2017 NITRO Z21...WHAT PROP ? .....PROP TO PAD ?....SPEED ?

RAN MY NEW 2017 NITRO Z21 FOR THE FIRST TIME FOR BREAK IN THIS WEEKEND AND NOTICED AT TAKE OFF SOME PROP REV , LITTLE SPIN OUT , AS IF MY ENGINE MAYBE SET A LITTLE HIGH .
    ACCORDING TO NITRO IT IS SET AT THE CORRECT HEIGHT.
    I HAVE NOT TRIED TO ADJUST YET BUT I WILL.
    250 MERC PRO XS TORQUE MASTER 25 FURY.
    THIS BOAT RIDES LIKE A CADDY AND HAULS AZZ.
    JUST WONDERING WHAT SETUP WORKS FOR OTHER GUYS THAT YOUR HAPPY WITH.
    POST...ENGINE...PROP...HEIGHT...TOP SPEED FOR Z21....THANKS , TIGHT LINES TO ALL
    2017 NITRO Z21
    250 MERCURY PRO XS
    POWER POLE BLADES
    LOWRANCE ELECTRONICS
    PRECISION SONAR MOUNTS

I think I am at 3.25 inches BP. 24 Fury. Have seen 73 before PPs. Normally see 71.5 with normal loads. 2 big people 68-69.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    Check your PVS plugs in the prop, too big a hole and you can blow out or slip

4. Member
    The 24 Fury should be the prop. We have ran all kinds of props and sizes and this prop seems to be the best. Make sure you put enough plugs in the prop to help it out of the hole.

5. Member
    2016 z21 I run a A45 25 tempest that's worked have not found a better faster prop runs 70-71 loaded 2.75 bp same boat with 24 fury ran 67 at 3.25 bp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XWIRE View Post
    The 24 Fury should be the prop. We have ran all kinds of props and sizes and this prop seems to be the best. Make sure you put enough plugs in the prop to help it out of the hole.
    I know this is an old post. But my hole shot sucks and top speed so far has been 67. I'm not sure on prop to pad, but my 24 Fury has all plugs removed. Should I put the reducers in, then try, and try completely plugged off?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendragon View Post
    I know this is an old post. But my hole shot sucks and top speed so far has been 67. I'm not sure on prop to pad, but my 24 Fury has all plugs removed. Should I put the reducers in, then try, and try completely plugged off?
    The PVS plugs only help holeshot, not top speed.

Need to measure Prop to Pad.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by moetorola View Post
    The PVS plugs only help holeshot, not top speed.

Need to measure Prop to Pad.
    My hole isn't that good, and may be even a little slip. Motor only has 6 hours, so hoping it will wake up. In all fairness, was me, my son and my gf. All my tackle and 24 rods and reels, as well as water in both live wells and maybe 3/4 tank of fuel.
    Last edited by Kendragon; 04-09-2018 at 06:28 PM.

9. Member
    24p Fury not sure p2p factory setup with manual jackplate, 2 poles, 3/4 tank solo 71.7mph so far, I know I can squeeze a little more. 2 people full wells full tank 68mph.
    Last edited by Sun Fish; 04-09-2018 at 11:10 PM.

10. Member
    My Z21 with 2 people and gear, 2 8’ poles and 36 volt Ultrex ,3/4 tank gas goes to 4000 rpm and then right out of the hole with the 24 Fury and no plugs in the holes. It has to come out wide open throttle. Boat has a 12” manual jack plate raised about 1 1/2” and came from the factory set that way. Too many floating logs from the high water to get a top speed but have seen 71 on a short burst with 1 person. I got a 25 Tempest Plus spare that I want to try. My boat is a 2018 and came with a hole shot plate but I think it was for mounting transducer more than performance benefit.
    Also has passenger console that I forgot to mention.
    Last edited by zeke4351; 04-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.

11. Member
    Mine has 2 poles, 4 batteries , ultrex 112. I'll have to measure, but my factory 12" slidemaster is a tad lower, like 3/4 to 1" down from the bottom, or level with the top. Zeke, raised 1 1/2"? Is that from stationary plate up 1 1/2"?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendragon View Post
    My hole isn't that good, and may be even a little slip. Motor only has 6 hours, so hoping it will wake up. In all fairness, was me, my son and my gf. All my tackle and 24 rods and reels, as well as water in both live wells and maybe 3/4 tank of fuel.
    That is one loaded boat, 67 is good with 3 people, full wells and 3/4 fuel. I wouldnt expect a great holeshot under those conditions.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Fish View Post
    That is one loaded boat, 67 is good with 3 people, full wells and 3/4 fuel. I wouldnt expect a great holeshot under those conditions.
    I made my own somewhat hole shot plate to mount my transducer yo, turned out really well. Was thinking of getting a 4 blade when loaded down like that. I still need to adjust my trim gauge, never had one on previous boats. Boat does porpoise a little at low speeds of trimmed up. So I still have some tweaking to do. Boat rides real well in the rough stuff. I came from a 19'7" bluewave purebay with an etec 135ho and a 4 blade. That boat had amazing hole shot.

14. Member
    My prop to pad is 4.5". I used my 78" level and leveled boat and motor. I got 4.5" from center of prop nut to top of level. Is that the correct way to measure?

15. Member
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    Found that, do not have a slab, but used the level. I raised 1"