Trolling motor install and upgrade recommendation

I've got a new Ultrex coming soon. It's a 36v and my current fortrex is 24v. In addition to swapping motors, I will need to install a new battery tray, battery, Ethernet switch, Ethernet cables to the graphs, and wire to the heading sensor. I may do the upgrade myself, but if I decide to have someone do the install for me, who would you all recommend in the Detroit area? Any idea how much this would cost?

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. dartag1829
    Are you installing a new 4 bank charger to. ?? No recommendation but I would try and find someone that you could work along with so you are familiar with everything. That way when there is a concern at 6:00 am on a Saturday morning you will be able to fix it.

I'm thinking to keep my 3 bank for the TM batteries and get a single external charger for the cranking battery.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. dartag1829
    You could also add a Single bank charger or what you have planned will work. Just something else to drag along. Read the other day that Swindel uses 2 - 2 bank chargers on his 4 batteries.

I would recommend getting a 4 bank charger. You can get the NOCO for ~$250 online if you look hard enough. Well worth the money imo. I would install it myself and put the money you save into the 4 bank.

6. Member
    I did the same thing last spring. 36 to 24, extra battery tray, new wiring, new motor, trolling motor tray...etc.

If you do it right, it takes time. Running new wires removing old unused, cleaning everything, taking all the trays out replacing. Then you run into things like, hey my bilge pump is exposed, guess I should replace that while I'm down here. I would save yourself the money and do it too. It really does give you a goo understanding on how everything works and WHEN problems come up, you have a better idea how to repair it.

Good luck, let us know if you need tips

7. Member
    You might not need to change wiring to upgrade to 36v. I don't remember off hand but depending on the gauge wire you have currently and the plug type might also be a factor. I upgraded my Stratos 201 to 36V from 24 without having to do anything other than add a tray and battery. You can get battery cables at TSC of the appropriate gauge and length to put the 3rd battery in series. I also wired graphs front and back. It's not hard really. Just research the hell out of it with google and youtube.

The boat's a 2015 basscat. I believe the wires should be good and not need to be replaced. Drilling into the boat to mount the new tray has me a little nervous. I'll pull a screw out of one of the existing trays to get a feel for how deep to drill the pilot holes.

still debating adding a new buss under the console or just pulling the wires for the Ethernet switch and the Bluetooth heading sensor. May just add the buss to future proof it a bit in case I add anything else up front.
    Last edited by Hollada; 01-24-2017 at 06:56 PM.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

i went 24-36 and added a 4amp noco single bank on board. They are quite small and inexpensive (55$). the 10 amp version is 99$. been very happy with it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    I've got a new Ultrex coming soon. It's a 36v and my current fortrex is 24v. In addition to swapping motors, I will need to install a new battery tray, battery, Ethernet switch, Ethernet cables to the graphs, and wire to the heading sensor. I may do the upgrade myself, but if I decide to have someone do the install for me, who would you all recommend in the Detroit area? Any idea how much this would cost?
    I bought a new aluminum double tray for my puma when I added my fourth battery. You're gonna have to install a bridge over the pumps to mount your oil tank. I have a single aluminum tray sitting in the garage collecting dust if you want it. Short answer to your other questions, I don't trust anybody around here to install trolling motors or electronics. Trolling motor is easy to install, but some things you need to do for running big water that a normal shop wouldn't do. I'd be happy to help ya out with the trolling motor. The biggest pain in the ass for electronics is running the wires. I use a fish tape and that really helps.

11. Member
    Also, I have a 3 bank charger. I use a stand alone charger for the cranking battery. When my 3 bank craps out, then I will replace it with a 4 bank. It only takes a minute to hook up the stand alone. If you have a agm cranking battery, just make sure you buy a charger that has agm capabilities. I use a Shumacher.

Thanks, Dave. I shot you a PM.

Luckily, I have the SHO so no oil tank to worry about :-)

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

13. Member
    I am in process of doing the same thing on my 2000 bass cat and thinking I'll go with the 36v Lester charger. Just plug into your telling motor plug up front and good to go. Saves room in the bilge area not having it in there.

14. Member
    Do it yourself, it's not hard to do it right just takes time. After you mount your batteries, measure it up and order custom jumpers from bestboatwire.com. Good time to add a jumper switch if you don't have one.
    -Matt