Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Building New Home: help

Will be in the process of building a new home in the next year or so. Would appreciate any guidance from those who have done this recently or are in the business. Is there a itemized things to make decisions on?? What to look out for? What to plan for? What shouldn't be done? Budget issues?? Don't have house plans yet & that's been a tough item. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I haven't been too vague but just need help getting the ball rolling. Thanks!

2. Member
    All I will say is have $30,000 to $50,000 extra budgeted or laying around!

3. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    one thing that will help is once you have plans set, take them to cabinet maker soon...............often, they are 4-6 months out if they are reputable and good at it

take notes...........lots of notes of any/all ideas that come to mind...............and as far as furniture placement in a room, a 14x16 is NOT the same as a 16x14 when you throw in a window or two
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

4. Member
    I've built two...GREAT advise above. The last one we didn't have plans. We took the builder to a house we found we liked and he sketched out the floor plan and just built it from that. It's REAL hard to stick with a turn key plan! Take the above advise to heart!!

Keep your wife the hell away from pintrest

We had our home built in 2001. Your contractor may be great - ours was a tournament friend I'd mine I had known for a long time. However, a lot of the work will be done by subcontractors who will cut corners every chance they get. My wife was for informal foreman on our house. She would stop everyday after work and inspect what was done that day...especially once they were doing finishing work inside. If something wasn't to specs, she would raise heck with them and then call our contractor. I'm sure they got tired of seeing her. But once they realized they either did it right or had to do it again, things were better. It's your money, don't accept less than you paid for. Also, if you want something, get it now. My wife wanted granite counter tops and stainless appliances. But, they were expensive. So, we got something else. Now, they are even more expensive and we have to pay out of pocket. Get what you want from the beginning.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Visit the building site daily going over progress in detail. Provide immediate feedback on concerns.

Spend money on things that really matter. To us that was the kitchen, master bath, flooring and insulation. Some people make budget compromises thinking they will upgrade later. Additionally we looked for the best energy efficient furnace and air conditioning equipment. The better you do on energy cost containment, the lower your utility cost will be.

Work hard at your decision making on colors, cabinets, etc. Delaying decisions result in lost time and possibly making a bad decision.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Spend as much as you can towards insulation.
    First member of Kawasaki Outboard Prostaff

9. Member
    2 words, Double Wide

10. Member
    Keep em coming boys. Good stuff!!!

11. Matt20xd
    Worry more about quality then size. I see it all the time people build these big houses but can't afford to put quality products in it.

Don't be afraid to speak up. Don't let a carpenter/contractor talk you into something just because it'll be easier/cheaper for him. You're the one paying for it and living in it 24/7. They'll be gone in a couple months but you have to live with whatever they leave behind. Contractors are pretty notorious for being aggressive and sometimes a bully. Be strong up front and don't back down.

Build what you want, not what they want to build!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepags View Post
    Keep your wife the hell away from pintrest
    We have been going through a ten year re-model. Do you know how many times she brings me the iPad with Pintrest pulled up and says "we can replicate this for X amount ourselves".

14. Matt20xd
    Also have as much stuff decided before you even start. I mean everything from hinges light fixtures you name it. It will ultimately make the build process go a lot smother. The main reason things go over budget is because you make changes during the build.

15. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    My advice is to not do it. Buy an existing home. I've had many friends go through building a new house. They all have had nothing but turmoil. One ended in divorce.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Interview and choose an architect or a contractor and ask your questions to them.

17. Member
    I built my home in 1999. Builder was a good friend. As construction goes, my wife and I would see changes we wanted made. Builder would fight us. I told him that I realized that we had a contract price on a specific plan and that I did not mind paying for changes that would incur extra costs. I told him that if I wanted the toilet in the middle of the living room so I could watch TV and take a crap I expected to put it there. I said that when he drove the last nail and I said to bulldoze it down and start over, do it and send me the bill. He never fought me on any changes after that. It didn't hurt that I gave the carpenters an old trolling motor and tackle boxes and occasionally brought them cold drinks.

18. BBC SPONSOR
    You've been given great advice from others already and I agree.

A builder taught me something in the mid 80's. When the framing is done and before sheet rock or whatever goes up add a little extra help around your windows. He had added 12" pieces of 2x4 at the top of the window frames on the sides lapping up and down from the 90 angle. Once it's all closed up and you go to hang whatever curtain rods you decided if they extend past the window frame you will find a stud to attach to instead of anchors into sheet rock. Makes for a much more secure fit that will not be pulled out of the walls. Also, can be done with scrap lumber at no cost.

Also, if you are not putting in ceiling fans at least have the fixture boxes braced for a fan versus normal attach. Later if you decide to put a fan somewhere you will know that the fixture box will stay secured.

Good luck with your endeavor, sir.

Dennis
    D & H Designs, LLC
    MarineTrailerSavers.com

If you have sheet rock on the walls, demand that they use screws to attach it instead of nails. Within 6 months some nails will begin to back out and you'll have "nail pops." Then, you have to hassle with the builder to come back and fix it. That will takes weeks, you'll be pi$$ed and have to call them 2 more times until they finally come out and fix it. Then after your house warranty is up, more nail pops will occur. Avoid the nails and make them use screws.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Post Tension slab, seals up them cracks!
    "The Green Machine!"

1998 ProCraft 200 BASS
    1998 Mariner EFI 200 HP 2.5
    4 Blade Trophy 24P

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast