Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I'm bookmarking all those links...Thanks Hatcreek,....I have been working a ton but should have some time soon to sit down and watch some videos on calling...

I went to my local big box sporting goods store...(Field and Stream)... They had a ton of Turkey shell options in the Mags but only had one choice...way at the bottom of the shelf... of 2 3/4 in number 5.. So if I am going to go that route I will probably have to order shells.....Beginning to think that new 870 SP Turkey/predator may be in my future....Honey, we're going to need a bigger gun safe.

2. Member
    Just to make sure I am following this right you use the same crystal disk and just swap out the striker for different calls???

3. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Just to make sure I am following this right you use the same crystal disk and just swap out the striker for different calls???
    Each striker is capable of making the same type call (yelp, cut, purr, etc.), it's just that each will sound a bit different... The Purple Heart is just my preference with that particular 'slate'.

If you're thinking about ordering some custom turkey shells, there's really only one name to know, IMO...

http://nitrocompany.com/

His 3 1/2" loads kill at both ends.
    Who controls John Gill?

One thing I failed to mention that Brian touched on, you don't have to be perfect when calling. If you mess up, don't over do it trying to correct the mistake. Think of it as some of the best of the BBC when they create some of the great grammer errors on here...another call I forgot to mention that I carry that has got me out of a few pickles is the H.S. Strut Squealing Hen. Google a few videos on this call..it works...
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

5. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    One thing I failed to mention that Brian touched on, you don't have to be perfect when calling...
    Exactly...

I was working a bird one morning and he seemed to be acting right... gobbling every so often, closer to me each time. Before long, he went completely silent, which they'll often do (except for "drumming") when they get close to where they think the hen is. Then... I heard the most godawful calling probably 200 yards or so from me, and figured just freakin' great... another hunter has heard this Tom and he's moving in and going to screw everything up.

Meanwhile, the gobbler has totally shut up and the dabm "hunter" is quickly closing the distance toward me. About that time, I see a hen coming through the woods with the strutter in attendance. Yep... she cut loose with that same terrible sound again... It was her all along and she was looking for the other hen (me) that was trying to steal her suitor.

I never was able to kill that gobbler... But that day did teach me that a "crappy" caller can still persuade a Tom under the right circumstances.
    Who controls John Gill?

Y'all keep on and y'all will be killing the bird for him. just messing with y'all.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    Y'all keep on and y'all will be killing the bird for him. just messing with y'all.
    I need all the help I can get..lol..

Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    One thing I failed to mention that Brian touched on, you don't have to be perfect when calling. If you mess up, don't over do it trying to correct the mistake. Think of it as some of the best of the BBC when they create some of the great grammer errors on here...another call I forgot to mention that I carry that has got me out of a few pickles is the H.S. Strut Squealing Hen. Google a few videos on this call..it works...
    My buddy tried the squealing hen. He said two toms were out in a road. He used the call and said the toms didn't stop till they were in the next county.

He mustve hit it too hard or something...I use it very sparingly...time has to be right..it's not one of those calls you can use all the time....I've had it shut a few up that were right on the edge of not talking anyway...but that's the only time I'll use it is at a last resort type thing now...occasionally with multiple birds to try and fool then into thinking one is being bred...I have confidence in the call...

Jonathan Hillstrand

10. Member
    I think I am going to try the Winchester XR Rooster.http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...r-xr-ammo.aspx..It gives me three shot choices (4,5,6) and is readily available in 2 3/4 at the local sporting good stores..It has the same technology as the XR long beard..... ..I don't want to have to buy a "Turkey specific" gun this year until I see what is what....I will just have to know my guns capabilities and be disciplined...
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 01-20-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I think I am going to try the Winchester XR Rooster.http://www.winchester.com/library/ne...r-xr-ammo.aspx..It gives me three shot choices (4,5,6) and is readily available in 2 3/4 at the local sporting good stores..It has the same technology as the XR long beard..... ..I don't want to have to buy a "Turkey specific" gun this year until I see what is what....I will just have to know my guns capabilities and be disciplined...
    you can't go wrong with the long heard xr in my opinion.

12. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    A lot of good information here.

Patience has harvested more turkeys for me than all the fancy chokes, decoys and equipment made.

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have too."
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Quote Originally Posted by Gamblinman View Post
    A lot of good information here.

Patience has harvested more turkeys for me than all the fancy chokes, decoys and equipment made.

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have too."
    Patience is number 1 you could say very easily...I remember Ben Lee once did a hunt in south Alabama I believe and there was this old turkey that had everybody fooled. Least he said it did anyway. After getting the story of the bird, he set out that afternoon for and afternoon hunt and by mid afternoon he was back at the clubhouse with the bird in hand having never made a call. He summed up just of the guys information what the bird's routine was and set up on an old road and waited for the bird to come to him. That's exactly what he did.

Jonathan Hillstrand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12