Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I am still a bit perplexed as to why this was never a problem with the Maxxium or Fortrex mounts. The motor shafts on both models are oriented 90 degrees to the holding bracket and, at least in the instance of my X2, the shaft remained perpendicular both on my trailer and in the water. If the slope of my boat is the issue, and I accept that explanation, why was it not an issue with the Maxxium?
    Actually the bowguard of the Fortrex and Maxxum (knuckle as some call it) angles the shaft down (when stowed) to create a bow in the shaft that helps hold the motor flat against the motor rest. The transmission (instead of the bowguard) of the Ultrex allows the shaft to exit at a higher point than the Maxxum and Fortrex, but is still tilted downward to allow the shaft tension that holds the motor to the mount. Since the shaft exits higher, the angle is more severe and doesn't come back to a 90 degree when deployed like the Maxxum and Fortrex.
    Last edited by Jonestrollingmotor; 01-26-2017 at 01:42 PM.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I have a question aobut the shaft having a bend it (due to designed tension to keep the lower unit tight against the mount). Should that tension be released while stowing the boat at home by not having it locked down all the time?/ I mean if that tension is there 24/7 day after day etc. will it not put a bind on the "transmission" or bearings in there and wear prematurely over time? Just asking?

I checked mine deployed yesterday (on the trailer with the bow up like in the water) and it is not tucked under like some are stating
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Member
    I had to shim my first Fortrex mount due to problems retracting and deploying the unit. John will remember I'm sure. Otherwise you had to stand on the upper structure to get it to release. I put a rubber cushioned shim under the front 6 inches of mount......problem solved.

4. Member
    Other than a couple of brain farts running this ultrex on my 198 champion has been a breeze the foot pedal fit beautifully and I don't have the three degree or 15 degree angle that everyone was concerned about it seems to work great everything seems to look great and line up correctly okay. I can't wait until this water it gets soft again up here

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Thank you! That is exactly the angle that my motor exhibits and was attempting to explain. I understand that may not be an issue with some, and perhaps all, other boats but is is certainly a problem with my Triton X2. If anyone is successful in mounting a Ultrex on an X2, or similar boat with a forward slope at the bow, I would greatly appreciate their solution.

I certainly did did not intend to criticize Minnkota or create controversy. I only seek a solution
    Might try hightech outdoors in driffenville area. Its on old 68 through Arora area. Its heading up towards fast eddies. Heard on face book where they had to modify a guys boat to install the 52" ultrex.

Got a question, I have a Triton too and since the ultrex head is bigger it now sticks off the gunnel about 2 inches. Do y'all have the same problem? Should I reposition and drill all new holes or just go ahead and mount it? Thanks for the help

The BASS Elite Tournament will be in town here this weekend for Cherokee Lake. MinnKota will have a display at the Fan Expo Sat and Sun. Don't know who will be manning that display, but will be asking them about this issue. Will also ask any pros I talk to if they've had any issues with their Ultrex (but, like you say, they're not going to bash a sponsor). I also have an 18' 2008 Triton Special Edition with a MG Digital Tour but thinking about an Ultrex replacement.

One thing I'm interested in asking the pros is their experiences so far with bumping into things like stumps (since the Ultrex shaft has no spring for recoil).

8. Member
    Check out this video

He runs into a few stumps and trees.
    2021 Phoenix 921 ProXP w/Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke
    Bow Garmin Force, Garmin 126SV and 12"Solix, Mega 360, Livescope
    Console Garmin 126SV and 12"Solix
    Ionic 125ah, 3 Battleborn 100ah, Power pole charge, 8ft Power Poles

Catch and Release for our children's future.

9. Banned
    so whats the verdict on the angle

10. Member
    Looks fine on my Champion. .. not nearly enough to get worried about

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady bass View Post
    Looks fine on my Champion. .. not nearly enough to get worried about

12. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    mine looks normal on mine. same as the MG tour did
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

13. Banned
    i thought i saw somewhere that they came with shims anyway

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i thought i saw somewhere that they came with shims anyway
    Mine didnt

15. Member
    t

16. Member

17. Member
    I use old hay baler belt to mount & shim my TM's when I mount them. Cut same size as bottom of TM mount. If angle is an issue, shim up with another layer or 2 on the end that needs to be raised. Truck mud flap material is too thick, unless you need more shimming. Use a punch to cut out mounting bolt holes. Drilling doesn't work on rubber(trust me). If on a flat surface(no extra shimming required on ends) I ALWAYS use this. It cuts down on vibration/noise through TM mount to fiberglass hull. Quiet/Silent TM operation.
    ANY tough rubber material can be used. I just use baler belt because I have old ones Ive replaced.

ALSO, if you have to drill new holes, fill old holes with fiberglass resin. Keep those hulls sealed up from water intrusion.Duct tape on underneath side & pour resin till flush with top.
    When drilling new holes, run drill in reverse till your through gelcoat & into wood to prevent chipping & spider cracking of your gelcoat around holes. Do this on ANY holes you drill thru gelcoat to mount things.
    Tips I've been taught over 30 years that seem to be beneficial/eliminate chipping,cracking.
    Last edited by Hoss Triton; 06-09-2018 at 11:33 PM.

1992 Champion 201 DCR Elite
    2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456