Muddy Water Setup

The four lakes I fish in the Spring are flood control lakes. They lower the lakes in the Winter and hold water in the Spring to a predetermined fill curve. The lakes are muddy all Spring with visibility zero to a few inches. I am using generation3 graphs and am looking for help on how to set them up for this type of water. Any suggestions on how to best set-up for this type of water?
    <*)\\\|><)
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles

2. Member
    Should be set up as you would for any inland lake. The muddy water will not affect the sonar all that much. Basic installation of transducers and other infrastructure should be exactly the same. After the install, the on the water setup might need tweaking. I would suggest saving you current settings and other variations of the origenal as you go along. If you don't like an adjustment you made and can seem to get it back to where it was before, simply reload the version you had before the blunder and try again.

Think you are over thinking this.

good luck

3. Member
    I have gen 11 hrs 8s the structure scan does not work as good in muddy water I fish Weiss Lakę. Ive tried everything, just leave it where it's at. But I could be doing something wrong too

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley21SS View Post
    I have gen 11 hrs 8s the structure scan does not work as good in muddy water I fish Weiss Lakę. Ive tried everything, just leave it where it's at. But I could be doing something wrong too
    There is definitely a difference in muddy water.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

5. Member
    In really muddy water it's just not going to work as good. The sand and silt don't let the sonar shoot like it should and it soaks up some of the rays.

6. Member
    There is a definite difference from clear to muddy water with my Gen 1. If it gets down to less than 6" of visibility, I have to turn the contrast down to 50-55.

7. Member
    Should not make very little, if any, difference on setup.

8. Member
    For what it's worth, I fish the Missouri River as my home water. I would say for best friend is the surface clarity and I'd be adjusting it every time to the water.

I had less than 12 inches visibility and still able to get great pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murrydog View Post
    The four lakes I fish in the Spring are flood control lakes. They lower the lakes in the Winter and hold water in the Spring to a predetermined fill curve. The lakes are muddy all Spring with visibility zero to a few inches. I am using generation3 graphs and am looking for help on how to set them up for this type of water. Any suggestions on how to best set-up for this type of water?
    Ok Went back to lake and adjusted surface clarity and contrast. This is Sardis Lake Mississippi, the lake has come up about 5 feet in last 10 days and is very muddy. The visibility is near zero.
    This is a point that drops into 30 feet of water on 3 sides.

This is where the point drops in the old river bottom

So what do you think? Is there anything else to help improve shot? Using a Gen 3 9 inch
    <*)\\\|><)
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles

10. Member
    What is you contrast? I think it still needs to come way down. You seem to be washing everything out still. Keep it as dark as possible.

11. Member
    Thanks, i will try turning it down some. When i tried this before the muddy water started showing up as streaks on the screen. Next warm day I will give it a try.
    <*)\\\|><)

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Also try switching your frequency from 455 to 800 and see if that helps.