Backup wiring to trailer

Bought a 94F350 in great shape that will not backup my Ranger. In the fuse description it has a block for "trailer reverse lights" but did not come with the guts installed for this particular fuse and option. Is this my problem? And if so, how do I resolve this? Thanks.

2. Member
    Yes, that is the problem. Simple fix is if you can tap the reverse connection into the backup light wiring. Don't know if possible on that truck.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Yes, that is the problem. Simple fix is if you can tap the reverse connection into the backup light wiring. Don't know if possible on that truck.
    I would think that you could do some digging behind the tail lights and find a hot wire for the back-up lights to tap into.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Thanks men. in summary, you advise that I splice into the reverse light wire? From one side only(driver side reverse light)? And any idea where I connect that to on the 7 pin plug?

5. Member
    The center pin of a 7 pin plug is 12 volt in reverse.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crock1576 View Post
    Thanks men. in summary, you advise that I splice into the reverse light wire? From one side only(driver side reverse light)? And any idea where I connect that to on the 7 pin plug?
    Yes. It doesn't matter which side, all you need is the electrical signal that the truck is in reverse so the trailer brakes don't come on.

7. Member
    Fellows, do I need a relay involved with this or straight from the taillight splice to the center pin?

8. Banned
    No relay.

9. Member
    Thanks men for the help. Got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by crock1576 View Post
    Thanks men for the help. Got it done.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

over many years , never really had to use a relay. for fog or driving lights and other accessories.. for my own or even new car prep, back when I was a mechanic for a new car dealer. Just make connectors 100% water proof, last many years