Banned

Torque Master versus Wing Master lower unit

I have a 250 HP Mercury Pro XS 2012. The lower unit was a Torque Master Gen 1. It seized up on me and I had a Gen 2 (wingmaster) installed. When just checking the prop in neutral, I found that the shaft on the new unit was a lot tighter and had less play in it. I have not had it in the water yet and was wondering if this is normal or is it because it is new and will loosen up when I run it several times.

2. Member
    preloaded bearings on propshaft WING wont spin like a gen 1/ has your engine got blue cap on tilt cyl if not merc does not recommend substitute for gen 1/relief press different
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Banned
    No, It is Black, but I was told by the mechanic that I could upgrade.

4. Member
    do some research in 3.0l section on this hope this helps joe
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Banned
    I'm confused Joe, So what would the tilt pressure have to do with the lower unit. This was a Mercury warranty and Mercury knew what Engine I had by the Serial Number. The Mercury Mechanic said I could upgrade and I did. I searched on the 3.Ol section but could not find anything on this. Perhaps a link would help. Thanks,

6. Member
    has something to do with relief pressures in the tilt system for the wing master gearcase/ look under swapping gen 1 for gen 2 or wing master/ need ser num too

7. Banned
    Ser # 1B851463

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L motors (including Carb, EFI, Optimax, XS and ProXS)

The Gen-2 TM (aka: Wingmaster) is SILVER. No "black" option. There IS a Black Gearcase that's available (the Servicemaster/Verado-Style gearcase).

Gen-2 TM should not be "transplanted" to engines that were not originally equipped with that gearcase. If this has already occurred, look at the top of your CENTER "tilt" ram, and observe the end-cap COLOR. What color is it?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Banned
    Don, I sent you a pm. Thanks

10. Member
    please report back with your findings

11. Banned
    Joe, What I really want to know, is now that the lower unit is on the boat and I don't have the Blue cap on the tilt, what are my options. I have not run the engine since I had it put on and I checked with my mechanic and he knew nothing about the relief pressures nor would I have. I Appreciate any help someone can give me at this point. I am hoping it is not an expensive remedy. Thanks

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This gearcase should simply not have ended up on that engine. The appropriate method is to remove the gearcase, and install the CORRECT one.

See PM for further details/questions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor