Thread: Pantera II

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Lamb

Pantera II

Well, this weekend I will be demo a Pantera II boat. I have my fingers crossed that this will be what I am looking for. I have seen the 18' boat and it was not much of a difference (size) then my Ranger. I am limited in my space in the garage so I am looking for 19' boat.

What is the speeds you all getting out of the Pantera?

Well, maybe by next week I will breaking a new boat in.
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

2. Member
    Here is a few threads. Going from the Ranger to the Pantera II you will be very impressed. Its a rocket out the hole and a high 60's to low 70's mph boat.
    Here is a few links.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=pantera+speed
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=pantera+speed
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    2012 P2 with Yamaha 200 SHO. I can run two people full tournament load at 72mph. I have hit 75 empty alone with optimal conditions. Would HIGHLY recommend a P2 and would HIGHLY recommend the SHO. ProXS cant touch the SHO.

4. Member
    :)

I have a pro xs that runs my classic at 76.9 at 5850 RPM (26p fury). I think that'l "touch it" and then some. I'm waiting to try a 27p as well to get it off the rev limiter.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    :)

I have a pro xs that runs my classic at 76.9 at 5850 RPM (26p fury). I think that'l "touch it" and then some. I'm waiting to try a 27p as well to get it off the rev limiter.
    OLDtimer, I was about to put the link to your post on the owners board!
    I'm not sure if there is a performance difference in the Classic vs the PII, but I knew you were bumping 77mph with the ProXs.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

6. Member
    I guess you have the fastest classic ever then..

7. Member
    Best so far is 74.1. Runs 72-73 any day, all day. It will be a handful compared to the ranger

8. Member
    Love my 2011 P2 with dual console, 200 ProXS, 2 power poles, fully loaded and I run 70 all day with two people. You will not be disappointed!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG_LA05 View Post
    I guess you have the fastest classic ever then..
    KG, I believe OLDTIMER is running nitrous!!
    He definitely has his rigged hooked up well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 26 fury will do on it.

I Love the PII. It would have been my first choice over the Sabre, but never could find one I liked along with the right price.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Just estimate between 60's and 70's.

My best speed with a PII, dual consoles, 200 Pro XS with fury prop: 72 mph. It ran comfortably at 68 all day.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    KG, I believe OLDTIMER is running nitrous!!
    He definitely has his rigged hooked up well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the 26 fury will do on it.

I Love the PII. It would have been my first choice over the Sabre, but never could find one I liked along with the right price.
    The 26 has run 76.9 with just me, full tank of gas, and full load of tackle. With the addition of my son and dog (another 200 pounds) it runs 75 consistently in the current temps we are seeing (72 degrees). Both speeds at 5850-5900 RPM, bouncing on the rev limiter.

I have seen a few other classics that have run 76, but you do have to drive it.

I am now thinking about trying a 27p fury since the 26 is still on the rev limiter. The 25p Fury ran 74, the 26 picked up 3mph. ALL of the runs bouncing at 5850-5900... Note that this is a 2014 Pro XS, the second year that the 200 Pro XS was actually different from the 200 optis, i.e. carbon fiber reeds, etc...

BTW I think the PII is maybe 200 pounds heavier than the classic from older specs I saw. Something like 1245 or so for the dry hull, vs 1450'ish...

A hundred pounds is worth 1-1.5mph generally.

13. Member
    Old Timer's Classic is running very well. His numbers are impressive and show what can be achieved with proper setup and spending time testing props. In any case, you will be very impressed with the P-II. Most seem to top out in the low 70's and can achieve more if you play with the setup. The P-II's seem to be 1 or 2 mph slower than the classic but can still run in the 70's if set up properly. Same hull but the P-II is a couple hundred pounds heavier. I have said for years that I believe it is the perfect balance between size, performance, fish-ability, rough water capability, for 90% of the folks out there. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to a 19 footer.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

14. Member
    I am a fan of this size of boat. I have fished out of 20/21 footers and in the right circumstances, they are great. But I spend 90+ percent of my time fishing on the Coosa River chain, mainly Lay and Mitchell. And getting in and out of tight spots is something I do all the time. And my 19 footer really fills the bill there. It handles rough water more than well enough for me as I am not going fishing in 6' waves, and I do my best to be careful enough to not get caught out in such waves very often. And I take my beatings, and run slowly, and get back home safely, if slowly.

And there are times where I miss my older 18' foot boat. And even a few places where I miss my first 16' bass boat.

I went with the 19' length solely based on size/performance/hp limits. I'm pretty much done with the 100+ stuff; in fact, my classic spends most of its time running between 45 and 55. Relaxed, safe, and the difference between 55 and 75 is not that big unless you make an hour run. Might be different if I were on the great lakes every day or something equally big.

My take on all of this is that these 19' boats (classic and PII) will run 65 or so all day long, one-handed, easy driving. If you want to go past that, you will have to earn your keep by driving the boat. They have a very narrow pad, and you CAN get it all the way up on that pad with a good 200, and the right prop / setup. Keeping it up there takes a bit of effort however, but it can be done. But I don't exactly call it "a relaxed sunday drive, however.

If you have driven an allison past 85 or so you will know what I mean.

15. Member
    My old classic saw speeds up to 83 mph and I found it to handle really well above 75.

It seemed like it got on that last step and the air packed under the hull really well and it was quite stable at those speeds. 75 mph was about the speed where it seemed to get on that last step and you were really running on the pad and only the pad. It was a blast and before anyone jumps on me about those speeds they were accomplished with a non-stock motor. With my stock 200 2.5 liter efi I consistently ran in the 76 mph range with a full load and just me. Fastest it saw with that motor stock was 78.1. Then I switched to a 3.0 liter EFI and had some real fun. I had a mission of achieving 85 mph with that rig and never made it due to a chewed up lower unit that would blow out at 83 ish. I dang near went broke putting gas in that thing when high octane was right at $5 per gallon. It sure made me learn to fish what was in front of me and stop all that running all over the place. LOL!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

16. Member
    My last boat was a 92 astro S18b. 18' boat with a Merc XR6. Over the next three years, after studying the merc catalogs and service manual CAREFULLY, I discovered just how close the 150, 175 and 200 were, all on the 2.5 block. So 200 carbs (150's had VERY constricted bores). 200 Exhaust tuner (150's had a tuner that extended all the way to the lower unit), 200 ECU, 200 cylinder liners (150 had ugly notches in top of exhaust port to lower compression and reduce power). Lose the idle stabilizer module which was a silly stealth rev limiter. And eventually land and sea dual plug heads. That boat would break 90 with just me, no trolling motor or batteries. Hit a max of 93mph running a 28p chopper.

But the down-side. Could pass most every boat on the lake, but couldn't pass a gas station for anything. Hole-shot was terrible. Add a 250 pound fishing buddy with the TM and batteries installed, and top speed dropped from 90+ to 60+. The small-eared chopper was simply too lacking in blade area. The XR gear case was the smaller one (92 was first year for XR6 I think). Bearing carrier was skinny. Running a surfacing prop would rag the inside of the gear case out. I learned to use beer/soft-drink cans, cut into strips, used as "filler around the bearing carrier" to try to limit the "chatter". All in all, fast as the devil, but was forever needing tinkering.

Fast forward. Now only running 77 max, but 75 with a heavy co-angler. Great hole shot. Great fuel mileage at 55 cruising speed. NO tinkering constantly replacing seals, lower units, bearing carriers (someone even made a racing carrier for the XR gear case that had much larger contact areas with the inside of the L/U, but not near enough as I found out). I have been experimenting, but only trying to find an optimal prop pitch that will keep this thing off the rev limiter. No over-hub props intended as I don't plan on having to tinker regularly with the lower unit. In short, I've retired from my real job, and retired from my "tinkering" job, and plan on enjoying fishing. Not to mention occasionaly demonstrating why some still think that "black is beautiful" (different kind of black, of course). ;) A merc can usually pass me uncontested unless I know the driver. A Yammer or coke machine ('rude g2), not so much. Hondas and Zukis don't even try. :)

My intent is to have fun while I am able, and after 68 years, I am not always considering spinning a wrench as "fun" although I still do it a lot.

Mine runs / drives pretty well at any speed I have reached so far. But at 65 it is just about hands-off. At 75 it needs some driver help. My astro did get better past 80 as well. But don't go to sleep. I have a few horror stories about Allisons I have driven. The "allison waggle" is something you won't forget once you learn to recognize it. My wife asked me "why do you need a 200hp motor on that thing." I replied "remember, the goal is to catch fish. To catch them you have to be able to go faster than they can go..." Don't think she bought it, as she muttered something unprintable as she walked away. :)

17. Mike Lamb
    Guys, thanks for the info. I am wanting something that can fit in the garage and run with the big boys on the lake when fishing tournaments. I must admit, if it wasnt for speaking with John Crews at the Raleigh boat show for the last 3 years. I would not even consider it. Yea I know information is key and that is on me. I love my little ranger and it has been great boat. But looking for something little bigger and more storage. This looks like the best of both.

I cant wait for the demo today. Local pro is going to let me ride and drive his boat at Jordan. 70mph looks like a great speed when needed. Question what is the best prop? I will want the ProXP (SHO adds 4" to the trailer, small garge). Also if someone has the best set up for this I would love to hear it. (all around set up)

Mike Lamb
    Michael Lamb
    2017 / Ranger 518c 200 Mercury Pro XS
    Raleigh, NC

Quote Originally Posted by mike28nc View Post
    Guys, thanks for the info. I am wanting something that can fit in the garage and run with the big boys on the lake when fishing tournaments. I must admit, if it wasnt for speaking with John Crews at the Raleigh boat show for the last 3 years. I would not even consider it. Yea I know information is key and that is on me. I love my little ranger and it has been great boat. But looking for something little bigger and more storage. This looks like the best of both.

I cant wait for the demo today. Local pro is going to let me ride and drive his boat at Jordan. 70mph looks like a great speed when needed. Question what is the best prop? I will want the ProXP (SHO adds 4" to the trailer, small garge). Also if someone has the best set up for this I would love to hear it. (all around set up)

Mike Lamb
    Is it Jamie Caldwell ?????

Set up will be pretty easy. The boat will probably come with a 25P Fury. Set the jackplate flush (assuming 8" Slidemaster manual plate). The best running will be +\- 1/4". The same can be said for a Fury4. I have run just about every prop available and these two are the best. You might get slightly better speed from a 26P Tempest but it will drive a bit squirrely at WOT. The difference will be minimal though.

My boat will run 69 weighed down for a tournament... 2 guys, gear, full livewells and gas. I have a 10gal kicker tank too. I also have a dual console, 101 Fortrex. My "ProXS" is in name only so it is an Optimax with ProXS decals. A true ProXS should add a couple MPH.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Member
    I can only speak for my '14 pro xs, but the 25 was not enough prop. Good hole shot, but all over the rev limiter on top end. 26p same deal, and that's the prop I am currently running. Excellent hole shot, top end 75 and above depending on load. You can see my numbers above. I probably won't experiment further with props until I see what happens in July / August when the air temp reaches 100 along with the humidity. That might be enough to drag it down off the rev limiter although I will be surprised if it drags it down enough to make me switch back to the 25p.

The fury props seem like the real deal.
    Last edited by OldTimer57; 01-24-2017 at 06:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast