Today on the river.

Well, that was cold, and it sucked (for me anyway). Put in at Smallwood around 0815. Tide was low and incoming. Fished trash point as well as the other deep and steep point next to it. Saw fish on the bottom. Tried a silver buddy, jig, ned rig, drop shot, spinner bait and shadow rap deep jerimiah bait and nothing. Zero. Zip. So I went toward Quantico creek to fish Possum point. Found fish on the outside of the pier in 26ft on the bottom. Did the above again. Nothing. Drove back into Mattawoman and tried some docks and wood in the thoroughfare and nothing. Left at 1330. Maybe I should've waited for outgoing tide? Any advice will be appreciated. Not too familiar with winter bass fishing seeing how I grew up in Minnesota where the water gets hard this time of year.

2. mikesxpress
    Scott I don't bother with the brim fishing until the end of February. Too much work for very little return. If you switch gears and can get a few nice days the monster blue kitties are a good filler and lots of fun.

3. Member
    That would be awesome. They were pretty lethargic. Saw a couple of small ones slowly swim to the top, eat something, then slowly swim back deep. But yea, those are fun.

4. Member
    I have read in numerous pubs over time that there are three bass "wintering" spots in the Mattawoman: trash point; marker 5; and the channel in front of the Grinder's. Some will add behind Marsh Island. In my younger years I tried all of them during cold months and never got a bite on any cold water lures in 35-40 degree water. Even read an article 8-10 years ago where an angler interviewed for the article claimed he sat on the end of Grinder's pilings and caught 20 bass on a silver buddy in January. Who knows? I would rather clean my reels in the winter now anyway and wait for the warmer days on my old not so tough Army body (60 degrees will do it).

5. Member
    Lol. It was rough. So I fished almost all of those spots with nothing. Maybe the tide was wrong. I think I may just bundle up with some cut bait and go wrestle some blue kitties

6. mikesxpress
    You can always go to DC and sit in front of the shit plant with 20 new found friends and sling a shakey head at the discharge/docks and catch a few dinks? You will need to strip your outerwear off and bag it before you get in the truck.
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 01-24-2017 at 03:11 PM.

7. mikesxpress
    Or you can go the hot side of Lake Anna and catch boiled bass. Just need to rig some of these.

8. Member
    lol......that a new one i'll have to try that

9. Member
    Why didn't you fish occoquan?? Quantico would have been my last place. Occoquan water stays pretty clean and has lots of deep water. I know fish are being caught there.

10. Official BBC Highjacker bassboogieman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    You can always go to DC and sit in front of the shit plant with 20 new found friends and sling a shakey head at the discharge/docks and catch a few dinks? You will need to strip your outerwear off and bag it before you get in the truck.
    Mike you said shakey head.... that looks like a top water.

11. Member
    Do you need a tetanus shot to fish up there"

12. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
    Mike you said shakey head.... that looks like a top water.
    Not my bait.

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by HalBrown View Post
    Do you need a tetanus shot to fish up there"
    Maybe???

14. Member
    I've just never went over to the Occoquan before. I'm pretty cautious when running around rivers.