Thread: Bow hooked?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bow hooked?

Asked this question in the UF fishing team thread in the lounge but think it wouldn't get much attention. What exactly causes bow hook and what is the best way to prevent such from happening?

2. Member
    Are you referring to when your boat skids to the side at high speeds? If so, it generally occurs when your prop blade loses grip on the water from raising your motor too high when your pad is the only part of boat touching water. More common with boats that like their props even with or higher than pad...the boat will do a hard turn to side.

3. Member
    i was thinking over trim and turning at the same time

4. Member
    It happens when you have the bow of your boat out of the water while running. Your boat is up on the pad and if you drop the throttle or in their case hit a wave wrong and the bow hits the water it will turn around quick. So if your running all trimmed up don't just cut the throttle, trim down.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassin_man View Post
    Asked this question in the UF fishing team thread in the lounge but think it wouldn't get much attention. What exactly causes bow hook and what is the best way to prevent such from happening?
    Basically it is when the bow drops down into the water and creates what is know as a bow steering condition. Very dangerous at a high enough rate of speed as the boat can suddenly turn sharply in one direction or the other. You can simulate a less severe case of this by trimming way down when barely on plane and then accelerating some until you feel the boat start wanting to steer via the bow. Can be caused by numerous things but most common causes are chopping the throttle at speed, over-trimming and causing the prop to lose bite/ lift, overtaking a wake incorrectly and in this case a mechanical issue. Boats with a deeper keel up front are also more prone to having this happen.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    Basically it is when the bow drops down into the water and creates what is know as a bow steering condition. Very dangerous at a high enough rate of speed as the boat can suddenly turn sharply in one direction or the other. You can simulate a less severe case of this by trimming way down when barely on plane and then accelerating some until you feel the boat start wanting to steer via the bow. Can be caused by numerous things but most common causes are chopping the throttle at speed, over-trimming and causing the prop to lose bite/ lift, overtaking a wake incorrectly and in this case a mechanical issue. Boats with a deeper keel up front are also more prone to having this happen.
    Yes What he said......

7. Member
    thought i saw that the steering cable broke...

8. Member
    they lost steering
    Last edited by clearlake outdoors; 01-20-2017 at 08:41 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clearlake outdoors View Post
    T
    hey lost steering
    This question is mainly for my own knowledge as I have owned a Triton and Ranger and have never experienced or heard of such a thing so I was curious.

Think about riding a bicycle, particularly in a curve, and applying the front brake only. Essentially if a trimmed out, lifted boat for various reasons suddenly drops the bow into the water it has the effect of applying a front brake.

For the bike comparison, I'd say like riding a wheelie and coming down with the front tire at a sharp angle.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

12. Member
    Had a very similar problem occur on a guide trip in Mexico. Running at 35 steering broke. Boat hooked, tossed one guy into the console and the big guy 6'5" 250+ ejected. Drive killed the boat and got the ejection back into the boat. Scared the hell out of everybody. The guide service changed the steering out in every boat in their fleet.
    2003 Ranger 520VX
    2007 225 Mercury Optimax
    Lowrance 2-HDS-12's Touch Gen 2
    Lowrance 1-HDS-7 Touch Gen 2

13. Member
    There are over 1/2 dozen threads on this , it was confirms the steering bolt broke, but we don't know when.

Ive watched it a half dozen times, looks like as he is coming over the wake he hits throttle and steers hard, as the back of the boat is coming over the wake it could have caused the Lu to come out of the water as the bow drops and this will def cause the boat to spin left like that.

Ive blown out a bunch and it lols like this, I've just been lucky enough to always stay in, been beat up a bunch from it but have held on every time.

They make an ARP replacement bolt that's way stronger for hydro steering. Everyone should have them. I think they are now standard in the high perf cylinders but not in the normal ones.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post

Basically exactly what that young kid did in the video!
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

There are several ways to cause it and it's not hard to do. It happened to me several years ago, I was running about 35 and went to turn into a creek arm and there was a submerged log in the mouth of the creek, the boat never touched the log but the lower unit caught it and it kicked the motor up, the prop lost bite and the nose dropped and around we went, you can also do by trimming down too much at speed and getting too much of the bow in the water and she'll turn on you like an ex wife, hell I've seen Hank Parker do it,you guy's remember the the fishing league where they fished pat of the day and boat raced the other part, he trimmed down too much to turn and spun it out.

16. Member
    If the cable broke prop torque would have turn boat to the left. Nose of boat/sharp keel went over wave, he decreased throttle, nose bit on other side of wave. Stern lifted and passed the bow. They are lucky to be alive!

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis S. View Post
    If the cable broke prop torque would have turn boat to the left. Nose of boat/sharp keel went over wave, he decreased throttle, nose bit on other side of wave. Stern lifted and passed the bow. They are lucky to be alive!
    Torque from the prop tries to turn a boat to the right. That's why you add pressure left to stop chine walk.

18. Banned
    "There are over 1/2 dozen threads on this"

I think this is a record for the most reposts on one topic!

Quote Originally Posted by Comb655 View Post
    Are you referring to when your boat skids to the side at high speeds? If so, it generally occurs when your prop blade loses grip on the water from raising your motor too high when your pad is the only part of boat touching water. More common with boats that like their props even with or higher than pad...the boat will do a hard turn to side.
    I thought when the foot lost contact?

Ask Gary Dobyns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast