2005 Verado 250 hole shot problems

SN OT980280 Tr21 25p prop
    Hello I fished a tournament yesterday and this was the first time I had my boat out since I test drove and bought it in October. The boat was winterized and stored until this weekend. The first couple of spots we moved from the boat would come out on plane fairly well... About the forth stop I could not get the boat to plain out with the motor all the way down. The boat has an Atlas Jack Plate that I have never used before I tried to bring it all the was down and and seemed to get worse. 3000 rpms was all the boat had with the bow pointing straight up. I then tried adjusting the jack plate to different settings with no help. I was able to get on plane by putting the jack plate all the was up and the motor all the way down but is was still hard to get the boat to plane out. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Member
    Just to add The boat has the smart gage installed. The printout showed 170 in cylinder 1 and 175 in all others in October when I purchased the boat from a dealership

Pencil coils bad?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Pencil coils bad?
    Is this something I can check myself? If so how?
    thanks

Not sure how. I do know they had some issues with them around then. Don should be along to help some more.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend checking the basics.... but if you want a "hunch"... you may want to replace the spark plugs (5 or 6 may be dead).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    What plugs would you recommend? I plan to replace them all since I am not sure how long they have been in there.
    Thanks

8. Member
    Your Verado calls for: OEM # 33-889246Q39 (NGK ILFR6GE)
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Recommend checking the basics.... but if you want a "hunch"... you may want to replace the spark plugs (5 or 6 may be dead).
    I ordered new spark plugs and was wanting to know if anybody knows what the gap should be.
    thanks

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    .031"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks

12. Member
    Thanks I changed my plugs and the boat did great coming out of the hole.....

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar