Jag Prop question

I have a Jag with a 250 Verado. I bought it used and it has a 25P Trophy prop. Boat planes out quickly. Acceleration lags a bit in the mid range and I see about 67 at the top end. I know the 24P Fury is the ideal prop for the boat, but does that also hold true for running Lake Erie? I've been trying to figure out if I should consider a different prop, but would want one that keeps a grip and keeps the boat responsive in the standard bumpy 1-3 ft chop on Erie.

2. Member
    I ran a z522 with 300vrod. Fastest prop was fury, best prop for that boat was the rev4 23p. . Fury didn't have near lift and couldn't hold front of boat up. 4 blade handling is much better and better lift, faster lift. I know,....not same boat, but both in the rather large category. I have a jag on order and going to try hydromotive 26p. That's based on someone whom has ran the combo . I would try a rev4, bravo xs, or maybe the new 4 blade fury, although I haven't tried the fury. 21p would be good place to start. Maybe 23. All holes closed. Could be totally wrong with this info too though. It's late and I can't sleep, think I'm too hyped up about yesterday still.
    Last edited by 32regulator; 01-21-2017 at 12:48 AM.

I have found that the Bravo XS works best on my boats. I use a 26 on my 350 Verado and a 25 on my 250 Pro XS I believe all of my holes are open

The 250 Verado can run several propellers and we would try the new Fury 4. It has not been tried at the factory. The Fury 3 in 24 is a nice wheel on most.

BCB

5. Member
    Thanks opaleski and BCB. BCB, what would be the right pitch for the fury 4? Opaleski, you run the Great Lakes, right?

6. Member
    I didn't think the verado liked holes open. I know all closed on mine for sure, but I no longer have boat so can't check. Remember if 24p is recommended for 3 blade then your going to have to go down to 23p 4 blade for rpms. The bravo xs was 2mph slower on my Ranger than the rev4, and lift was slower also. Most bass guys don't know about the rev4 prop. I ran 19p rev4 on my 32' regulator with twin 300 verados. Hole shot was immediate and carried that barge of boat very well. I tried it on my Ranger, and it was the best prop out of several tried. Just a suggestion though and like I said no first hand experience with the jag, but have been around the Verado many years and the only engine I will own. Good luck! You have a great boat, can't wait to get mine!!

7. Member
    I run the 3 blade fury on mine. It came with the boat. I am going to the Croxton razor 4. My 3 blade fury gets great bow lift and holds well on Erie and St clair

If it helps a have a 350 on jag with 25 4 blade fury and hit the limiter. 26 is about 200 rpm less and a little longer to plane. With the 250 you probably gonna be a 24 fury 4 blade.

9. Member
    I hit the local lake today (balmy 60 degree day in SW Ohio). I would say that the boat jumps on plane with the 250 Verado and 25 trophy, and mid range is good, I had that part wrong. It gets to 60 pretty quickly without much effort. Getting it from 60 or so to upper 60s is what takes some time with the throttle down, so I guess top end acceleration is what lags a little, and why I was wondering about props. I've run the boat for 10 months now and I love the handling. I've been spending a little time just driving it to get the feel for what it can do besides run a straight line from A to B, and it is a nimble boat for its size, even with the 250. I need to spend a little more time planing at slow speeds too, which I feel is important for Erie. I've had it staying on plane between 15 and 18 mph, but the rough water complicates it. Nobody ever talks much about slow speeds, but my last boat was either in idle or above 35 mph, there was no slow in between, and that was a killer on Erie.

10. Member
    I had the same problem with my last boat. That problem was almost as bad as the problem of my wife chewing on my ear about going too fast at 40. I would slow down to 30 and it was porpoise city even trimmed all the way down.

I'm running a 26 fury and I can drive 18-20 all day long with it, so it is pretty capable of holding a boat on plane at low speed. The lowest speed you can go is purely a mechanical issue that factors in contact area between boat and water, angle of attack of hull against water, weight being supported. Motor is pretty meaningless. Sometimes you can run slow easier with a shallower pitch prop, but the steeper prop will be just as effective, just requires more throttle motion. People keep talking about skis and such around me, so I presume I might be hunting up a 21/22p prop for that (think Fury bottoms out at 24, or at least they did when they first started selling 'em. Does make slow speed running easier as you keep the motor up in its torque band better...

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Flyer View Post
    Thanks opaleski and BCB. BCB, what would be the right pitch for the fury 4? Opaleski, you run the Great Lakes, right?
    Yes I do

Stay 24" on the 4 blade as they have more surface and the Verado has a high RPM limit.

13. Member
    Thanks for the info BCB and everyone.