Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have a 2007 190 TX I purchased in September 2006. I have been very pleased with this model. It has been and still is a great fishing rig. It has served me well for the past 10+ years. I would buy another one today. My only recommendations would be, as some have said, to upgrade the trolling motor to 24 volt and max out the motor on the HP rating. Good luck with whatever you choose! The good thing is there are a lot of great choices out there today.
    2007 Bass Tracker 190 TX
    20006 Mercury 90 Optimax
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    6" CMC Manual Jack Plate
    21" Trophy Plus Prop
    Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxum
    Humminbird 898c SI and 998c SI at Console
    Humminbird 998c SI and 1199ci HD SI at bow
    Humminbird 360 at bow
    Ethernet Linked with 5 Port Hub

It all depends how much and under what conditions your going to use it. I owned a 2006 with the 90hp Changed props from 13 x 19 to 12 3/4 x 21 and got 45 - 47 mph gps . the rough water ride was as good as any boat and better than many including the RT I own now. Up grade to 80pt trolling motor. I did it myself and had no problem with battery placement. I also liked the custom cover that came with it. The model I had had rod lockers on both sides of the front deck if you used rod socks and a big storage compartment in the middle plus 2 boxes in the back and under the seat storage.
    The pit falls were the lid braces came loose and I had to rivet them back in place. I fish 4 or 5 days a week in any weather except snow. With that kind of use the wooden floors became weak and began to flex when walked on. I don't think they dried out good enough. It got to the point when you stood in the cockpit the console leaned. The carpet wore out in the cockpit area . Passenger's seat tore at the seams . I replaced it 2x's . I changed the depth finders to 7" with gps which I was able the mount in the dash by removing the speedometer and moving the tack and the gas gauge and a 5" on the bow. My eyes are not good enough for the 3" that come with it.
    When fishing it rode high in the front and low in the back so it made it hard to track straight when fishing into current or wind.
    If it were me and tracker was the boat I wanted I would get the 195. If speed is not your thing drop down from the 150 to a 115. That will cut the cost down a little.
    2016 RT 188

3. Member
    For 10 years of use at 4-5 days a year I would say it served you well.

I have been told by many (even dealer that sells both) that the Tracker will drive and ride better, but Ranger will sit flatter when fishing.
    He also says he can do better then listed price but won't be able to get RT188 down to 190TX price. So we need to decide if the extra money for Ranger is worth it. Or do we spend that money one better TM and Electronics.
    I really like the Ranger, but I also like thought of a 190TX with 24v I-pilot TM and HDS-7 for price of base Ranger.

4. Member
    I really like mine!

Tracker makes good boats, but lets get real. there is a reason they sell for less than Ranger, Xpress, Crestliner, and others. they still use wood. the fit and finish isn't done as well. cheaper carpet an seat material. resale value isn't even close. not knocking the Trackers. lots of happy owners. you can drive a Chevy or Ford just like a Cadillac, but there is a reason for the price difference.

6. Member
    JRdad,

Truth be told, only you can make the decision but coming here for honest answers is a great start. After it was mentioned that some rivets for the lids came loose, I recalled, I had to fix mine too. The other item that happened last year is that the compartment brace on the back of the lid had a few of the welds let go. I think it was because the rivets that hold the aluminum braces the lid sits on were loose as well.

Now, if I was in your shoes, what I would pick would depend on what I wanted out of the boat. 24V TM, good fishfinder, better handling and pretty good fish ability for the price of the base ranger would be hard to pass up. On the other hand, if you don't plan on keeping it long (because resale is nowhere near as good as the Ranger) or a stable fishing platform is more what you are looking for, it'd be hard to by the Tracker.

As stated before, there isn't enough within the RT to make me want to sell my boat as I don't see it as an upgrade. But if the RT was out when I bought my boat, I am not sure which way I would have went. In the end, you can't really go wrong with either. You just have to figure out which one better suits your needs.

7. Member
    Lape0019 that is exactly where I am at on my decision. I feel either will suit my needs. I do like the Ranger better, but feel I may like having the extras I can buy if I spend less on the Tracker......

Will have to do so thinking.... Wife says she is ok with either,,,,,,, But she REALLY like the charcoal or white Ranger...

8. Member
    I have a 2014 with a 115 pro xs 2 stroke and the only thing I hate is the front live well.

it definitely needs a 24V trolling motor!!!

I mainly based my decision on how close the nearest dealer is. (ranger dealer 50 miles one way, BPS was 10 minutes down the road)

9. Member
    I was in your shoes about 7 months ago. After owning a Tracker several years back and comparing the new tracker to the ranger RT face to face, it was no question for me. Fit and finish, better console, no wood, resale value, RT has more leg room(PT175 vs Rt178 im 6'4). Get the one you like most, thats the biggest expense. You can add stuff as you go.
    Last edited by Deerchaser; 01-23-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyd7937 View Post
    I have a 2014 with a 115 pro xs 2 stroke and the only thing I hate is the front live well.

it definitely needs a 24V trolling motor!!!

I mainly based my decision on how close the nearest dealer is. (ranger dealer 50 miles one way, BPS was 10 minutes down the road)
    I think BPS is starting to sale their Rangers at the stores. My dealer is also about 50 miles away but BPS is up the street.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    But she REALLY like the charcoal or white Ranger...
    Happy wife happy life!

As as much as I like my 190 TX. The Ranger was not available when I bought mine. I would have to really look hard at the Ranger in today's market.

One other thing that keeps getting mentioned is the wood deck in the trackers. Mine is still solid. I have had to remove it numerous times to run wire for upgrades to the trolling motor and electronics and it is as solid today as when I bought it in September 2006.
    Last edited by RuffWood; 01-23-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    2007 Bass Tracker 190 TX
    20006 Mercury 90 Optimax
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    6" CMC Manual Jack Plate
    21" Trophy Plus Prop
    Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxum
    Humminbird 898c SI and 998c SI at Console
    Humminbird 998c SI and 1199ci HD SI at bow
    Humminbird 360 at bow
    Ethernet Linked with 5 Port Hub

Here is something else to think about.. When my 2006 optimax on the tracker broke down in march of 2014. I took it to bass pro Where I got it. I had to drop it off and they called when they looked at it. I was without my boat for 2 weeks.
    In June of 2016 I had an overheat alarm go off on the 2015 optimax on my ranger. I called the dealer and the said bring it in. They looked at it when I got there. put it on the computer. Found the problem. fixed it and I was on my way and fishing the next day. So far my ranger was in the shop 2x . For the over heat and for regular service both times I was in and out in less than 2 hours.
    2016 RT 188

13. Member
    To be fair there could be more to that story. One any given dealer is going to be better or worse than another. 2 fixing something minor that the computer tells them to fix is likely a much simpler job than diagnosing and repairing a break down that they may or may not have parts for.

I will say if you are going to get a tracker and are going to buy it from a bps check out their service department as a whole they have a bad reputation but there are probably some exceptional ones out there. I bought my tracker from a dealer not bps that has a great reputation.

14. Member
    The main reason Trackers sell for less is they are the largest manufacturer in the industry. They can negotiate better prices on materials than the other brands. They use Lean Sigma production methods that also lower costs. Tracker uses robotic welding for their boats. The welds are consistent and look far better than the other brands. Tracker doesn't use wood for decks because of cost. They use it because it does a better job for the application. It is stiffer, adds more structural integrity, holds fasteners much better, is cooler, and is quieter. The material is also warranted for life. The hull, the welds, the interior stringers, and transom are lifetime warranted as well. The boats are not painted, it is baked on powder coat. Yes, of course I sell them, but I believe in the product and the support behind them.

I thought hard about it too. I like the looks of the Tracker better but ended up ordering the Crestliner VT 18 in December. Wider beam, chine and deck, all aluminum.

16. Member
    If I can get deal I want I will get Ranger.

I shopped for over 6 months and looked at the 190, RT188, and Crestliner. Unless you are just dead set on buying a new boat, look for a good used one 2-5 years old. I was told by a good friend to be patient and the right boat will be out there. I bought my used but it was only 2 month old( essentially new). Let someone else take the hit on depreciation if you can. I would def go with a 190 at the right price. In fact saw one on Craigslist recently 2015 with 15 hrs for 18K.. But I would need to upgrade TM to 24v and electronics..so went with the Ranger. Also, as some others have said, consider the location of the dealer and reputation...Really important to me....
    2016 Ranger RT188
    115 Yamaha SHO

"Well done is better than well said"- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Good to hear that people are happy with them. I really like the Ranger RT188 too, but can not justify the $4000 price difference.

Everyone I have talked to says it drives and rides great.
    I believe the price difference is without any haggling with the Ranger dealers probably. My dealer came down $3000. As a matter of fact, I had about a $3000 difference between two Ranger dealers and I know for sure that others have found the same thing. If you have a dealer wanting to sell a boat, they can deal on the boats. You also pay for some other things which some might call upgrades.....

The Ranger RangerTrail trailer is made of channel iron coated with armor coating and some trailers are hollow tubing which can hold water and stay damp when you take it out of the water. The Ranger has a fiberglass console with gel coat and flakes and is not plastic. The Ranger trailer has a bearing system that does not really require service like pulling and greasing and such and it is pressurized and sealed where water does not get in the wheel bearing. The axle and bearing system warranty is no maintenance and with the add is 10 years I think. The boat is all aluminum. In my opinion, the seats are made of a better vinyl. There is huge storage under the Ranger seats too which to me is a big deal. I think the Ranger is more stable on the front end when fishing which is a big deal to me. I could go on but just make sure you look at what you compare.....And try to find a dealer that will deal with you. I don't like the no haggle pricing. It would be great for my sister, but I want to be able to strike a bargain and a win/win for both me and the seller.

And I am NOT saying buy a Ranger. I like my RT188 but am not sure what I would do if buying today. Triton, Alumacraft, War Eagle, Excel, Crestliner - to name a couple of others ...All make fine boats. I was just commenting about the two you referred to.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

19. Member
    As Panama just pointed out, the differences in the trailers are worth noting. I have owned 2 Trackers in the past, both bought used,
    but well taken care of, and bought a new RT188 two years ago. I had to completely go thru one of the Tracker trailers, which had trailer brakes, and replace everything. The wood floor on the front deck of the Tracker is no big deal and I pulled mine up a couple of times to extend the length of rod storage and made it easier to run wiring for tm and electronics upgrades. Both boats were stable and fish well, but the overall quality & detail, (seats, latches, consoles, carpet, foam flotation, etc.) of the Ranger is better then the Trackers, IMHO. Try to go out with owners of both on the water and that may help you decide. Good Luck!

I had planned on buying a Tracker and I looked at several used ones first and I was only looking at 2014 and up.
    They were priced so close to new ones I finally quit looking at the used ones.
    Used Ranger tins were non existing in my area.
    I finally just went to my local Ranger dealer here before heading to Nashville to buy a Tracker 175txw
    The deal I got on my RT178 with alot of extras including tax was cheaper than the tracker was going to be.
    So needless to say I bought the Ranger.
    My brother bought a new Tracker 190 the same week and I have been in it and it is a very nice boat and I would gladly take one any day of the week.
    There are things I like alot on my Ranger and there are things I like alot on his Tracker.
    Now That I have this 178 I must say it is nice and the only way Ill ever get rid if it is if I decide to get a RT 198 in a couple years. Ill just have to wait and see.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast