Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Ok, I finally got my fuel pressure gauge lined out and quit fishing long enough to run the pressure tests.
    Idle: 33 psi
    Acceleration: 33-34 psi
    After shut off,
    15 sec: 32 psi
    30 sec: 32 psi
    60 sec: 32psi

I have noticed a few things, having ran the boat more now though, the spitting and sputtering while getting on plane is intermitant. Sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. It usually does. Seems to run fine at speed, it'll run 57-58 mph (gps) with two big dudes and all our fishing gear. Idle is not always that great though, sometimes I have to give it throttle to start, and if I have to do that, I have a hard time getting it in gear and moving before it dies. But I have also noticed that if I trim it about half way up when I shut down to fish, it starts back a lot easier and runs better.

I also noticed one day, after a lot of idling around a lake scanning and playing with my new sonars, that I got a lot of the black goop running down my skeg again. I know that is fuel wash out the exhaust, just seems excessive. When I make longer runs at higher speeds, I don't seem to have that problem. Thanks for the help!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look at the back of the intake, and see if there is any sign that fuel has been running down the back of the intake (perhaps from a small 90-degree fitting with holes in it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sounds like a similar problem I was having flooding out not starting then running fine for a few trips then it would leave me stranded again put it in the shop a few times and they would say we can't find anything wrong. Then the last time he said he found that 90 degree fitting that he said was a one one valve was letting fuel seep back in he changed it been fine now for 7 trips I hope mine is fixed.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not a case of changing out the fitting... this is the VST Vent. If fuel is dumping at this location, there is a problem with the needle, seat, or float inside the VST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I looked at the back of the intake the best I could without taking anything apart, I'm taking it out for the weekend, leaving in the morning so I didn't want to dig to deep just yet. But, I did notice that the back of the intake was wet, not dripping, but just damp with fuel. I didn't notice an elbow fitting with any holes in it, but I did see 2 brass elbows in the upper port side of the manifold. The wetness was more noticible on the port side, but I couldn't pinpoint it to a source. I'll dig deeper next week, after I get back from Table Rock. Thanks!

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Very likely that the VST is over-flowing (intermittently)- which creates a gas-leak into the intake, and down the back of the intake.

A word of CAUTION: Leaking fuel poses a risk of FIRE or EXPLOSION. If there is any question- I would strongly recommend NOT running it.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBass1986 View Post
    so the fuel pump diaphram stopped the leak?. I have gas coming out of my lower unit on port side with the water. I can't see any leaks up top.
    Please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and open your OWN SEPARATE THREAD for your engine.

There should be only ONE engine per thread, to avoid confusion (and something commonly referred to as "Post Hi-Jacking"). Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12