Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostComanche View Post
    You are trying to build a train out of a tinkertoy set...........................it's not difficult at all to do ..........................RR

You are running one of these motors with the 60 inch shaft?

2. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by foo View Post
    You are running one of these motors with the 60 inch shaft?
    Yes on FIL's lake boat....................Pull the cable cord and lift the motor about half way up from deployed to stowed...................loosen tension knob and adjust height up to rest on top of mount and then tighten tension nut back down.................I promise you won't bang your head, break your back or even pull a muscle. Again, it is fairly easy to adjust the height of the motor Sir.....................RR

"Never argue with an idiot; He will beat you to death with stupidity"

3. Member
    I have to adjust this collar every single time and half way up no less, in big wind and 2 foot waves at the edge of a boat. No thanks -----this is not going to happen.....ever. We are just going to have to disagree on that

I fish wind all the time at the maxed out length pretty much 80% of the time. I change spots often 10 to 20 times a day. Way too dangerous to monkey around up there 15 times a day to get what should be automatic. Can't believe I even have to defend this clear design flaw.

The 52 inch and 45 seat automatically...why not this one?

4. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    I have to adjust this collar every single time and half way up no less, in big wind and 2 foot waves at the edge of a boat. No thanks -----this is not going to happen.....ever. We are just going to have to disagree on that

I fish wind all the time at the maxed out length pretty much 80% of the time. I change spots often 10 to 20 times a day. Way too dangerous to monkey around up there 15 times a day to get what should be automatic. Can't believe I even have to defend this clear design flaw.

The 52 inch and 45 seat automatically...why not this one?
    Why did you buy it instead of the Ulterra which has trim control??..................just sayin'...................RR

5. Member
    So I could mount Hydrowave, Humminbird 360 and a DI transducer and the choice between using a foot pedal or remote anytime I want. That's why.

I don't want a trim option...actually the opposite of that... I need the full 60 inches deployed almost all the time. I want no adjustments and I want to make no adjustments. I would like to never trim it or use the collar. I would like the motor to seat itself as it was designed to do. I really don't think that is too much to ask for in a $2900 motor.

6. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    So I could mount Hydrowave, Humminbird 360 and a DI transducer and the choice between using a foot pedal or remote anytime I want. That's why.

I don't want a trim option...actually the opposite of that... I need the full 60 inches deployed almost all the time. I want no adjustments and I want to make no adjustments. I would like to never trim it or use the collar. I would like the motor to seat itself as it was designed to do. I really don't think that is too much to ask for in a $2900 motor.
    You need to contact MinnKota engineering and have a discussion with them Sir................I can tell that you are way too complicated of an individual for me to be helping out...............You have a good day....................RR
    Last edited by GhostComanche; 01-22-2017 at 04:33 PM.

7. Member
    You need to contact MinnKota engineering and have a discussion with them Sir................I can tell that you are way too complicated of an individual for me to be helping out...............Check out the line below my signature and you have a good day....................RR

Nice calling me idiot. You can't offer anything of substance and then you insult. Classy.

8. Member

Although this is not my boat. starting around the 4 min mark the bow and waves are very comparable to what I fish for context (of course not its always this windy--but you get the idea). I appreciate the people offering advice about just catching the head on the fly but, it simply won't work and its just dangerous . I bought a 60" shaft and that's what i want.

9. Member
    It's not a design flaw, it's just the way they are, and not difficult I may add. The 60" Fortrex was easy, this is easier with the new cable handle in my opinion. Lots easier to stow than the xi5 POS I just got rid of(and good riddance!)

I fish big big water here in MN exclusively being a walleye/musky guy(LOTW, Mille Lacs, Vermilion, etc)and the Fortrex/Ultrex is a heck of a lot safer taking a pounding than the Terrova/xi5 style in my opinion.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger MN View Post
    It's not a design flaw, it's just the way they are, and not difficult I may add. The 60" Fortrex was easy, this is easier with the new cable handle in my opinion. Lots easier to stow than the xi5 POS I just got rid of(and good riddance!)

I fish big big water here in MN exclusively being a walleye/musky guy(LOTW, Mille Lacs, Vermilion, etc)and the Fortrex/Ultrex is a heck of a lot safer taking a pounding than the Terrova/xi5 style in my opinion.
    Thanks Rodger for responding, you fish in the same areas I fish so I am interested in your advice.

i am used to a trolling motor that I pull up quick seats properly when i bring it up. I move a ton and don't have time for collar stuff or snagging the head in midair. The first time I brought this new Ultrex up the prop head slammed hard into the top of the mount well before the rest. Surprising to say the least. I got it to seated properly after horsing the thing up. The head landed a full 9 inches before the rest. This is normal? Bummer if it is, as none of the other motors are like this. Also they should mention this before you buy a 60 inch shaft.

Some sort of guidance in the manual like;

"You must adjust height before bringing up to stow position"

Would be helpful. Super disappointed in this purchase so far. I just wanted to put it at 60" and leave it. Bummed it needs adjustment every single time. Not good for a tournament fisherman. I really thought all you had to do was pull on the cable and up it would come...at least the commercial made it look like that. It is really nothing like that at all.

11. Member
    Thanks Rodger for responding, you fish in the same areas I fish so I am interested in your advice.

i am used to a trolling motor that I pull up quick seats properly when i bring it up. I move a ton and don't have time for collar stuff or snagging the head in midair. The first time I brought this new Ultrex up the prop head slammed hard into the top of the mount well before the rest. Surprising to say the least. I got it to seated properly after horsing the thing up. The head landed a full 9 inches before the rest. This is normal? Bummer if it is, as none of the other motors are like this. Also they should mention this before you buy a 60 inch shaft.

Some sort of guidance in the manual like;

"You must adjust height before bringing up to stow position"

Would be helpful. Super disappointed in this purchase so far. I just wanted to put it at 60" and leave it. Bummed it needs adjustment every single time. Not good for a tournament fisherman. I really thought all you had to do was pull on the cable and up it would come...at least the commercial made it look like that. It is really nothing like that at all.

When I had my Fortrex I hardly ever adjusted it, if you need to adjust you do it when it's deployed unlike Terrovas/xi5. Why would you need to adjust it that much? I have a Ranger 620FS so the 60" is necessary when fishing in the wind and waves, but still can run pretty shallow compared to draft of my boat and Verado depth if not trimmed up. I fish 2.5 - 5' feet of water all the time, no issues. As far as the head hitting the mount, that's normal and a non issue, just slow down stowing when you get to that stage, should be easy as it's basically neutral weight at that point.

12. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Nice calling me idiot. You can't offer anything of substance and then you insult. Classy.
    Oh I can help and tried and you simply won't listen..................If the shoe fits.........................RR

13. Member
    Oh I can help and tried and you simply won't listen..................If the shoe fits.........................RR

"Jus yank er in the ere, it's eazy"

Yeah I am going to skip that advice.
    Last edited by foo; 01-22-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: less mad

14. AR Bass Club/AR Fishing Moderator GhostComanche's Avatar
    Why do you keep posting on this thread?

"Jus yank er in the ere, it's eazy"

Yeah I am going to skip that advice and just ask you to quit posting on this thread. Please.
    Your humor is funny. I do hope that you get the motor working correctly. They are good units brother.........................RR
    Last edited by GhostComanche; 01-22-2017 at 09:10 PM.

15. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I have to agree with foo. If a TM shaft is designed to be lowered to its full length then it dang well better be able to be stowed on the mount in the proper postion recommended by the manufacturer without having to pull the shaft up (in this case electric steering unit) to stow the motor each and every time you move to a new spot.

I've fished Erie a few times and Lake Ontario in waves like in the video posted and I had to drop my MG 82LB Tour 42" shaft down to the motor head and I sure as heck wasn't going to try to adjust it each and every time I stowed it!! My auto bilge was running every few seconds which tells ya how rough it was.

how about you guys that are telling this guy to suck it up and just move the motor up to stow it, go out and run theirs for a full day in rough conditions and then come back and tell him he's still being unreasonable.

That lower unit on the 112 LB thrust motor is huge compared to my 82LB Ultrex combined with it hanging out there 60" from the point of the head sure makes for an interesting balancing act in rough water.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    I have to agree with foo. If a TM shaft is designed to be lowered to its full length then it dang well better be able to be stowed on the mount in the proper postion recommended by the manufacturer without having to pull the shaft up (in this case electric steering unit) to stow the motor each and every time you move to a new spot.

I've fished Erie a few times and Lake Ontario in waves like in the video posted and I had to drop my MG 82LB Tour 42" shaft down to the motor head and I sure as heck wasn't going to try to adjust it each and every time I stowed it!! My auto bilge was running every few seconds which tells ya how rough it was.

how about you guys that are telling this guy to suck it up and just move the motor up to stow it, go out and run theirs for a full day in rough conditions and then come back and tell him he's still being unreasonable.

That lower unit on the 112 LB thrust motor is huge compared to my 82LB Ultrex combined with it hanging out there 60" from the point of the head sure makes for an interesting balancing act in rough water.

Thank you for the post. I fish a lot and prefer the wind. It's one thing to stow and deploy in glass or a slight ripple in the river and entirely another on a slippery surface, in big waves and rain on a big lake all by myself...often in cold water.

I was just disappointed when i pulled on the wire for the first and the motor head clucked hard against tip of the mount---a full 10 inches short of being in the correct stow position. Surprised me. I really thought it was going to be like in videos. Nope just a bunch of monkeying around before to lands where it is designed to land.

17. Member
    Called Minn Kota and their recommendation is to lean over the bow of the boat and physically pull up the head of the motor and adjust the collar before pulling the wire and stowing the motor. Very surprising considering how dangerous that is to do that. This just seems like a giant lawsuit waiting to happen.

Well I guess you don't always get what you want, on the bright side at least I can mount a 360 on there now.

18. Member
    Question foo, what motor did you have before this Ultrex? And was it a 60"? And did it lie in the correct postion on the mount rails?
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

19. Member
    [QUOTE=foo;8050739]Called Minn Kota and their recommendation is to lean over the bow of the boat and physically pull up the head of the motor and adjust the collar before pulling the wire and stowing the motor.

I would have asked them to send me a link to a video of a typical style walleye boat (such as the nitro zv21 or a big Lund) in rough water like seen here on this post of the fisherman lifting the motor as they suggested.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    I think they will get a lot more push back on this very soon now that they are marketing more to the walleye world. He basically said, it has always been like this for 60 inch shaft on these kind of models and the bass guys had just "had to deal with it". I said, yeah I think these guys just don't know they are getting ripped off as every other Minn Kota seats itself properly. This kind of got a nervous laughter from him realizing this is true.

Don't worry I will do my part to get the word out. It will change when enough people realize the deal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast