Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Thinking about an ultrex

I have a 20 trx just curious if I'd go with an ultrex should I go with a 45 or 52 inch shaft? From what I've read it takes 3 inches from the total length because of the way the head is made. Just curious to hear some opinions.

2. Member
    I put a 45' Ultrex on my TR-196 and it is plenty I think it comes down to the big water question? Call John at Jones and ask him about it. I can tell you this it will all fit in your trolling pedal recess and the Trolling Motor is awesome. Got to fish with mine for the first time yesterday.
    Steven Dendy-Spring Hill, KS
    2017 Phoenix 721 PRO XP 250-PRO XS
    Past Rides

​07 Triton - TR-196 200-Opti
    01 Triton - TR-21 225 HO Johnson
    93 Javelin 379T 91 Rude Intruder

83 Tidecraft - Wildfire F/S 150 Black Max

3. Member
    I've always ran 45" shafts on my previous Maxxum and Fortrex units. With my first Ultrex, I am ordering the 52" shaft to try. Partly because of the reported difference in the mount but mainly because I'll want the spot lock to work better in bigger water.

4. Member
    I'd go 52", just cause the benefits of that motor are suited for open water which can get rough. If you fish shallow largie water, I don't see any benefits to justify the expense.
    -Matt

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MITR185 View Post
    I'd go 52", just cause the benefits of that motor are suited for open water which can get rough. If you fish shallow largie water, I don't see any benefits to justify the expense.
    -Matt
    That's what I was thinking.. I went ahead and ordered a 45 inch shaft.. Sure my trolling motor has come out of the water before but not very often. Not enough for me to justify a longer one. Appreciate the input from all.

Doing the same Buck. No question. 52" my last boat was a TR20X and ihad the 52 Fortrex and wouldnt go shorter. no benefit for shorter. Only downside to MK vs MG is the fit of the boat cover.

Mike
    2011 Connecticut Bass Federation Nation Angler of the Year
    2015 Triton TRX20, 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS with 25P Fury, Lowrance HDS 7 & 12 Gen 2 Touch & Structure Scan 2
    togofish@gmail.com

7. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoad View Post
    Doing the same Buck. No question. 52" my last boat was a TR20X and ihad the 52 Fortrex and wouldnt go shorter. no benefit for shorter. Only downside to MK vs MG is the fit of the boat cover.

Mike
    Luckily my cover will fit.. My boat came with a 112 fortrex with a cover that fits.

8. Member
    I went with the 45 inch, it is three inches longer than the Fourtrex, not sure if it is three inches deeper into the water but while I had it deployed it looked like it would be, when i first seen it I thought they sent me a 52 by mistake, no way i would want the 52 on my Triton bass boat.

Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    I went with the 45 inch, it is three inches longer than the Fourtrex, not sure if it is three inches deeper into the water but while I had it deployed it looked like it would be, when i first seen it I thought they sent me a 52 by mistake, no way i would want the 52 on my Triton bass boat.
    why not?
    2011 Connecticut Bass Federation Nation Angler of the Year
    2015 Triton TRX20, 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS with 25P Fury, Lowrance HDS 7 & 12 Gen 2 Touch & Structure Scan 2
    togofish@gmail.com

10. Member
    I had 45 on my triton. Went with 52 on my ultrex. I fish ky lake. Wouldnt be without it

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoad View Post
    why not?
    Because my 45 inch lower unjit is all the way down and almost off of the rail and the head unit sticks out past the edge of the boat, also I do not fish big waters and off shore that much, once waves crash over onto the deck i am out of there, lol. Some boats sit with the bow high, my TRX sits pretty flat in the water, I think it will work just fine for me.

12. Member
    The shipping weight is 105lbs on the Ultrex. What kind of effect does that have on the performance of the boat. My Motor Guide is 53lbs including the mount.
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Ultrex. I haven't heard anyone mention the weight.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwavedave1 View Post
    The shipping weight is 105lbs on the Ultrex. What kind of effect does that have on the performance of the boat. My Motor Guide is 53lbs including the mount.
    I have heard nothing but good things about the Ultrex. I haven't heard anyone mention the weight.
    The shipping weight on mine was 71lbs. Idk if that right or not, but that's what it said.

14. Member
    I purchased the 52 inch shaft but wish I had gone with the 45 inch. The motor head is much larger than on the Maxxium or Fortrex and sticks way beyond the gunnel of my 2008 X2 when fully extended in the mount. I think the 45 inch would have fit much better and would probably be sufficiently long for most applications, even on KY lake. I had a 52 inch Maxxium, which influenced my choice, but the Ultrex seems to be quite a bit longer in the same shaft size

15. Member
    I went 52" fortrex on tr21x and I think it's kinda big I've been thinking going back to 45 ultrex.

i'm going today to buy an ultrex, thinking of a 45" shaft. the fortex i have is 101 and the shaft on this is a 42" which sits all the
    way down in the water (way past 16-22") for water line purposes. the way i see it your gaining 3" on the ultrex 45" it will get it a little deeper.
    not really into 2-3' waves and windy days at 25 mph winds....no way staying home . so i 'm really leaning to the 45" shaft.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by tav View Post
    i'm going today to buy an ultrex, thinking of a 45" shaft. the fortex i have is 101 and the shaft on this is a 42" which sits all the
    way down in the water (way past 16-22") for water line purposes. the way i see it your gaining 3" on the ultrex 45" it will get it a little deeper.
    not really into 2-3' waves and windy days at 25 mph winds....no way staying home . so i 'm really leaning to the 45" shaft.
    I started this thread and after a year of use I can honestly say I've had no issues at all with the 45 ultrex. I fish the Ohio river most of the time and see big barge wakes, and monster pleasure boat wakes. I've had no issues running a 45 and I do not have the trolling motor all the way down. I guess it boils down to personal preference. Mine was to go with a 45 on a 20trx.
    Last edited by Buck456; 02-17-2018 at 04:09 PM.

18. Member
    Ordered an Ultrex on my Triton 21TRX, should have it in a couple weeks. Everyone I have talked to really likes the Ultrex over any trolling motor they have used.

19. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by jjtriton View Post
    Ordered an Ultrex on my Triton 21TRX, should have it in a couple weeks. Everyone I have talked to really likes the Ultrex over any trolling motor they have used.
    There is no comparison to any other trolling motor I've ever used.

20. Member
    Just got my boat back from the dealer today from having my ultrex installed. They say I’ve got to get it out on the water to calibrate it. Hope that’s an easy process. Then I can’t wait to check out how this thing operates first hand. I went with the 45 on my 20trx also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast