Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 Duramax question?

Looking into a 2002 Duramax. Anything specific to be aware of? Truck has 136K and appears to be in very, very good condition. I'm gonna look at it Monday. I want something I can tow with, hunt with, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Injectors needing to be replaced are the main issue. They all fail in time. The LB7's (01-04) are known for that. I would make sure they have been replaced recently or it's going to be a bit pricey. I replaced my own at 115,000 miles for around $2000. If you have a shop do it it might upwards of $5000. My dad's went out at 40K and my brothers at 80K. I liked the truck besides that, but also sold it for that reason.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homer77 View Post
    Injectors needing to be replaced are the main issue. They all fail in time. The LB7's (01-04) are known for that. I would make sure they have been replaced recently or it's going to be a bit pricey. I replaced my own at 115,000 miles for around $2000. If you have a shop do it it might upwards of $5000. My dad's went out at 40K and my brothers at 80K. I liked the truck besides that, but also sold it for that reason.
    ^^^^What he said^^^^

I would go with the second generation LLY which is the 04-05.5. They went with external injectors on this engine and can be changed individually if needed. While the first gen probably gets the best fuel mileage I think the trade off of internal injectors isn't worth it.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

4. Moderator
    Well I'm not really in the market and haven't looked for a new truck. I've always wanted a diesel and don't really have to have one. My 2003 is starting to have little issues. Rust, etc. its a 1/2 ton. This 2002 is super clean garage kept, etc. gonna find out it's service records soon. How does it do pulling? Any over heat issues??

5. Member
    Get the VIN# and I can ck the warranty repair history, injectors are the main issue, have a GOOD diesel shop or dealer inspect, have also seen a lot of trans. cooler hoses replaced, before you buy take it for a LONG test drive, 30-40 miles, see if the owner will let pull your boat or something else along

6. Member
    Buy a 2005 or 2006 Duramax. Those were the trouble free years. If you have any questions about GM trucks or need a VIN checked, P.M. me. I will help you.

7. Moderator
    Thank you guys. I don't really want to spend the money on newer one. If I could, I'd buy a brand new one, but that's not feasible. Gonna drive this one tomorrow and see how it goes. Seems like it might fit my needs well as long as the injectors have been done.....

8. Member
    Those injectors have a higher failure rate compared to the next gen. Problem with those is if you need one changed it really pays you to do at least all on one side (really all) as so much has to be taken off to do the job. The last one my friend had done cost him right at $8000.00 because they changed all the internal lines associated with the injectors.
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter

9. Member
    Well I can only say that I have a 2007 Duramax with 323,000 miles have not touched the injectors runs like it is brand new.

I had an '02 GMC dmax and had to do the injectors and high pressure lines at 195k miles. Also the truck had the "pump rub" problem with the transfer case 2x. (There is a permanent after market fix for it) I didn't fix it the second time as I got rid of the truck. Traded the truck in with 225k miles.
    If the truck wasn't rusting out I would have kept it as I loved the power of the dmax especially with the Hyptertech tune I had in it.
    Last edited by haha; 01-23-2017 at 09:23 PM.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by jfunston View Post
    Well I can only say that I have a 2007 Duramax with 323,000 miles have not touched the injectors runs like it is brand new.
    Like homer said the injector problem was only in years 01-04. So you wouldn't have the injector problem noted.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

Quote Originally Posted by jfunston View Post
    Have you not listened they all go bad I change fuel filters on all my customers Dura's on every other oil change..Have done one set of injectors and it was on our shop ramp truck because my boss is to cheap to let me do the filters every 10k

Are they know as an issue yes...does every Dura have injectors go..no

13. Member
    I had a 2001 and kept it until about 2005. I replaced 14 sets of fuel injectors, two transmissions and two engines in that time. I had called GM and they sent me a customer loyalty certificate for like $2,500.00 towards a new truck but I couldn't put myself through it again. Most of the injectors, one transmission and one engine were all covered under warranty.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    I had a 2001 and kept it until about 2005. I replaced 14 sets of fuel injectors, two transmissions and two engines in that time. I had called GM and they sent me a customer loyalty certificate for like $2,500.00 towards a new truck but I couldn't put myself through it again. Most of the injectors, one transmission and one engine were all covered under warranty.
    I hate to laugh but you should ave at least made a 20/20 segment for that

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    ouch, That should have been taken in as a lemon. My dad has a 2001 Duramax and the injectors failed at 161,000. Cost to replace was about 5K and the shop owner told us to never bring it back to his shop

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff La View Post
    The last one my friend had done cost him right at $8000.00 because they changed all the internal lines associated with the injectors.
    The lines are around $900, what in the world did they replace that would cost so much ?

Quote Originally Posted by cowtrimmer View Post
    The lines are around $900, what in the world did they replace that would cost so much ?
    If this thread taught me anything its that i am a few thousand light on every repair slip I write

18. Member
    I have an 02... replaced injectors and fuel lines (the ones under valve cover) at 140K......seems that is about the average........if the truck has never had a chip installed it may last longer

Also got an 06 in the shop waiting on a new crank.......260k on it (again on a tuner its whole life....and worked hard...not a lunch box carrier)

JMO
    It's everything you learn after you know-it-all that really counts........

19. Member
    a buddy o mine has one--i used this Summer pulling wood trailers--it tows great, but..it has already had the injectors replaced, its on its second starter and alternator, window dont work--and it only has 125K..good luck

20. Member
    I have owned 2 LB7's. Like all has said injectors are the main thing then head gaskets are the 2nd. The 2 I've bought I got really good deals on because they needed head gaskets. Do the job right with head studs and Bosch remaned injectors and they will last you a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast