05 Triton trailer spare tire mount

Need a little assistance. Last spring I was headed to pick my buddy up on our way to the lake. Once I get to his house, I notice my spare tire (mounted to my trailer under the bow on my boat) was loose and dragging the ground. Upon further inspection, I had been dragging it for sometime and it had a hole and burned rubber. I replaced the spare but have yet figured out how to mount it back in place and to insure it doesn't happen again. Can someone help me out with directions or pics?

903-391-0263
    Joey in Texas

I replaced mine with a side mount on the trailer.

3. Member
    How did it get to the ground. Was it put on upside down or did the nut come loose on the bolt?

4. Member
    I'm not 100% sure. It had some long bolt goin thru it. Had a bend/hooked on the end. I went over a couple of sets of RR tracks (not at high speed) but it was rough. I'm guessing it came loose or got knocked around. When I got to buddies house, it was hanging at a 45deg angle and had obviously been dragging for miles. I just can't figure out how to get it secured safely back under there for travel so I just throw the spare in the back of my truck. Coach

5. Member
    The nut worked loose and let the bolt drop down. You just hook the bolt through the hole in the plate turn the rim to lineup one of the stud holes with it and tighten the nut down. Someone may have tried to steal your spare tire. I have mine lined up with the hole towards the rear of the trailer.
    Last edited by mdtritn21; 01-21-2017 at 10:02 AM.

6. Member
    I'm thanks

7. Member
    I have my spare tire locked down and to keep it steady, I wrapped a pull strap around the rim and trailer, doesn't move at all.

8. Member
    Lock it as said above and use a lock nut on it and it won't go anywhere!

9. Member
    Thanks guys. I did some looking and measuring last night. Think I'm going to get an 8" bolt with lock nut and also strap in in place to make sure it doesn't shift any. Coach

10. Member
    Mines been on my 2004 trailer since new and never came loose. When you draw it down you just put pressure on the tire and it stays tight.