HDS 9 gen3 in older Triton

I have a 1999 TX21 and want to put hds9gen3 on the bow first and console later..can I use the original wires positive and negative to power the new unit or should I go with a larger gauge wires?

I have a 99 TR-21 and ran separate 14 gauge wiring runs straight from the batteries to the bow and console. This eliminated the low voltage messages I was getting. The original wiring was diseased from the dealer splicing in at the bow when the first set of electronics was installed, then the repeated slicing of new electronic installs. Highly recommend spending an afternoon doing this...life is better!

Quote Originally Posted by kensafishin View Post
    I have a 1999 TX21 and want to put hds9gen3 on the bow first and console later..can I use the original wires positive and negative to power the new unit or should I go with a larger gauge wires?
    My answer to this is try it first. If it works then you have more time to fish. If not, then pull the wires.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

I agree with Haybo, run wire direct to the battery and you will not suffer the problem of your units turning off when you start your big engine.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Mine connects to an add-on ELECTRONICS ONLY fuse panel that I Power from the battery, via a relay that is turned on by the accessory switch.

6. Member
    All good ideas guys...had a friend tell me last night they ran wires directly from the batteries with a fuse so it got rid of low voltage readings.

7. Member
    Also I have a battery switch which when I turn it off everything in the boat is off...should I bypass this switch or connect one side to it also?

8. Member
    Ttt

9. Member
    When it comes to electronics, I always do the same which is similar to what Savage told you, a separate power feed.

Run 12 or even 10 gauge wires from battery to console. On the positive wire, at the battery, install a 30 amp breaker.

At the console area, install a switch on the positive wire.

Install a marine fuse panel with negative buss, under console in kick area for example.

Run negative wire frim battery directly to negative buss on panel.

Run power wire from switch to positive buss connection.

You now have a separate power supply panel for all electronics, power your devices by installing appropriate sized fuses and connecting power wires to panel. When done for the day, turn off panel power switch to prevent possible power drains such as N2K networks. Run 12 or 14 gauge wire from panel to each unit etc

10. Member
    I always use this panel :

https://www.bluesea.com/products/502..._Bus_and_Cover

I hage rigged a lot of boats around here for folks, they all run this setup and no issues yet.

11. Member
    Ok thanks a bunch