Early model 500 series transom issues?

Just gained some information that there was some transom cracking issues with the early model 500 series with built in setback? Anyone have more information on this? Can't seem to find much on the web and that is the model I was looking at. Just want to be fully informed.

2. Member
    I've not heard of any issues. I have a 2000 520VX that's still rock solid.

3. Member
    I hit a log with my 2000 518 and tore the engine off. Engine was gone but the transom is still solid. I'm still running that boat.

4. Member
    No issues with mine after 15yrs. One of the best boats ever made, if it was taken care of then it shouldn't have issues.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

5. Member
    2000 520 DVX repowered with a 2015 Optimax. no issues here.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Just gained some information that there was some transom cracking issues with the early model 500 series with built in setback? Anyone have more information on this? Can't seem to find much on the web and that is the model I was looking at. Just want to be fully informed.
    I have a 2000 Ranger 520 DVX and a few years ago the transom broke. Luckily the factory fixed it up good as new, free of charge because of the lifetime warranty. The new one has much thicker stringers sistered up to my old stringers. The paperwork said it would have cost $5800 to repair. The factory was surprised that it broke, I never hit anything either.

7. Member
    I know of 2 1998 518 DVS that had there transom fixed and 1 519 that needs it. I was quoted close to 6000 for the repair but got my ins to cover it. The other, Ranger covered it because the owner was the original owner. The 519 has had a hard life. The repair Ranger does is rock solid. I do believe they use thicker aluminum angle in the repair area.