Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ultrex Installation and adjustment

I have begun an installation of the Minnkota Ultrex on my 2008 Triton 21 X2. All has gone well except when deployed the motor shaft is not vertical but oriented at an angle in the direction of the boat transom. I cannot find any means of adjusting the angle of the motor shaft and the owner's manual offers no assistance. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?

2. Member
    Is the bow deck angled?

Is the shaft 90 degrees to the mount when deployed?

3. Member
    Call MinnKota, they are easy to reach, talk with and very helpful.

4. Member
    I believe that in the owners manual it explains how to calibrate the head to the keel so that they are aligned if that is what you are looking for

5. Member
    If it's setting in the water, remember stern sits lower and will raise the bow, is it straight then? There is no adjustment on the trolling motor itself. It sits at a 90 degree angle to the bracket, so if it's tilted, the bracket is tilted and that would be due to the bow. Many boats have the bow made that way to offset the lowered stern that I spoke of earlier.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Thank you for your response Mr Jones

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    I have begun an installation of the Minnkota Ultrex on my 2008 Triton 21 X2. All has gone well except when deployed the motor shaft is not vertical but oriented at an angle in the direction of the boat transom. I cannot find any means of adjusting the angle of the motor shaft and the owner's manual offers no assistance. Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution?
    how did your food pedal fit in your x2 boat sir? any photos? i'm getting ready to mount one in a 2008 20x2.
    text me any that you have sir?
    text 2702279045

8. Member
    No photos yet but the pedal fits well inside the recessed tray on my Triton X2. The issue so far, beyond the one expressed in my original post, is the height of the motor on the gunnel. I knew from other's experiences and posts on BBC that it would be taller but had been told it would be approximately 2 " inches taller than my original Maxxum. It is, in fact, a bit more than 11 inches taller. My fitted cover will be useless unless modified.

9. Member
    let me know where you get your cover modified at, if you do? mines also got a Triton custom cover on it. I haven't received my ultrex yet. i know I've been told they make a triton custom cover for motor guide and minn kota motors. The minn kota being slightly bigger. but don't know for the ultrex height. a lot of money for this new trolling motor change over.

10. Member

photos

photo of a Triton 2008 x2 foot pedal, with a ultrex pedal.
    thanks for sharing

11. Member
    I continued to work on my Ultrex motor install this weekend. The issue that I cited in the beginning of this thread is unresolved and real. The motor shaft is not 90 degrees to the mount- it is negatively slanted 12 degrees toward the stern of my boat. The attached photos will serve to illustrate the problem. There is no adjustment to correct this angle. An additional concern is the fact that the shaft has no ability to flex if it encounters an obstacle in the water- no break back spring as on the Maxxium mount

12. Member
    No pics yet

13. Member
    Text me the photos sir and ill post them for you. I know on my x2 boat my motor guide also is at a good angle facing under my boat to when on trailer.
    Bill text 2702279045

14. Member
    Will do. Thanks

15. Member

Photo

Photo of ultrex shaft poistion after flush mount on 21x2 Triton

16. Member
    I'm no expert but I bet it will be correct when in the water.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

17. Member
    I certainly hope so but am doubtful. The level in the photo is vertically aligned to level, proving that the shaft is not at a 90 degree angle to the mount. No matter how much I raise the bow of the boat utilizing the trailer jack, and this lower the stern, the motor shaft remains "tucked" 12 degrees to the rear. I do not see how placing the boat in the water will alter this relationship. If the shaft of the motor were perpendicular to the mount (i.e. 90 degrees) I would agree.

I am not sure what to do. The angle of the motor shaft is determined by two small protrusions on the sides of the Fortrex bracket. The Ultex motor driver and shaft fit snugly over these protrusions and there is no adjustment after installation. If these protrusions were off vertical by even a small amount the motor shaft alignment would be significantly impacted. I am fearful this is what I have as all photos I can find of the Ultrex motor mounted on a boat, including in the Minnkota promotional sites, shows a vertical alignment of the shaft to the mount....

18. Member
    Is there a "waterline" on your boat (on most white boats you can faintly see a waterline)? If so, raise the front of the boat with the trailer jack til the water line is level, then check the angle on the trolling motor. I think you're going to find it's in the angle of the boat deck.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

19. Member
    No expert here but I have used Fortrex motors on my last two boats. I wonder if the deflection is within the range of the "give" that is built in to allow the shaft to move back a little if you hit something under water. It looks like it has moved rearward but did not return to the vertical position...just a random thought.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    No expert here but I have used Fortrex motors on my last two boats. I wonder if the deflection is within the range of the "give" that is built in to allow the shaft to move back a little if you hit something under water. It looks like it has moved rearward but did not return to the vertical position...just a random thought.
    He has the Ultrex. The Ultrex doesn't the bow guard with the spring like the Fortrex and Maxxum does.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast