic totes in there to keep items for sure dry. Watching the video from the guy at BR with the 18 foot model I think I saw he has a milk crate in his to store items. Again I know it doesn't make up for the fact its an expensive boat and should have that stuff worked out. I'm just thinking out loud I guess.
    Good idea

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by basscatcher89 View Post
    That sucks. If it's anything like mine, the compartments are shaped a bit awkward plus,they do not lock. Could buy locks for them though. The bow of my boat doesn't slope like that, it comes off the TM deck at 90*. I keep a toolbox, extra rope, and extra pfd's in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    That sucks. If it's anything like mine, the compartments are shaped a bit awkward plus,they do not lock. Could buy locks for them though. The bow of my boat doesn't slope like that, it comes off the TM deck at 90*. I keep a toolbox, extra rope, and extra pfd's in mine.

I know I sound corny but that compartment up there has always just said LUND to me. Just from growing up and watching Al's crew fish out of them I always noticed it. I wonder if it would of solved this problem.

10. Member

pics

Alright, got some pics for you fellas on the front compartment "issue". Again, I don't see how it can keep from leaking but maybe they have found a way to divert gravity from that area of the boat. I have already thought of adding some kind of boxes or other things in those huge boxes to organize my stuff. Actually already have a milk crate or 2. They make pretty good plano holders. Also thought about adding a rubber mat like the ones with grids in them to keep stuff off the bottom. In the first pic you can see how the "seam" is. That gap on the left goes straight down to the storage box. It is like that on both sides. The other pic shows an angled view of the starboard side with the panel removed. You can see right in the area which is fully open to the front and ultimately the second storage box on the boat.

11. Member
    Looks like the false floor is there but extends further up into the bow and could possible collect the water and send it into the compartments. It is hard to tell from that photo. My assumption at this point is the amount of water that would get in that area would be minimal and I wouldn't worry about it but I can certainly understand your concern.

If the tray is offset from the lip of the cover plate though, I would assume the water would just fall into the hull and make its way back to the bilge. Again, hard to tell from the photo.

12. Member
    In the first picture it looks like a section of weather stripping/bulb seal might do the job.

13. Member
    Here is one more pic looking straight down on the starboard side.

14. Member
    That pics makes me think you should be fine. Only time out in a rain storm will tell though.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    Here is one more pic looking straight down on the starboard side.
    The first wave over the bow will prove or disprove your theory

16. Banned
    Run a silicon bead around the opening and put the covers back on.

Hard to find a boat that stays completely dry in a down pour. They all leak eventually.

17. Member
    My pics must not be clear enough to show it. There is no seam to run a bead. These covers are flat and sit close to the edge but not tight to it. There is a gap maybe 1/4-1/2" wide at parts of it. Also, it runs at an angle. So once it clears the gunwale, the nearest point is the carpeted outside of the boat. I've updated the pic that might make it more clear. Not really looking for solutions as it is probalby going to be what it is. Just providing information.

18. Member
    I think he meant around the square hole.

19. Member
    Good point. It will likely leak through that as well and a bead would help or eliminate that. But when the edges all are designed as they are, i don't know that you can stop it on the edges regardless.

20. Member
    Actually, let me restate. That square hole is likely fine as the flat panel that fits on top of that is larger than the square hole. So I assume so long as any holes in that panel are properly plugged, my biggest issue is with the edges.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast