Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    IL >Tinley Park & Shawnee N.F. Lakes Explorer. Help..

Anyone ever have House Windows Tinted ?

I have a nice House built in the late 70's with a Big Picture Window that is in 9 sections(1.5 x1.0). I do not want to replace it ($$) but I was wondering if I can get it tinted. I am trying to find a company now for the job, I see shade companies and car window tinters. Has anyone ever hired a company to come and tint your house windows ? How did it turn out and what was the cost ?

My parents had theirs done.

3. Banned
    Any ideas what kind of company did the work > I probably should call a window company .I am glad there is such a service. Did they like it ?

Yeah they liked it. Not sure the company or cost. I can ask them. They only had one side of the house done that gets the midday and afternoon sun. Helps keep the house cooler.

5. Member
    Mom did the back of her house, we have frosted tinted a bunch of bathroom windows here its very easy to do, but anybody that can tint car windows housewindows would be a breeze for them. Also companys that hang blinds and shades usually have someone that can tint also.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    We used the same company that tinted my truck windows. I love it. We did our entire house and love it. For the most part you can't really see inside my house during the day. At night you have to get really close to the windows. It cuts way down on sun fade to your carpets, furniture, and hardwood floors. Looking from the inside out, I don't notice much difference. I highly recommend doing this.

Not all that hard to do. I did ours in a newly built house 20 years ago which had a lot of glass on the south side. Bought the tint and applied with soapy water, a little trimming with a snap-off knife, done.
    Veteran, NRA Patron Life Member

Most windows companies (Pella, Andersen, Marvin, Window World, etc) do not tint windows. Your best bet is to call someone who actually specializes in tinting.
    Last edited by mattg589; 01-19-2017 at 04:37 PM.

9. Member
    Have you considered solar screens? Here is a link to some info.http://www.efficientwindowcoverings....r-solar-screen
    1987 Ranger 373V 150 Yamaha proV still going strong.

I went to oreillys and bought dark tint and did mine myself. Just follow the directions. If you can't do it yourself, talk to an automotive window tinter. I'm sure they would make a house call.

My windows came with a tint and I really like them. Double pain gas filled.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    I went to oreillys and bought dark tint and did mine myself...
    Turned out great, too.

Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Turned out great, too.

There are DIY kits out there to tint or obscure your glass. I work on doors and windows and see them from time to time when I go to lived in homes.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

15. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    lots of homes with tint around here.. most auto window tinters are mobile now a days.. google is your fiend.. they came to my house and did my accord in the garage..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

16. Banned
    What does it cost to do a large window ? I guess I will call a car tinter. Thanks Aurora !!If you had Your windows tinted, what kind of company did you use ? I am NOT interested in doing it myself.

17. Member
    I would say save the money and do it yourself. Take your time and prep it right. Clean is the key. It's really easy

Look into having the IDGL ( individual divided glass lite) sash replaced with a modern tinted, UV protected, triple insulated gas filled sash. It won't sweat, it will protect the colors of the fabric and rugs and will have the best insulation value. Your local glass replacement company like Glass Dr. can do this.

19. Banned
    I received a lot of great ideas and comments. I will look into the gas filled sash(whatever this is ?? lol ). I actually think my gas leaked on 2 of the windows(they look dirty on inside of both panes). I will also look into doing it myself compared to outside help with tinting.

20. Member
    One of the window companies I send referrals to, says not to tint. He said the window needs some UV penetration or else it will cause the window to flex too much and break. I've personally seen several windows tinted and have never seen any issues... But, I do trust what he was saying.
    Champion 206
    250XB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast