Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Run Stock Props and 25 vs 26 Fury? '17 721/ 250 ProXS

Hey guys, as you probably know I broke in my 721 over the weekend and I'm LOVING it, I've never rode in a boat with a better ride! At the 10 hour mark I hit 73.7 with my partner and I (~400#), just under 3/4 tank of fuel, ~30 rod and reel combos, empty live wells, and two guys worth of tackle (more than average, I carry way too many Keitechs and terminal tackle ). This was at 13 on the Atlas gauge (I plan on trying to run a little higher with less trim tomorrow), and I'm running a 10" Atlas with a stock 25 Fury.

My question is this: Why do I see so many 721's, and all Phoenix's for that matter, running a stock prop?
    Coming from a Bullet, getting a prop worked was a must before it even went on my boat, even my spare prop. I've seen a couple of guys running one worked by Mark Croxton and I'm planning on buying a 26 and trying to run it stock before getting it worked, but this is the first time I'll be doing it myself. My current 25 definitely will be too little prop for me by myself, it was nothing to get it to 5900 this weekend with two guys. However, I'm wondering if getting the 25 worked and re-pitched would be a better move before buying a new 26. I'll need a spare anyway, so I know I'll end up with one to try, just wanting to get a feel for what most 721 guys are running. I feel confident I can get 75 with just myself at the current setup, I'd really like to get to 76 with two guys and a full load w/ empty live wells. That's only 2.3 more mph than this weekend and this boat wants to GO!!! Thanks guys

(I know the "Post your numbers" thread has a lot of info but I've seen a lot running either a stock 25 or 26, very few worked, and wondering if the stock ones wouldn't benefit from being worked or at least blueprinted)

I normally run 72-74, easily, by myself, with3/4 tank, all my tackle, and running the stock 26 Fury. Easily being the key word. I hit 78 the other day...weather and water lined up for once. I'm good with that. A worked prop has its benefits for sure. The goal and what it's worth is what drive most, I guess. As for you, you have a goal, running 76 with two guys. You should probably have your prop worked. Phoenix is that good. I'm biased of course. Off the shelf stock works for me and I think it's part of what is bringing Phoenix boats into the main stream. My thinking is "Phoenix is that good. Runs great out of the "box"".
    I've never had a prop worked. Do I need to have my prop worked? I guess so if I needed more. I've toyed with the idea but I don't have a goal like you do. Plus, I'm good with 75.
    My 0.02 cents

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP

3. Member
    So is the most benefit conveyed from working a 25 or 26? This is the problem I'm looking to solve because this would be even more data for other 721 owners. It's an absolute fantastic boat, it's everything I want rolled into one!

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I have a 921 with a SHO, and Bob's JP, so I'm running different props, BUT... I want optimum performance... Gotta have it! So...
    I get every prop worked by Croxton right after I run it a short time. That way I know if it needs a little more tweaking than just a b&b.
    I run T1-25 & 26. Had my 25 b&b'd and had my 26 down pitched to 25.3 with a little tip added. That's a sweet prop.

Having said that, I have a friend with your 721 set up, but with 8' blades. He runs a 25 Fury stock, but ALWAYS runs his Atlas up to 16-17, ALWAYS!
    Dude drives the gel off that thing! It flies. He has said that a Croxton worked prop is better, but he gets a new boat every year or 2 so he stays stock.
    Don't worry about taking that Atlas up some, you'll do way better than 75. just watch WP, as I'm sure you already know.

A 721 should be hitting at least 77, actually a bit more by yourself. You sound like you want the most that boat will put out, then I would get all props worked.
    But only after you know what they need. When Croxton gave my 25.3 more tip, I got the perfect lift.
    Sounds like you gotta have optimum performance like I do. I hit over 74 in my 921, occasionally 75+. So expect more from your 721.

I have the same problem you do tho...I carry 30 rod/reel combos and have EMPTY livewells too...go figure. Stay safe!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I have a 921 with a SHO, and Bob's JP, so I'm running different props, BUT... I want optimum performance... Gotta have it! So...
    I get every prop worked by Croxton right after I run it a short time. That way I know if it needs a little more tweaking than just a b&b.
    I run T1-25 & 26. Had my 25 b&b'd and had my 26 down pitched to 25.3 with a little tip added. That's a sweet prop.

Having said that, I have a friend with your 721 set up, but with 8' blades. He runs a 25 Fury stock, but ALWAYS runs his Atlas up to 16-17, ALWAYS!
    Dude drives the gel off that thing! It flies. He has said that a Croxton worked prop is better, but he gets a new boat every year or 2 so he stays stock.
    Don't worry about taking that Atlas up some, you'll do way better than 75. just watch WP, as I'm sure you already know.

A 721 should be hitting at least 77, actually a bit more by yourself. You sound like you want the most that boat will put out, then I would get all props worked.
    But only after you know what they need. When Croxton gave my 25.3 more tip, I got the perfect lift.
    Sounds like you gotta have optimum performance like I do. I hit over 74 in my 921, occasionally 75+. So expect more from your 721.

I have the same problem you do tho...I carry 30 rod/reel combos and have EMPTY livewells too...go figure. Stay safe!
    I forgot to add that I have two 8' Blades. I think I need to go higher on the jack plate and start trimming from there from what I've heard. After my next two tournaments I'm gonna make an empty run with the 26 I'm buying, I feel like that would get me really close to 77-78. Today I'll be running it by myself but with a HEAVY load, since my partner's meeting me later in the week and left all his tackle in the boat. I'm hopeful to see at least 75, it would make me feel really good about the performance of the stock Props. Is Croxton typically "the man" for Bird prop work? I'm really good friends with Josh Edwards that now owns Steve's Custom Props in TX, but if Mark is the one I need to send a prop to, then I will.

I run Bravo props and run them as high as I can. I have 10' BLADES and 4 conventional batteries...and I weigh 250.

I havent worked a Bravo yet, I feel great about out of box performance. Every 3 blade I've owned has been worked though, usually 1 time a year too. I end up spending more money keeping a 3 blade in tune than I do on Bravos.

You are a long way from top end on that setup...I'm sure you will be 78/80 once you get it dialed in...maybe with that stock prop too. Raise that plate...it will help.

Ive moved my motor into different mount holes as well. Prior to moving I was running 20 on the Atlas and the boat needed more. I moved it 2 holes and now can get optimal performance around 16 on Atlas.
    Last edited by xranger77; 01-23-2017 at 08:11 AM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    I run Bravo props and run them as high as I can. I have 10' BLADES and 4 conventional batteries...and I weigh 250.

I havent worked a Bravo yet, I feel great about out of box performance. Every 3 blade I've owned has been worked though, usually 1 time a year too. I end up spending more money keeping a 3 blade in tune than I do on Bravos.

You are a long way from top end on that setup...I'm sure you will be 78/80 once you get it dialed in...maybe with that stock prop too. Raise that plate...it will help.

Ive moved my motor into different mount holes as well. Prior to moving I was running 20 on the Atlas and the boat needed more. I moved it 2 holes and now can get optimal performance around 16 on Atlas.
    I'm running it the second hole down from the top, so I definitely need to come up. I was running at 13-14 this weekend. I ran all Bravo's on my Bullet and they carried a load and handled like a dream!

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dks300 View Post
    I forgot to add that I have two 8' Blades. I think I need to go higher on the jack plate and start trimming from there from what I've heard. After my next two tournaments I'm gonna make an empty run with the 26 I'm buying, I feel like that would get me really close to 77-78. Today I'll be running it by myself but with a HEAVY load, since my partner's meeting me later in the week and left all his tackle in the boat. I'm hopeful to see at least 75, it would make me feel really good about the performance of the stock Props. Is Croxton typically "the man" for Bird prop work? I'm really good friends with Josh Edwards that now owns Steve's Custom Props in TX, but if Mark is the one I need to send a prop to, then I will.
    I've heard good things about Josh at Steve's. He's helped a guy with a 202 Champion hit 80 mph. From what that guy said, Josh wants to get it right, or bring it back. Sounds like a good guy that does good work to me.
    I would have confidence in Josh, if I lived near him, or especially if he's a friend.
    Check out "Seeking 80 in a 202" on Champion forum. You'll see how Josh went above & beyond to help this fella out.

Quote Originally Posted by dks300 View Post
    I'm running it the second hole down from the top, so I definitely need to come up. I was running at 13-14 this weekend. I ran all Bravo's on my Bullet and they carried a load and handled like a dream!
    I would raise the plate...see how it feels. If you keep gaining up to 18-20, I would move that motor up a hole.

You know about the Bravo...dont need to preach to you about the benefits!

10. Member
    Where do you guys start when at a dead stop on your atlas gauge? Trying to learn this one compared to my old Bob's

Is having the stock prop worked for he extra 2-3 mph worth it.....considering the cost $250-500 that is charged for B&B etc.....$75-100 / 1 mph not worth it to me. That's my $.02 !

12. Member
    Dks what rpm's are you turning?

Quote Originally Posted by liv4bassin View Post
    Is having the stock prop worked for he extra 2-3 mph worth it.....considering the cost $250-500 that is charged for B&B etc.....$75-100 / 1 mph not worth it to me. That's my $.02 !
    It all depends on the boat I think.

I havent touched a prop on my 921, and have ran 4 different ones. I ran a shitty Bravo (total backup) and it had a great holeshot and I could run 72. That prop I would send to Croxton. But, I use it for no wake lake fishing...dont ever get the boat on pad.

14. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    To get the MOST out of her, you need to have a worked prop. Simple as that.
    In my case, I want all my 921 is capable of, with the motor it's got, so it's worth the $ to me.
    It's not just the speed, but holeshot, lift & handling too.
    Some may say a worked prop is a minimal diff, but once you "know your boat" with a box prop, it's not minimal to you .02

15. Member

Hit 76 for about three seconds this evening on the way back, at 16 on my Atlas gauge, and it was pegged out on the tach. A worked 26 will be the ticket!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wait until you jack your prop up and then send it off to be worked...That's what I do...Lol

Quote Originally Posted by bassmasterffej View Post
    Wait until you jack your prop up and then send it off to be worked...That's what I do...Lol
    Same here.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

18. Member
    I run a 26 Fury on my 2015 721 Mercury 250. I have seen 77-78 before----cool to cold weather, slight chop, by my self, etc. I tried a 25 Fury and only saw 74. I even tried a 27 Tempest, and only got 75. I do not have a hydraulic plate, so it gets a bit frustrating adjusting for the optimum setting. Mark Croxton is very good. I've been to his shop a couple of times and he knows his stuff. He can set you up right, but I would probably stick to the 26.

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdboatman View Post
    I run a 26 Fury on my 2015 721 Mercury 250. I have seen 77-78 before----cool to cold weather, slight chop, by my self, etc. I tried a 25 Fury and only saw 74. I even tried a 27 Tempest, and only got 75. I do not have a hydraulic plate, so it gets a bit frustrating adjusting for the optimum setting. Mark Croxton is very good. I've been to his shop a couple of times and he knows his stuff. He can set you up right, but I would probably stick to the 26.
    ^^^

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by senkizer View Post
    Dks what rpm's are you turning?
    I was turning right at 6K with that 25 with a heavy load (two guys worth of tackle) and about a half tank of fuel and I hit 76.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast