Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Banned
    Does that sensor stick out past the tire?

2. Member
    Do you take these off before launching the boat?

3. Member
    Good picture. I went to Oreillys and got their 1.5 inch metal valves. They come with the two sizes of grommets that fit most rims. The .625" and .453". My 14 inch rims take the .453" grommet. I took the spare to Discount Tire to see if these valves would work using the .453" grommet and it did. So Im good to go. The sensor fits just to the edge of the tire. I guess if you had longer valve stems, the sensor could stick outside the tire. With the metal valve stem there is no movement. The manufacturer does not want the unit while traveling to have the possibility to bang against the rim and possibly damaging it. If I curbed the tire just right it might hit the sensor. Thanks for the help.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinpruett View Post
    No you don't. They are a sealed unit. I will take them off when I am done for the day. When they are off they quit reading. The battery life is around 5 years with continual use. The manufacturer said if you remove them when you store your boat, they shut off. You have to take them off to put air in the tire. With the wrench they provide, its like taking the cap off the valve. Real quick and easy.

5. Member
    Hope you guys post back here on how the TST system is working out.

I like my Dill system with the internal sensors. It's integrated with the stem valves.

Definitely nice knowing what's going on back there.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

6. Member
    The only reason why I did not go with the Dill system is the local retailer ( Discount Tire) knew very little about it. They said I was going to have to hard wire the monitor which was incorrect and the only thing they would do was install the sensors. They did not know how to program it etc. TST pre-programmed the unit I got from them and so the only thing I had to do was screw them on and turn on the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket man View Post
    Does that sensor stick out past the tire?
    No. I bought the shorter stems.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Nope. They are water resistance. However, when they are on the stem they are using battery power to send signal. Once taken off they do not send the signal and thus saves the battery. So if you're not going to use them for a while then you may want to remove for storage. I beleive battery life is 5 years.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    Good picture. I went to Oreillys and got their 1.5 inch metal valves. They come with the two sizes of grommets that fit most rims. The .625" and .453". My 14 inch rims take the .453" grommet. I took the spare to Discount Tire to see if these valves would work using the .453" grommet and it did. So Im good to go. The sensor fits just to the edge of the tire. I guess if you had longer valve stems, the sensor could stick outside the tire. With the metal valve stem there is no movement. The manufacturer does not want the unit while traveling to have the possibility to bang against the rim and possibly damaging it. If I curbed the tire just right it might hit the sensor. Thanks for the help.
    Good deal! Glad you got them going. Great piece of mind towing any trailer.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Hope you guys post back here on how the TST system is working out.

I like my Dill system with the internal sensors. It's integrated with the stem valves.

Definitely nice knowing what's going on back there.
    I've had mine for a year and can't be more pleased. The customer service is outstanding if you have any issues.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tromanoski View Post
    The only reason why I did not go with the Dill system is the local retailer ( Discount Tire) knew very little about it. They said I was going to have to hard wire the monitor which was incorrect and the only thing they would do was install the sensors. They did not know how to program it etc. TST pre-programmed the unit I got from them and so the only thing I had to do was screw them on and turn on the monitor.
    There is no programming on the Dill.
    The sensors come with, I guess, pre programmed chip that goes in the back of the receiver for which position it is on the trailer.
    So when you rotate tires you just move the respective chips to the new position to show true positioning on the trailer.

No big deal, they both do the same job. Peace of mind when going down the road.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

12. Banned
    Wonder if these would work to keep sensor inside wheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-DEGREE-AN...xUu1EJ&vxp=mtr

Wonder if these would work to keep sensor inside wheel. http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-DEGREE-AN...xUu1EJ&vxp=mtr
    TST mounts on the outside. You can always contact them.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

14. Member
    First you just have to make sure the grommet size is correct for rim. I also think where the valve whole location on the rim might make a difference as well on how far the sensor sticks out. Get the Dill System which mounts inside the rim if you are worried about the TST external sensor sticking outside the tire. Mine did not with the 1.5 inch stems I got from Oriellys. The Dill System is endorsed by no other than Roland Martin. The same guy that endorsed the banjo minnow and helicopter lure.

15. Banned
    I was just thinking that if the valve stem was a 45 degree angle to the wheel it would be straight up and not stick outside the tire.

16. Member
    Do the sensors mount on the valve stem effect tire balance?
    Looks to me like they might.

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The Dill site mentions up to 7 year battery life, but no mention at all of what happens when batteries fail. Can they be replaced or do you need new sensors? It says you need new seals on the valve stem every tire change, but I can find no mention of how to order the seal kit or batteries.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    I don't know if you send the Dill Sensors back to them for new batteries or you just buy new sensors. The TST 510 unit which I bought is a seald unit and you have to buy new sensors. They have a 507 unit that is not a waterproof system and you can replace the batteries. The 507 sensors are not recommended for boat trailers because the wheels are submerged when launching the boat. They do only take about a minute to install/uninstall so I guess if you remember you can take them off before backing the boat trailer back into the water. But I think that would be a pain after a while.

19. Banned
    Where are you buying the TST 510 for 159 ? I looked at their site and they want 259.

Do the sensors mount on the valve stem effect tire balance?
    Looks to me like they might.
    If they do I cannot tell it.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast