Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Going from a cat to a phoenix

Hey guys I'm going from a 2015 bass cat puma to a new 921 phx I know it won't run with the cat but can yall give me some pretty number and let me know how the ride and handling will be and im wanting to stack 2 12s at the bow what mount works best on the phoenix

2. Member
    Videos I've seen seem to be 70-75 mph depending on load but I have no first hand experience with it. The boat is so new it's hard to find a lot of info on.

As for mounts i believe precision sonar had a double stack over/under mount on here a while back that would fit the front bow panel.

3. Member
    I've seen videos of guys getting up to 73-75, and heard of a demo Phx running 75. A Puma to a PHX, you're going to have so much fishing room you'll get lost on that front deck! Congrats! Check our Justin Lucas's boat, he has two stacked 12 Helix.

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Congratulations! you're gonna love the 921.
    I would think you are right with the 73-75 mph. That's my norm on my 2016 921xp.

Now I've heard the PHX has same hull... also heard a new hull, but have not personally confirmed either.
    Was told by someone that says they called factory to ask about the PHX hull, and was told it's new(different than xp).
    Either way, the numbers are close to the same, from what I know.

As for handling, this being my first BIG bass boat, from a 17'9"er, I have no problems, and I'm a newbie, but fast learner.
    People will tell you it drives itself, and for the most it does,but it will chine. Gaining control of that on a 921 is easy.
    My 1st time to Erie on 3'-4'ers was going like 30-35 mph, no problem. Did get a little wet due to wind, but not real bad.
    Followed an R boat on KY Lake on 2 'ers and it was struggling, porpoicing(sp?) all over. I couldn't go that slow, so had to shoot by him real quick.

I have a 12" Bob's Hydro & a SHO. Love 'em both!

5. Member
    Well the Chime you are already use to so that shouldn't be a problem coming out of a Puma. The speed will depend on HP, load, and set. I would suggest a Hydraulic jack plate. The ride will be a tad better and the reentry will be a lot better. IMHO I think with a 250 HP and medium load with two people you should get 74-75. You can put a 300 on it with a light load and get in the high 70's. You will love the space in this boat VS the Puma. I personally think we carry way to many lures. LOL I think the 921 will handle real close to your BC.

Congrats on your new boat.

6. Member
    Yep I'm not worried about chime I can handle that I'm gett8ng a hydraulic plate and 2 8 foot blades

What speeds are you seeing in the cat?
    2017 - Phoenix 919 / 225hp Pro Xs

8. Member
    Chine...Chine...Chine

9. Member
    I want to do the same thing, but can't get my cat sold...

If you guys know a dealer or individual willing to buy my 2015 Caracal, I am all ears!!!!

Mo

Why do you want to get out of the Caracal? Seems like a great boat.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs

11. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vausoner View Post
    Why do you want to get out of the Caracal? Seems like a great boat.
    cause he wants to come over here and hang with all of us
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

I could see that. We are pretty cool.
    Jason

13. Member
    it is a great boat.. no doubt about it.. It gets a ton of compliments everywhere we go

It is just not big enough for me.. I down sized... I want to go big again..

Gotcha. Just wondering. It was on a short list for me when I bought my bird.
    Jason

15. Member
    The PHX is a different hull than the 921 Pro XP. I have sold two of them and can tell you from first hand experience that the PHX will handle 3-4 footers with ease at 68-70 MPH. Its not near as fast as the 921 Pro XP but will do from 70-74 depending on the motor.

16. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamacat81886 View Post
    Hey guys I'm going from a 2015 bass cat puma to a new 921 phx I know it won't run with the cat but can yall give me some pretty number and let me know how the ride and handling will be and im wanting to stack 2 12s at the bow what mount works best on the phoenix
    PHX is at the bottom of the page, 3rd from last Randy will hook you up http://precisionsonar.com/photos/dua...ver-and-under/
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by limitout View Post
    The PHX is a different hull than the 921 Pro XP. I have sold two of them and can tell you from first hand experience that the PHX will handle 3-4 footers with ease at 68-70 MPH. Its not near as fast as the 921 Pro XP but will do from 70-74 depending on the motor.
    I thought the PHX was faster than the XP?

Whats the real story...LOL

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    I thought the PHX was faster than the XP?

Whats the real story...LOL
    I am not sure what the true speed of the PHX is but I was told by a dealer that sells and runs both, that the only difference is. The PHX is about 1" longer and the running strakes go all the way to the wings on the front where the Pro XP doesn't theses are suppose to be the only changes to the bottom of the hull. The running strakes all the way to the wings is suppose to up turn water away from the boat when running for a even drier ride. I am not sure how these to will really change the speed if they are set up right.

19. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    3-4'ers 68-70? Sorry, I call BS. Hope some others can back that so I can apologize to you.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    3-4'ers 68-70? Sorry, I call BS. Hope some others can back that so I can apologize to you.
    I don't think any bass boat made is capable of running 68-70 in 2-3 footers, let alone 3-4!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast