Thread: AR ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AR ???

If a guy wants to get an AR, nothing too fancy, will be more of a fun gun used to put holes in things, what would be a good starting point? Makes, models, calibers, etc. Shot my b-I-l's and it ended up being more fun than I was anticipating. Figure if I'm going to go buy a handgun here soon I might as well buy an AR too.

Finally heard back from him, the one I shot before is a Superior Arms.
    Last edited by Jiggumup; 01-23-2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: more info added

Right now an Anderson has one of the best deals. Made right in Hebron, KY. Get ya one in .223/5.56. Pay a little more and get the RF85 treatment, it makes it a "no lube" rifle. Most FFL holders can get them. Check out the Anderson torture test.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

For a bit of fun, you can find stripped lowers for about $50-70 then order a basic build kit from Palmetto State Armory and have a fun gun for less than $600.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

4. Banned
    Plenty of Rugers and S&W for $499. No experience with sw but the ruger is a steal at that price point. You cant build an equal that cheap.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    Plenty of Rugers and S&W for $499. No experience with sw but the ruger is a steal at that price point. You cant build an equal that cheap.
    Any model number(s) to specifically look at?

6. Banned
    AR 556 and SW sport II. The ruger is worth it (no exp with sw) and you can actually find both for $489

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude196 View Post
    AR 556 and SW sport II. The ruger is worth it (no exp with sw) and you can actually find both for $489
    Where are you finding it for $489?]

8. Banned
    slickguns

9. Member
    I'll check it out. THanks

10. Banned
    Do your own research on Slickguns! It's just like ebay, possibly some shady characters.!

11. Member
    I have bought 3 handguns and 1 AR15 from Sportsman Outdoor Superstore. ARs start at $470 for the Anderson and $520 for the Windham Weaponry. Great people to deal with, fast free shipping, my son has bought about the same firearms also.

Colt LE6920 and call it a day.
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipSide View Post
    Colt LE6920 and call it a day.
    Absolutely true......but I get he does not have the extra $ to put into one.

With that said I can vouch for the Ruger and an Anderson w/o the RF85 stuff. I think the Ruger with an A2 FSB is really the ticket. Yes you can get Anderson with an A2 as well, but seems like the lesser of the 2 beign sold are the ones with just a gas block (for FFR) or flat top FSB.

FWIW....I know there are guys that talk about the RF85, but honestly, if you assemble it correctly, and use the right protectant/lubricants, there is no reason for any RF treatment at all.

14. Member
    Money isn't the issue, it is more along the lines of I have about 100 rounds of experience with them, probably won't end up shooting it a ton, and right now I don't know if I see a value in the more $$$$ guns. That being said, I also don't want to get some cheap gun that will cause me more headaches than fun.

My thought process was to get something decent to good now, learn more about them, get comfortably with the build of the gun, actually figure out what the hell something like A2 FSB means , then down the road, step up to the higher end guns. I think building one would be fun but I have zero clue where to start.

Any good places to look online for more info? Or people on youtube that give GOOD/accurate instructional videos? I've been around guns my entire life, just getting started a little late in widening my arsenal.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming. And if I am way off in my current thinking, let me know.

15. Member
    pardon the acronyms.......i get to used to it over time.

FSB...Front Sight Base.

FFR...Free Floating Rail

If you want to learn a lot on your own, go to 2 forums & just read stuff. Don't even register & post, just read.

m4carbine.net & ar15.com

Use there search tools to find a thread already talked about......the M4 one is full of good knowledgeable people....just mutter through some of the other stuff.

If money is not an issue....I would look hard for an LE6920 or a BCM M4.....you can spend a bit more for a Daniel Defense & all three of those are excellent choices for Quality.
    Last edited by R.D.; 01-23-2017 at 09:25 AM.

16. Member
    Ryan you are getting really good at helping me spend money lately.

Thanks guys for all your help, ideas, sugggestions. I truly appreciate it!

17. Member
    HELL....I'm good enough @ spending my own it seems .....Glad I can help you out with yours as well

If you really Want to go all out & never look back.....get a KAC....Knights Armament

SR-15 E3 Mod-2 M-lok......never buy another rifle again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by R.D. View Post
    ......never buy another rifle again!!!
    Where's the fun in that?
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

19. Member
    Spent some time on m4carbine....I had to have Google open on a separate page so I could try to figure out what the hell everyone was saying. There were times when it seemed like a full paragraph only had 3 complete words. Seems like there is a lot of love for the Colt 6920. One thing I found a lot of too is to go with something like the Colt for now, then slowly start making a wish list of things I would want down the road and eventually make a custom build. OR.....just quit being a pussy and buy the KAC and be done with it.

20. Member
    good entry level dpms sporticle ---academy has em on sale 499.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast