Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head

The Mrs and I are wanting to take our first (in 18 years) vacation. Just the two of us. Going the first 2 weeks of March. We are looking at these two locations. Have any of you folks been there that time of year? Is there any good fishing that time of year?? I know I will not be happy just laying around the hot tub or a pool. Any good bass fishing near either place?? Should I bring my boat??
    Last edited by GaryL; 01-20-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Don't take the boat. It would be a nightmare parking unless you rent a house.

3. JayMcCormack
    Do you play golf?

If so both are good but Hilton Head by far. Tons of golf course ponds full of bass but not sure about access if you are not staying on property.

So many restrictions put on salt water fish if that is what you're thinking. Best bet would be to call the wardens office and ask them what would be in season. I went to Hilton head and sorry to say I didn't like it. I'm use to Destin and Hilton head just didn't compare to me. The ocean was a dirty green like a river, and the sand was brown. Now the landscape was beautiful, but the ocean did it for me.

Just one man's opinion, but once you've visited the gulf coast of Florida the other places just don't measure up. From Clearwater Beach to Naples it awesome. I prefer the Indian Rocks Beach area, never any rowdy crowds, very family oriented. The sand is snow like, white and clean.

(606)305-1956

6. Member
    As far as Myrtle, it depends on which part you come in to and what time of year, saltwater can be very good with the right guide or knowledge on what to do. There are plenty of places to catch bass as well. Shoot me a pm whenever ya'll are coming down with what you're looking to do and I can guide you around a bit better.

Of the two that the OP asked about I prefer Hilton Head as a nicer resort. Myrtle has gone down a couple of notches on quality of the area. Get a guide and chase redfish in the grass. Very similar to bass fishing but with bigger and faster fish in skinny water.
    I'd not consider towing a boat that far.
    Remember if it Flies, floats of F$^# it's cheaper to rent than to own.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

8. Banned
    hilton head and take boat. I live in SC and go to HH often PM me if u like

Gary myrtle beach is the Saco/Hampton beach of the south ... it's your first vacation in 18 years step it up to Charleston.. will have a lot more to do

10. Member
    Would take vacations to Myrtle every year. We decided to try HH. We have made about 18 straight trips to HH and absolutely love it. We did decide a few years ago to go back to Myrtle. Well lets just say we were planning our next years HH trip while we were in Myrtle. HH is more family oriented. HH is also so much more of a BEAUTIFUL place.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

11. Member
    I can't speak for Myrtle beach, but Hilton Head is damn nice, and golf courses are tremendous

12. Member
    We rent a house in Garden City. It is south of Myrtle down by Murrells Inlet. Check at Dunes Realty. They're good to work with.

13. Member
    If you are going to myrtle beach..I'd suggest you stay in Murrells Inlet or Pawleys Island....I'd suggest Charleston though

HHI, we've gone about 13 years. You'll need a rental house for a boat, some decent inshore fishing. A little more laid back than Myrtle.

Myrtle is great w/ about anything "touristy" you'd want to do, but I prefer Wilmington, NC about 60 miles up the coast. Great beaches, food, places to see. With Wilmington as a base, you could make the trip down for a day to Myrtle or run up the coast to the outer banks. I personally hate fake feeling vacation spots. Only go to restaurants that are open year round where the locals eat.

16. Member
    Hatteras/nags head is pretty beautiful and you'll be able to surf fish for giant stripers.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMcCormack View Post
    Do you play golf?

If so both are good but Hilton Head by far. Tons of golf course ponds full of bass but not sure about access if you are not staying on property.

Golf is on the back burner. I suck at it. Unless you get points for the most lost balls.

18. Member
    Lots of good info guys. Thanks very much.

19. Member
    Very hard to compare the two locations.....they are totally different. HH much more quiet and 1000 times nicer.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwillie View Post
    Very hard to compare the two locations.....they are totally different. HH much more quiet and 1000 times nicer.
    When you say "more quiet", could you also say more snobby? Things are pretty tightly regulated on the island. They don't even like me peeing into the lagoon in the morning.

I've made the drive from Bangor to HH 3 times and flown 6-8 times. Prefer to fly but then you have to rent a car. No effin way would I haul a bass boat down there. I wouldn't take a lot of bass tackle either unless you have something lined-up ahead of time. Like someone else said, the only bass to be had will be golf course ponds and golf courses are NOT angler friendly even if you're staying in the development. I'd target reds and maybe baby tarpon either by hiring a guide for a day or two or doing a ton of research before going. Luckily, you have BBC for all of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast