Thread: 2002 cougar?

2002 cougar?

What can anyone tell me about this boat? The good and the bad. From my research I believe it is an all fiberglass constructed hull but I can't find many first hand reviews when searching the web. It currently has an Optimax hanging off the back which is a concern because I believe that was a problem year for them.'

2. Member
    The price would determine the answer. Buying any used boat and motor is always somewhat of a gamble.
    great boat though. If you pass on it, send me the info!
    \" If you ain\'t first, you\'re last!\"

3. Member
    I had an 02 225 that was a nightmare. Nobody could fix it. Mine ended up getting a fully dressed head (2005) at no cost to me other than labor, but oh did it cost me serious $ in taking it the shop, tourneys, and lost days fishing. That motor was a whole different animal. No issues whatsoever. The boat is probably just fine if it hasn't been used and abused. I would look the rig over closely. The motor would be my main concern, especially if it was had new powerhead(s) installed with the original bolt on components still in play. I would follow Don Weed's advise on proper steps on checking out a prospective used motor. If my mind serves me correctly 2000-2003 were not so great for that motor.

EFI engines were very dependable as a whole and the boat was a pure full Vinyl Ester all fiberglass build. Good stuff!

5. Member
    I don't think the price is the worst being listed at $11,500. Just four things I'm not a fan of is a Bimini top was put on it, has an Optimax during the problem years, carpet removed and replaced with what appears a not slip surface and some rod holders for catfishing where installed onto the deck.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I don't think the price is the worst being listed at $11,500. Just four things I'm not a fan of is a Bimini top was put on it, has an Optimax during the problem years, carpet removed and replaced with what appears a not slip surface and some rod holders for catfishing where installed onto the deck.
    If possible get a compression test on the engine.
    Check the engine to Hydraulic steering connections for wear. Grab the motor and move it side to side to see if there is air and wear in the system.
    Make sure the console instrument pad works everything.
    Make sure it works the livewell aerator, Recirc, pump out/pump in.
    Make sure it will the Nav lights.
    Check the trailer springs, links, and rocking beam for wear.
    If any of these issues need addressing, you can work him on price. Keep in mind pretty much everything on that boat can be fixed thru Basscat Parts store.
    I can be upgraded with new seats and center steps. That's the great thing about owning a BCB.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    I was told a few years ago by a Mercury dealer that '00 and '01 where the years to really beware of, especially the '01s. I've seen the listing for the boat you are referring too! If I was in the market for a boat I'd definitely go check it out.
    BTW I have an '03 Cougar and I love my boat!
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smjunior25 View Post
    I was told a few years ago by a Mercury dealer that '00 and '01 where the years to really beware of, especially the '01s. I've seen the listing for the boat you are referring too! If I was in the market for a boat I'd definitely go check it out.
    BTW I have an '03 Cougar and I love my boat!
    I really would like to go see it. There isn't a number listed and I have been unsuccessful getting ahold of him via email. Going to try one more time tonight.

9. Member
    Other than the few things you dont like about it (I agree i wouldn't like them either) sounds like a solid boat. My 2000 Jag is awesome similar hull to yours and it will move pretty good with 250XB. I've had thoughts about getting a newer boat but think that even as old as it is when the time comes i will probably just repower it with a 250XS. Would love a SHO but no local mechanics that have been spoken highly of. You'll love the boat and it'll be easy enough to scrap the extra stuff he added onto it. Post pictures.