Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dental Insurance

I've always wondered why yearly dental benefits are capped at $1000 a year. Many dental procedures can run into thousands of dollars. Are there any plans where the yearly cap is in the $5000 to $10,000 range? I would expect to pay a couple of hundred dollars a month (at least) for something in that range.

Tennessee resident.
    I once was a male trapped in a woman's body. Then I was born.

We are also currently looking for coverage. We lost my coverage when I turned 65. So far, Delta Dental and Humana (which we had before) looks like the best options in our area. @$70 a month for the wife and I, capped at $1K per year and a 6 month waiting period before we can have any work done, other than a cleaning. The wife would like to have some work done soon and we'd be glad to sign a year contract, but that's a no go, so far.

I have always been mystified that teeth and eyes should be treated differently than other body parts and under separate insurance. I assume it has more to do with the lobbying power of physicians, compared to dentists and optometrists.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Banned
    My wife is a dentist mind blowing overhead. She gives non insured patients a 15 point break. Basically makes it a 10 % business

4. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    STORY >> I finally made up my mind to get a upper bridge with 4 implants. I had a few estimates of $15K , 10K. A buddy told me about a great dentist a few town away. He charged me $4600 total with implants. He was the greatest dentist(funny,fast, professional) out of the 5 previous dentists I had experienced since childhood. I had $2K dental(8 years ago). He did half the job on Dec. 29 and the rest on Jan.2.so I used 2 years insurance. Dentist charge whatever they want to charge for their services.

5. Member
    You have to check with your usual dentist if you buy dental insurance through the Federal Government. My other half and I had Delta dental insurance through her former employer, Northrup Grumman. When she no longer was eligible for that, she bought Delta Dental from the Government. Her dentist would not accept that particular Delta Dental. When I lost my Delta, I didn't get on the Government plan, mostly because the website crashed on the last possible day. I paid out-of-pocket $170 for a back molar extraction from a good local dentist that won't accept insurance customers nrmally. He said i was better off without insurance, at my age (74). The back molar had been crowned and broke off below the gum line.

Just come to Cozumel,and have the work done. Very cheep,great work. Our dentist is also lic. In N.J. .have a vacation,plus look and feel good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    We are also currently looking for coverage. We lost my coverage when I turned 65. So far, Delta Dental and Humana (which we had before) looks like the best options in our area. @$70 a month for the wife and I, capped at $1K per year and a 6 month waiting period before we can have any work done, other than a cleaning. The wife would like to have some work done soon and we'd be glad to sign a year contract, but that's a no go, so far.

I have always been mystified that teeth and eyes should be treated differently than other body parts and under separate insurance. I assume it has more to do with the lobbying power of physicians, compared to dentists and optometrists.
    I was exactly in the same position when I retired. My dentist said everything was stable and did not see any major problems in the future. He also said the $70 a month premium is not worth it. He advised not paying $840 in premiums for a $1000 cap. I had a $1000 crown since 2007 to present. Deducting out of pocket cleanings, I have saved around $6000 in the same period to pay for the crown by not buying dental insurance. If you need a lot of work in the near future, needing $1000 or more, get the insurance. Opt out of the insurance once everything is O.K. , unless your premiums drop a lot.
    2012 Stratos ChampioN 183 Elite
    Mercury 175 ProXS

8. Banned
    Wife and I are going through this dental Hell right now. A lot of it is fear and pain. People don't like it and will do anything to avoid it.

9. Member
    Health Savings accounts work great for dental. I would check with your employer to see if they participate in an HSA. It is also tax deductible. If the work you are talking about isn't something you need right away you can take the $$ you would spend on a premium and put it away for the work you need.
    So there we were, 4 against 40, toughest 4 I've ever seen!

2015 Nitro ZV18
    Mercury Optimax 200
    Minn Kota Terrova 112
    Lowrance electronics

If you are near a dental school, check them out. They are much less expensive but do take longer for procedures.

11. Member
    Some Dental offices are offering their own plans now. About $25 a month. Covers cleanings and minor work. Discounts on major work with payment plan.
    Please release me,let me go.

12. Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..
    Good info Kodiak, You 65 years old. Ask a few friends what dentist they use and just get the tooth pulled if you need major work or a root canal .

I think I found my new dentist. Doesn't take insurance, but is cheap!

"The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Fixed her right up

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

I have dental insur thru work but it's shit
    My dentist has a plan it's 300? or so for 2 cleanings, Xrays and 15% off of any other work. I just buy that every year

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I think I found my new dentist. Doesn't take insurance, but is cheap!

Oh heck no. Not this ol boy. I like a bunch of shots and the gas when I can find a dentist who uses it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cozumel View Post
    Just come to Cozumel,and have the work done. Very cheep,great work. Our dentist is also lic. In N.J. .have a vacation,plus look and feel good too.
    I'll be honest, this is the smart thing to do. You can schedule the dental work and have a vacation in the Philippines or Thailand and come back spending less money than having the work done here.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterj01 View Post
    Oh heck no. Not this ol boy. I like a bunch of shots and the gas when I can find a dentist who uses it.
    Oh, he will knock you out, if you prefer that!

19. Member
    My plan has a $1,500 deduct. I had it on my wife's plan. I retired 2 years ago...and she is 3 years younger than me. She was told 2 weeks before Christmas...they were eliminating 7 positions...and after 31 years there...that was it. Same thing happened to me after 38 years. Now...she will be paying COBRA..which is not cheap. I had two cracked teeth that had to come out...and replaced with implants the last 20 months..plus a root canal and crown on another one....total over 12 grand. The dentist took complete pics of all my teeth...and saw two more that were just starting to crack. He told me this is from silver fillings....and the steady hitting of the opposite tooth is like a hammer on the silver...causing the cracks. He wants to cut them down some and place a half crown type of deal on them to save them from further cracking. He told me...kids need shoes....

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxFishing View Post
    I have dental insur thru work but it's shit
    My dentist has a plan it's 300? or so for 2 cleanings, Xrays and 15% off of any other work. I just buy that every year
    Please release me,let me go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast